UPS and Aetna denied my PTSD claim 5 times , saying they dont cover if caused by combat, it wasn't

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yes. The insurance company has no obligation to cover his treatment. Where specifically does having a rough childhood fall under a life insurance policy?

Not life insurance, health insurance. PTSD is a real, diagnosable and treatable condition. They won't cover it if it was caused by combat because VA should cover it. My guess is that their reasoning is that the military wouldn't accept you if you already had PTSD, so it must have been caused by combat experience. The problem is that when PTSD manifests, it's usually been building off of traumatic events throughout a person's life. Combat may just be the thing that causes the dam to fail, as it were, and there is no putting the water back. People have to relearn how to cope with life from scratch.

watdaflock?

Not life insurance, health insurance. PTSD is a real, diagnosable and treatable condition. They won't cover it if it was caused by combat because VA should cover it. My guess is that their reasoning is that the military wouldn't accept you if you already had PTSD, so it must have been caused by combat experience. The problem is that when PTSD manifests, it's usually been building off of traumatic events throughout a person's life. Combat may just be the thing that causes the dam to fail, as it were, and there is no putting the water back. People have to relearn how to cope with life from scratch.
Ya, I get it. My brother is a veteran. Anything related to "post traumatic" will automatically get forwarded to the VA. No way you can have a history of PTSD and expect your civilian health insurance to cover some new claim.
You'd have to go for some pre-existing medical condition which worsened after serving in the military.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I’m not sure whether that sounds more like a private insurance obligation or government disability payment thing to me.
Probably both. You'd hope that the insurance and treatment does its job so that the government doesn't have to pay disability.

I mean how do you deny someone that's looking for help? That's like denying a ups driver a knee replacement because "you're not the only one with a physical job"

Box Ox

I mean how do you deny someone that's looking for help? That's like denying a ups driver a knee replacement because "you're not the only one with a physical job"

Definitely happens way too often in this Country with all sorts of mental and physical ailments that people shouldn’t have to bankrupt themselves to get taken care of.

RealEdwilliams

As horrific as that sounds....

Was anyone charged with a crime, convicted of it, and spent time in prison ?
Nope I never reported, Oh, and, he died ten years ago, 8.5 years before this broke me on April 23rd 2017. And sir, what is your point here? Trying to not get defensive here friend, my therapist digs that I'm able to finally talk about this with out weeping, well, not quite there yet but lol typing is way better then talking about it still. So many new disgusting memories pop up each week in therapy now, I guess I'm healing. Sigh I also tried, as a child might, reporting my foster care problems(the last foster home I was in used me as a slave and beat me constantly for 2 years, it was the last foster home I was in, authorities involved after the beatings were discovered, if you need "proof"), by then i was a much older, wiser child, 10 year old, I tried telling my case worker, but, always fell on deaf ears, she would just smile at me and return me to that house/prison. I bet Oregon State shredded my records, no, I haven't looked, remember,mum still IN the now 18+ month crisis, I want to kill myself at least a dozen times a day friend ... I apologize, drinking coffee and haven't taken those awesome VA meds yet this morning... you didn't deserve that . I had 9.5 years of MASSIVE trauma, at 10, I was a mean little disturbed :censored2:. Sorry not sorry, I hope you understand, and yes I will answer any questions, this is therapy. :restless: We need to talk about mental health, not hide them away.

Hope you get the help you need. I empathize with you and will be hoping for best possible outcome for you.
Aetna is more of a terrible corporation than ups, if you can believe that. I know there’s a special place in hell for both. They’ll deny you no matter what. Erisa law protects them to not pay anything more than they would’ve to begin with. Not one cent. Why would they pay? You have to take them to federal court.
Pulling for you as you fight. :censored2: em

RealEdwilliams

Oh and no idea what happened to her, see: I was 10, plus, I apparently blocked most of these trauma memories out until, well, they started popping up. I am curious though about her, tried driving thru that neighborhood, but can never find the house..... Started looking in my late 20s when the memories started to pop up, via nightmares, or flashes or call them what you may... still having memories "new" memories... they are kinda new, but, you know they're real and true and usually it's a disgusting memory or a very very painful one. Like, trip to ER painful, but i digress and this is getting wordy. Great question, man, i feel a little better actually, and yes therapy works just like that lol I know you're not a therapist, and this is to everyone, taking a moment to read this really, ok NOW I'm crying, THANK YOU for listening, I just wanted to be heard :)

RealEdwilliams

Crap--now I suppose I have to scroll back up and find out what caused it. Oh screw it---I don't care.
Just wow. That was hateful, on purpose, why? Do you feel anonymity makes it ok to degrade someone? Regardless if the person is in mental health crisis, it's not right period. Please unfollow this thread sir, you are not helping.

