Ups cares about the customers or numbers?

Does ups today care more about the customers or numbers?

• Customers first numbers second

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Numbers first customers second

Votes: 90 73.2%
  • Ups used to care about customers only!

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters

bellesotico

BOXstar
Hmmm, that's very suspicious. Who did you turn them in to? I wonder if someone else is getting credit for your leads.

Browndevil is right. You have to go to the next level. Someone has dropped the ball big-time on this one!

We have been directed to turn them into the preload manager. I know that two of my leads are active accounts now.

Dutch Dawg

you guys don't get it. the numbers measure or affect the service we provide.

Oh I get it all right....

Take care of the numbers and the numbers will take care of the customer.

Problem is the numbers are so skewed by those that input them as a result of the pressure they feel from above to insure good performance review that the numbers only result in the system chasing it's tail.

The current approach and mentality of 'we've gotta find ways of cutting costs...' has resulted in far more financial loss than upper management is willing to admit. One common example is the concept of lose a supervisor, spread that work over several adjoining already overworked supervisors to save the preceived labor cost. Problem is in reality it results in additional areas receiving even less attention and less true cost control or profit return. I say true, cause I'm sure the report numbers don't show reality. But then again what do I know?

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
HAHA good one outamyway.......I knew I read something in that fashion somewhere, but I couldn't remember which thread it was posted on.

QKRSTKR

you guys don't get it. the numbers measure or affect the service we provide.

How do the numbers though reflect the service we provide delivering business stops and 5 minutes till 5. As long as it's delivered, that's all they care about. They don't see the upset customers.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How do the numbers though reflect the service we provide delivering business stops and 5 minutes till 5. As long as it's delivered, that's all they care about. They don't see the upset customers.

It would be interesting to be a supervisor at one of the call centers or an account rep who has to deal with the different problems customers have with ups. I bet most of the complaints from the shippers are in direct relationship with what center teams are told what to do with routes to try to make the numbers...ie, missed packages, cutting out routes, late air, overloaded drivers, grouchy drivers...etc. These are not always drivers problems but end up becoming their problems. How the hell is this good for business???I think some of the shippers are starting to realize these things are are jumping ship. They were willing to pay more for our services because of the personal interaction and the better service. If our service drops to the same level as fedex ground and dhl AND they are cheaper why not just use them...do you blame the customers? Why doesnt ups get this, I really dont understand. I think upper management needs to go out on car and see this for themselves...its time for a reality check, ups' service orientated goals are slipping and we are slipping down the ladder a few steps while fedex seems to be stepping up. What is ups going to do about it, oh, I know cut out more routes and tell us to move faster.....ummm... and to use the handrail!

Oh I get it all right....

Take care of the numbers and the numbers will take care of the customer.

Problem is the numbers are so skewed by those that input them as a result of the pressure they feel from above to insure good performance review that the numbers only result in the system chasing it's tail.

The current approach and mentality of 'we've gotta find ways of cutting costs...' has resulted in far more financial loss than upper management is willing to admit. One common example is the concept of lose a supervisor, spread that work over several adjoining already overworked supervisors to save the preceived labor cost. Problem is in reality it results in additional areas receiving even less attention and less true cost control or profit return. I say true, cause I'm sure the report numbers don't show reality. But then again what do I know?
You know alot more than UPS management is willing to give you credit for and so do I and most other drivers and loaders.
Beside the truth that the numbers are skewed, the fact is that any delay (regardless of who's responsible) is not reflected in those numbers. Planed day, SPORH, over/under and dispatch are not adjusted for little matters that are not the norm but do occur occasionally. I spent a good twenty minutes yesterday trying to recover a misdelivered package (by someone else) and only reveived time cerdit for the follow up for one stop and two packages. My numbers were shot to begin with because of leaving the building late, the add that to the time lost on the driver follow up, I'll be lucky if I am not two hours over allowed for the day.

Yes Tie we do get it. We just don't buy it.

Foamer Pyle

Tieguy, we all know that UPS manipulates the numbers to coincide with the current business plan. The IE department does not take everything into account, therfore the numbers are not valid. If I delivered 25 one pound packeges to the second floor of an office or 25 fifty pound packages to that same office, the time allowance is no different. IE has taken time away for COD allowance, letterboxes, and numerouse other aspects of our job. I have been doing this job for almost 20 years, and this job has not gotten easier, it has become more difficult.

feeder53

ADKtrails
No matter how hard you work, you can not do more with less. Statistics.........they can say anything you program into the equation...

tieguy

Banned

how does our tracking missed packages, late airs, time in transit , missed delivery scans affect our service to our customer?

Who do our productivity numbers affect the cost we charge to deliver a package?

How does productivity affect the reliability of our service?

there is a correlation between the numbers we track and the overall service package we provide our customers.

Foamer Pyle

I honestly believe that missed packages, late airs, accidents, and injuries are all affected by the false numbers corporate is shoving down everyone's throats. Every employee has their own physical limits, and pushing people to those limits on a daily basis has ill effects on all of the above mentioned items. You wouldnt run your personal vehicle at 7000 rpm's all day, why force your employees to do so? Really, it amounts to nothing more than cause and effect.