UPS and the USPS

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Out on my delivery area. It's the usps route carrier is who decides if they feel like delivering our packages after I deliver to them. Some days they say they have too much work. Deliver the next day. I have 6 Post Offices to get too. 3 to 4 the route carrier has already left. By the time I get there. My last Office- I have to break off to get there before they close at 5.

pretzel_man

I had a customer tell me a couple weeks ago "I dont pay for UPS shipping to have the post office leave it hanging on my mailbox" and I totally agree. It is a total sham to our customers and needs to be addressed in the next contract. You cant tell me the only way we can keep those accounts is by offering them basic service for cheaper shipping. I noticed this week Cabelas is using basic now as well. UPS is doing everything possible to eliminate routes and jobs.

Some items you mention need to be clarified.....

First, the customer (whether the shipper or consignee) did NOT pay for UPS ground service. They paid for Surepost. Surepost is a contract service and is a lower cost than UPS ground service. UPS picks up, sorts, transports, and delivers the package to the post office. USPS then makes the final mile delivery. This is supposed to take one additional day by plan....

This is NOT a service where UPS decides to have USPS deliver the package to save cost or cut routes and drivers as you say.....

This leads to the second point. Yes, the way to keep the accounts is to offer a cheaper service. FedEx already had Smartpost and we are losing customers to them. Customers are asking for a cheaper solution. We cannot hide from that.

Think about it. Why would UPS choose to offer a lower priced AND lower profit alternative if it were not necessary? Its being demanded by the marketplace.

Customers love our drivers. They should, since our drivers are the best in the world. But, its time for a reality check......

Our list mile delivery cost is by far the highest of all the options. FedEx Ground delivers 3 million ground packages a day and they are cheaper. USPS is also a competitor and they are cheaper.

I have NOT and have NEVER complained about the wages our drivers make. They are worth it, but not all customers are willing to pay that wage.

In order to stay competitive, we need to continue to offer services like Sureport, Mail Innovations, etc. that meet the market demand. We also need to keep our cost to serve as low as possible.

If we do not do these things, more volume will leave to non union competitors. This is the business reality of the situation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

P-man, I don't do a lot of online shopping but of all the shopping that I have done I have yet to see SurePost or SmartPost as one of the shipping options. Customers see "free shipping" and "UPS" and most don't bother or care to read the fine print that, for the most part, is not even there for them to read. I realize that we can't tell online retailers what to put on their websites but if they were to detail exactly what happens and the delays built in to either option I wonder how many consumers would still choose to have their orders sent using either option, especially if time is an issue.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
But the customer is led to believe that the item is being shipped via UPS. Which it is, to their local post office. But there is nothing there to tell the customer that in most cases. Then it shows up a day or two later than expected laying beside their mailbox or in a wal mart bag tied to it. Looks bad on UPS because remember the the cumstomer believes the item was delivered by UPS.
​Yes there is. Anything that goes to the post office has a PT in the tracking number. All they have to do is look at the tracking number.

pretzel_man

P-man, I don't do a lot of online shopping but of all the shopping that I have done I have yet to see SurePost or SmartPost as one of the shipping options. Customers see "free shipping" and "UPS" and most don't bother or care to read the fine print that, for the most part, is not even there for them to read. I realize that we can't tell online retailers what to put on their websites but if they were to detail exactly what happens and the delays built in to either option I wonder how many consumers would still choose to have their orders sent using either option, especially if time is an issue.

I understand and I share your concern.

However, it is still driven by the marketplace, and consumer expecations. Everyone wants free shipping, but shipping is not free.

OnLine retailers are asking for this "no-frills" service.... No guaranty. Additional 1 to 2 days transit. No 3 delivery attempts.

It is designed to respond to FedEx Smartpost and appears to be a better product than theirs.

As long as the demand remains for a cheaper delivery alternative, UPS must look at the best way to respond to the demand.

Maybe shippers will offer an upgraded service on their website? Maybe UPS will offer consignees to upgrade to a UPS delivery service while the package is in transit?

In either case, the consumer will need to pay for "free shipping"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just placed an order on amazon.com which included free super saver shipping. I clicked on The Fine Print and found this within the disclaimer:

Weekend delivery cannot be requested. We use a variety of carriers to deliver orders, and some do not deliver on weekends.

To be fair, they also offered Standard, Two Day and One Day shipping.

AKX

​Yes there is. Anything that goes to the post office has a PT in the tracking number. All they have to do is look at the tracking number.