Box Ox

Just wow. That was hateful, on purpose, why? Do you feel anonymity makes it ok to degrade someone? Regardless if the person is in mental health crisis, it's not right period. Please unfollow this thread sir, you are not helping.

Don’t take it personally. @rod is old enough to have been on the Titanic when it sank. Might not even realize what he’s typing.

RealEdwilliams

Omg you sir understand! Someone finally gets it! Let me clarify the "dam burst" late 2016, my Aunt died , she was the one who took the 5 of us in when mom abandoned us, think I was 6mo old according to mom. My Aunt was my "mom " in my childhood brain, cuz, mom poofed, yes aetna knows all these details, this is still just the tip of that 8.5 YEAR hell period that I started life with. When she died it rocked me to the core , out of nowhere I fell apart. But, life was not done! From then until April 23rd 2017, many traumatic real life events started happening, several health issues, requiring ER trips on some, and a couple surgeries, and then my brain just finally broke and I think the old RealEdwilliams died, and I'm now creating a new me. With zero financial support from my company. They supported me until April 23rd 2017.

RealEdwilliams

Do you know how hard it is to fill out paperwork, or, shower/eat when in a suicidal mental health crisis, and UPS/Aetna used that moment to not hire a lawyer for me, (yes I had legal coverage but I had basically turned into a child, they call it regression), and tell me what to write on their own forms.. this i remember from the "dream" I call last year, any idiot who knows me would see a 12 year old wrote the disability claim and then rapid, short, appeals.. and, Aetna admits they used ZERO doctors in this case decision. No doctors were involved in my denial, Aetna typed that on a form I'm looking at. :) they claim *I* told them I had ptsd from combat when they interviewed me over the phone, right after I was discharged from mental health ward. Yeah, smells funky

RealEdwilliams

Probably both. You'd hope that the insurance and treatment does its job so that the government doesn't have to pay disability.

Yes, that point right there that people should be focused on. I got out of the VA mental health ward, on a bunch of new drugs from said VA. Out of my freaking mind, no friends or fam, cuz I just spent 50 years pushing everyone away, and they really are not coming back lol even now, no visit except may be a couple mid 2017, I remember a couple friends checking on me, ex wife still checks in, so not completely alone :) still no family, I digress, in MID-CRISIS UPS dumped my income, terminated my healthcare, RETROACTIVELY to last day worked. I was in the middle of a hemorrhoidectomy procedure that needed followup, also just had a laser done on my pennis for a stricture that stopped me from urinating(painful!).. So how many more details does everyone want, it was a rough patch, right before my brain melted, on April 23rd 2017 donyou know how hard it is to explain all this to a new primary care provider whp has no idea what is going on? Fyi, VA splits up mental health care, so my new VA PCP literally had no idea, still doesn't lol I want my civilian health care back damnit! I had a GREAT Doc, he was a veteran, and he got me. Way better and faster care. Oh, VA took my toe nail off 3 days ago, I have a cool pic of it. Bit painful, wouldn't recommend

RealEdwilliams

What i really want is to shine a very big bright spotlight on this. So nobody ever has to choose between suicide and fighting back. In their moment of crisis we should support our veterans and civilians alike. You don't just take their income, and kick them off insurance, and say good luck with that, sucks to be you right now.

I'm fighting to make sure they dont do this to the next person who is suicidal, and their company says WE DON'T CARE.

Im scraping my way back, thanks to the one person who stuck with me, my girlfriend lol I feel so bad for her sometimes , taking care of a 50 year old 12 year old. That was never in the GF job description. Thank you Wendy :) I love you so much :)

RealEdwilliams

I’m not sure whether that sounds more like a private insurance obligation or government disability payment thing to me.
So, for the record, UPS stated in a letter to me DURING one of the appeals that, it was the government that screwed me up, so the financial obligation to support my disability falls on them. I'm paraphrasing but that's the gist. So many letters... I keep everything though. Now, again, zero doctors at Aetna looked at my case, I have that from Aetna, in letter form. :) My old doctors and now new VA doctors state the ptsd is clearly from "massive childhood trauma" go look at ANY record of mine, it's all there. Nope, declined, you were in combat 25 years ago so denied. So, VA is saying its my childhood, UPS says its the GOVERNMENT. All while the veteran can barely feed himself, and you take his money and health care while he's suicidal.