UPS CFO announces layoffs in 09

gandydancer

I was talking to an OMS and the local sort supe, they said PT management will lose their 27.5 guarantee so they can be laid off a day at a time and a FT supe will just cover them.

The pt supes are just working stiffs that ought to have a union. With newbie hourly pt still paying 1980s wages it's a natural route to picking up a little more money until you can go pc or other ft. Dunno that the hourlys will be so tolerant of the black jackets picking off and hoisting irregs, particularly if there are any layoffs on that side (though there won't be, from seniority pt, given the losses to turnover).

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Over 380 drivers in my hub, newest rumor is an additional 70 are getting laid off. Since I got forced inside I've seen more and more guys from package.

And they were giving seasonal hires the tour last week....

chev

Nightcrawler
Wait if your Oil cronies stay in washington what happens to the rest of Oil dependent companies...You'll see......All the bonuses will be mailed USPS straight to Alaska...Priority mail.....

Go BARRACK!
I wasn't aware this was a political thread.
paidslave....cut and paste cut and paste

UPS Lifer

paidslave....cut and paste cut and paste

Hey Chev,
Don't get on slave to much... He needs to work hard and put in extra hours to help pay for my social security and health plan that BO is giving me for free!!!

After all slave will stay true to his avatar and will probably never make it to retirement so spread the wealth and pay for mine!

Oh! sorry back to the thread.... I just get so excited with all the freebies I am going to get for doing nothing!!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Oh! sorry back to the thread.... I just get so excited with all the freebies I am going to get for doing nothing!!!!

The Kennedy's don't pay much income tax reagrdless who is in charge.

This sounds like my relative who lives in a $600k house in the mountains.
Has accounts in Caymens and an "arrangement" for a house in Costa Rica and gets all the credits on his income tax 1040.
Smart people with money will not be impacted by Obama's plans.
Good lawyers and global banking can "move" most wealth to where the government can't see or touch.
Normal wage earners will be paying for it all.

paidslave

paidslave....

You are right Chevl.....

Layoffs have nothing to do with politics?.....For those that understand why there are layoffs please disregard my post because Chev will let you know why you got canned....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are right Chevl.....

Layoffs have nothing to do with politics?.....For those that understand why there are layoffs please disregard my post because Chev will let you know why you got canned....

Same mistake I make.
I get "v" mixed up with "ryl".
Happens all the time.

paidslave

Hey Chev,
Don't get on slave to much... He needs to work hard and put in extra hours to help pay for my social security and health plan that BO is giving me for free!!!

After all slave will stay true to his avatar and will probably never make it to retirement so spread the wealth and pay for mine!

If you paid into your insurance than by golly collect it! It doesn't sound like you are paying into it because you are calling them freebees...

Back to the thread,,,leave the little piggy alone!

We just had several combos that had gone driving get sent back because there was not enough volume for them. They all went to a new center that was supposed to be "expanding like crazy" too. :dissapointed:

mainebrown

why do drivers care if they get laid off or not?...if they do...they'll work double shifts inside....not like they will loose their jobs completely...i feel sorry for the part timers...

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
why do drivers care if they get laid off or not?...if they do...they'll work double shifts inside....not like they will loose their jobs completely...i feel sorry for the part timers...

Because those of us who aren't through progression are being paid $8.50 an hour. Union says suck it up, UPS says if you don't like it, there's the door.

mainebrown

your right...i have a little over a year in fulltime....and i've gotten laid off this past feb-june.....sucks...but i still have a job...

Most part timers won`t get laid off. The turn over rate is so high all the company has to do is freeze hiring and the pt ranks will thin themselves.

Sorry but if I have to feel sorry for someone who's laid off I`ll choose the person with years of service regardless of position over the new guy that odds are has a 75% chance of leaving anyway.

david cassin

dublinbrown
i think this is scaremongering by the cfo or someone,like the world economy someone somewhere is making money out of the panic.
with dhl doing a major pullout in domestic pick ups etc that leaves alot of business for ups and fedex to get,so why would we be laying off people.
i was on that exdhl.com that was posted here and from what i read all their major a/cs are fleeing the sinking ship,i have seen some of that nordstrom pkgs coming here to ireland,now while we won't get all the business we ill get a major chunk of it.:happy-very:

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
i think this is scaremongering by the cfo or someone,like the world economy someone somewhere is making money out of the panic.
with dhl doing a major pullout in domestic pick ups etc that leaves alot of business for ups and fedex to get,so why would we be laying off people.
i was on that exdhl.com that was posted here and from what i read all their major a/cs are fleeing the sinking ship,i have seen some of that nordstrom pkgs coming here to ireland,now while we won't get all the business we ill get a major chunk of it.:happy-very:

I don't think so boyo. It would be very nice if we pick up the business, but it's still a numbers game these days and FedEx can afford to out price us right now. It'll go back to the way it was pre-strike.

over9five

Staff member
I'm actually looking forward to going back to Package in January.

I miss dealing with the customers, doin' housecalls, gettin' OT...

I'll bump back to my old route.

I'm actually looking forward to going back to Package in January.

I miss dealing with the customers, doin' housecalls, gettin' OT...

I'll bump back to my old route.
You a feeder cover driver? Here they are also cover for package and are at the bottom of the FT cover seniority list.