Ill be sure to start telling all my customers monday morning to look for the PT, ......not.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I deliver to a rural post office. Usually about 10 to 15 packages a day. Had a bigger load than normal the other day so I asked the clerk where he wanted me to put them. He told me to just put them by the FedEx cart. I asked him if they always got that many by FedEx and he said that some days FedEx never even shows up so thats why there was an unusual amount.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

HR, I may be wrong, but I don't think FedEx handles their SmartPost the same way we handle SurePost. Our SurePost packages are handled like any other package except for the final leg, which goes to the Post Office. FedEx SmartPost is not processed through their ground facilities--they are transported by FedEx feeders directly to a Post Office processing center. This is the way that I understand it--someone please correct me if I am wrong.

helenofcalifornia

Or in one of my customers cases, the package was RTS'd by the Post Office since it didn't have a PO box on the package. He asks me where the package is, I ask the PO, and they don't know. They don't keep track of the packages that they RTS. Kinda confusing if you ask me. I too think there should be some sort of declaration that the Post Office will be the ultimate deliverer (sp?) of the package.

What'dyabringmetoday???

HR, I may be wrong, but I don't think FedEx handles their SmartPost the same way we handle SurePost. Our SurePost packages are handled like any other package except for the final leg, which goes to the Post Office. FedEx SmartPost is not processed through their ground facilities--they are transported by FedEx feeders directly to a Post Office processing center. This is the way that I understand it--someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I think that they subcontract the work. I could be wrong. At least we get to deliver the stuff to the post office. My bet is Hoffa will start letting them take these packages out of the system to help out.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Conversation with customer a few months back:

Cust.-"You left my package at my friend's house on the other road.'

Me- "I did? Are you sure it was me? What day was it? Maybe it was a cover driver?"

Cust.- "My friend brought it to me."

Me-" Can I see the pkg?"

Cust. "Sure."

Me- "See this 'basic" right here? That means the mailman left it at your friend's house. You will have to ask him why."

over9five

Staff member
No one will ask the mailman why. People expect the mailman to misdeliver stuff. Doesn't everyone occasionally get their neighbors mail???

onewithedd

FedEx freight delivers their version of our Surepost/Basic. They deliver pallets two to three times per week, I deliver roughly 150 to 225 packages everyday, during non peak during peak they remove it, as it won't fit in my car. I believe it jumps to 300 to 450 for peak. . From what the dock employees say they get more from FedEx than UPS. When we started this service 6 years ago I think I delivered around 30 packages. It's truly amazing how many companies have been going this direction.

I have to laugh though, I can tell you the Post Office has refused delivery from FedEx many, many times because the pallets have broken loose and the packages are all over the semi, they just say "take it back and re-wrap it" or they show up to late and they won't answer the door. They really hate FedEx.

Jigawatts

Is it just me, or is the post office getting jobbed by UPS. I mean, it cost 44 cents to mail a measly little envelope. I know the post office is losing about 4 billion dollars per week and needs to generate any income possible, but don't they only get $1.00 per package through UPS? 44 cents for an envelope and $1.00 for a box the size of a few mailboxes. Plus these post office employees have to drive their trucks all they way down long driveways, get out of the vehicle, and throw the package in the vicinity of the nearest door. I'm guessing this increases the average postal employees paycheck.

Once again, I'm not an expert in this, but it just doesn't make much sense.

pretzel_man

I'm not 100% sure if this is due to Surepost......

I was purchasing a gift on-line and here were my shipping options:

UPS Ground (7 - 10 days) $0.00
UPS Ground $16.94
3 Day Select $19.97
UPS 2nd Day Air A.M. $27.36
UPS 2nd Day Air $24.90
UPS Next Day Air Saver $36.66
UPS Next Day Air Early A.M. $83.79
UPS Next Day Air $41.39

Again, not sure if the free option for ground was surepost, but I had an option. that is the first time I've seen a second ground choice.

BTW, I chose the free UPS option. I will accept the later delivery for the savings.

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
BTW, I chose the free UPS option. I will accept the later delivery for the savings.

Assuming that the "free" option is Surepost, then it isnt a "UPS" option at all... it is a "US Mail" option.

We should require full disclosure for the Surepost service that makes the consignee aware of who will actually be delivering the package to them. When the consigness winds up finding their package lying in a puddle of water underneath a mailbox by the side of the road, it is important that they understand that the Post Office delivered it, not us. We need to "protect our brand" and not allow the UPS name to be attached to a substandard level of service.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Assuming that the "free" option is Surepost, then it isnt a "UPS" option at all... it is a "US Mail" option.

We should require full disclosure for the Surepost service that makes the consignee aware of who will actually be delivering the package to them. When the consigness winds up finding their package lying in a puddle of water underneath a mailbox by the side of the road, it is important that they understand that the Post Office delivered it, not us. We need to "protect our brand" and not allow the UPS name to be attached to a substandard level of service.