Ups cares about the customers or numbers?

Does ups today care more about the customers or numbers?

• Customers first numbers second

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Numbers first customers second

Votes: 90 73.2%
  • Ups used to care about customers only!

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters

705red

Browncafe Steward
You see how things are done around the world on this website deealing with ups. Now lets see how the management style has changed over the years.

over9five

Staff member
I don't think you can clearly answer the management style question. You'd have to divide it up.

How has front line management style changed?

How has upper management style changed?

Front line management seems to be in touch with what actually goes on in the real world. They sympathize, but have no power to change much.

Upper management now live in the "Ivory Tower". They have no concept of what goes on in the trenches. They send the EMail to the front line, and all must obey.

In the past, all management seemed to present one united front. Now, I don't know. You can see that your sup doesn't agree with what he has to do. I think it is wearing on them to do the impossible (or the insane!).

705red

Browncafe Steward
I don't think you can clearly answer the management style question. You'd have to divide it up.

Front line management seems to be in touch with what actually goes on in the real world. They sympathize, but have no power to change much.

Upper management now live in the "Ivory Tower". They have no concept of what goes on in the trenches. They send the EMail to the front line, and all must obey.

In the past, all management seemed to present one united front. Now, I don't know. You can see that your sup doesn't agree with what he has to do. I think it is wearing on them to do the impossible (or the insane!).
Your the poll expert and i was going to pm you to start this, but then i remembered your last poll was 200%. LOL

outamyway

Considering all I've done for my center and all they care about is my over allowed time as an AIRDRIVER!!!!!

I think you know my vote.

atatbl

This poll needs more options. Like... "Management cares about getting every single package to the customer BECAUSE their numbers are bad if they do not."

I think the customer may get appropriate service quite often because the numbers will look bad if they don't. Know what I mean?

over9five

Staff member
This poll needs more options. Like... "Management cares about getting every single package to the customer BECAUSE their numbers are bad if they do not."

I think the customer may get appropriate service quite often because the numbers will look bad if they don't. Know what I mean?

And Atatbl has now added a new question:

Is "appropriate service" as good as "great service"? I don't think a customer would like to hear a sales pitch selling our "appropriate service"!

BigBrownSanta

I think over9five is right. You don't see the unified front of sups anymore. They know the numbers are skewed but they are powerless to get things corrected.

I think bloodybrown mentioned today in another thread in reference to 3 day rides that "drivers lose time with customer contact". I think that pretty much says it all. ie, don't worry about the personal service to the consignee, just get the signature and move on. As long as it gets delivered before the commit time and there are no missed, that's good enough.

As I have said before, it's quantity over quality.

Upper management now live in the "Ivory Tower". They have no concept of what goes on in the trenches. They send the Email to the front line, and all must obey.

I agree with your statement but would also like to add that upper management absolutely pisses money away either in out and out waste or in spending on equipment or procedures that if they listened to the front liners and or workers they would find out there are ways to do the job less expensively and more efficiently.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
These statements are accurate and valid !!!
Front line sups are powerless and must obey orders from the Ivory Tower
Their jobs depend on it, more than we can understand as Drivers

I think over9five is right. You don't see the unified front of sups anymore. They know the numbers are skewed but they are powerless to get things corrected.

I think bloodybrown mentioned today in another thread in reference to 3 day rides that "drivers lose time with customer contact". I think that pretty much says it all. ie, don't worry about the personal service to the consignee, just get the signature and move on. As long as it gets delivered before the commit time and there are no missed, that's good enough.

As I have said before, it's quantity over quality.
Then they want us to turn in sales leads.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think bloodybrown mentioned today in another thread in reference to 3 day rides that "drivers lose time with customer contact".

Customer contact is encouraged in my center. The problem then becomes what is considered appropriate and what may be considered excessive. Conversation during bulk stop deliveries can give you a good sense of that customers' level of satisfaction with us and can help you assess their needs/wants and relay these to the mgt team. Shorter deliveries do limit this interaction but should still give you enough time to note any concerns/issues this customer may have with us.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hey atlanta i hope you are reading this poll as of right now 46 people say that you dont care about the cutomers while 6 say you do as of right now.

It is the cutomer that pays our wages and yes even your salaries.

I sholud have also had as an answer the stockholders or cutomers.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I think with all the parts in UPS, they care about everything in the same number or aspect.

So parts of leadership only care about numbers. While drivers have to care about people with the package and the shape its in. The higher ups care about numbers moreso, and they invented HR to care about people.

It is all in a yin yang effect, only if your paying attention.

A

Anonymous Knot

First time visitor to this website, hope you guys don't bash me. Stumbled upon this website while looking for EDCOR of all things. In my tenur with UPS, though, I've had good and bad managers. Some cared only about production numbers, some cared only about cutting costs at all costs, but I've had some who cared about the employees as their top priority. My current boss is all about process improvement. "Milk was spilt, let's make sure that doesn't happen again." So, I would have to vote for customers if I could vote in this survey. But then again, my job security isn't decided by the whims of top brass, either. Thanks for letting me play!

over10.5

Its all about the numbers. Go quicker. Skip your lunch. Dont worry about your break. Production, production, production.( But work safely)

bellesotico

BOXstar
Then they want us to turn in sales leads.

Must be nice to get credit for them..

I've turned in 8 sales leads in the last 4 months. None of them are in SLIM..and when I ask about them I get the "I'll look into it".
I guess when a preloader gets sales leads it doesn't look so good...

browndevil

I've turned in 8 sales leads in the last 4 months. None of them are in SLIM..and when I ask about them I get the "I'll look into it".
Belle it is like that all over. Keep turning in your sales leads we need them. Just remember we have an open door policy at UPS if you don't get an answer keep going up the chain of command until you do.:happy2:

over9five

Staff member

Hmmm, that's very suspicious. Who did you turn them in to? I wonder if someone else is getting credit for your leads.

Browndevil is right. You have to go to the next level. Someone has dropped the ball big-time on this one!

tieguy

Banned
Hey atlanta i hope you are reading this poll as of right now 46 people say that you dont care about the cutomers while 6 say you do as of right now.

It is the cutomer that pays our wages and yes even your salaries.

I sholud have also had as an answer the stockholders or cutomers.

you guys don't get it. the numbers measure or affect the service we provide.