UPS Light

D

dannyboy

Guys

What we have here are a bunch of thoughts over what? From what I know and have heard, not anybody has a real answer as to what will happen to what package. And when we do, we will document and evaluate.

In mostly rural areas, yes there will be some changes. But you are getting more stops in, and leaving the loosers at the post office. And from what I understand it is only those that we get that are new to our system, not the ones we are allready getting.

So unless my info is incorrect, or the plan in implimented incorectly, I see it as a win win all the way around, even for the remote centers.

I just hope it will not be abused by not only local management, but the very drivers that complain a lot, and you know who you are
shoot.gif

d

S

speeddemon

How about cutting some of those bonuses at Xmas that managment gets. They cut ours didnt they?

S

speeddemon

Our local management is one that abuses policy, thats just how he is. He came up in the 70s and 80s when UPS was rough on there people. Hes a good guy though, hell of a golfer.

D

dammor

"In mostly rural areas, yes there will be some changes."

Danny,
If someone can give me a clear definition of what the company considers a rural area I will
be silent.

"And from what I understand it is only those that we get that are new to our system, not the ones we are allready getting."

Danny,
Once again, if someone can explain to me why we are taking a hit here without loosing old volume I will not only be silent, but will buy you dinner.

D

dannyboy

I hope to take you up on that
cheers.gif

I really dont have too many answers in concrete. THat is why I say watch, learn, document, then act. To do otherwise is foolish and very likely counter productive.

d

B

brown39

What a joke...how old is that picture, how much did it cost to doctor it up...when was the last time you saw a leather case or a mailperson with a hat on .....nice try, pretty funny ....

T

tieguy

"I really dont have too many answers in concrete. THat is why I say watch, learn, document, then act. To do otherwise is foolish and very likely counter productive. "

A very sensible position to take. Exciting times are ahead. Large shippers that used to ship with us are about to come home to pappa. Anyone live in the Roanoke VA area? I'm wondering if they have seen anything happening at Home Shopping Club?

D

dannyboy

Dammor

Email me that pic. That is just too cool.

Guys, I will just about bet the farm that this Christmas we will not have near enough drivers, not near the cars, or just about anything else we need to get the job done.

And if what I think hits starting in two weeks, there will be enough work for all. The economy is booming, people are spending money, and we will handle the lions share of christmas for the public. And we will once again show the business customer and the general public that we can and do deliver the world to their doorstep. Even being short handed or under equiped will not keep us from completing Christmas. Weve done so for close to 100 years and have allways risen to the occasion, regardless of the problems we encounter.

But as I posted earlier, we should watch, listen, and document to see how all this works. I think it can and will be a large job builder if it is correctly implimented. Only time will tell.

d

S

speeddemon

Our volume started hitting this week. Alot of online stuff. We ran 25 routes last year. We have 21 drivers now. So tell me, why did my center manager get turned down three times to hire new drivers? And yes, thats including cover drivers too. OH! I remember, they dont want me to see my family until January 2004.

D

dannyboy

Same thing here, running routes that we run in march. No splits or routes cut in.

But no 9.5's!
wall.gif

d

(Message edited by dannyboy on November 15, 2003)

S

steward

Our drivers are fallen like flies, just like every year before rush, always right about time change.
Imagine that.
Oh yes--- no over 9/5
Did i mention im on EDD also, so we can do 20 more stops.

D

dannyboy

Just got back from a district meeting today. Funny, one of the staff asked me point blank if I had heard anything about a strike on the first of december.

I do know that some of the information gathered so far has been forwarded to hall and has been presented to an arbitrator.

d

P

parttimejon

hall sounds busy. guess he wont be giving me an answer on my cover driving pay scale this week.

S

speeddemon

No 9.5's, I hear ya. I dont make up for over dispatching, not my problem. If I have 8 hours work, thats what I do it in, If I have 10 hours, thats what it takes.

LKLND3380

Looks like whoever complained about badhab's post was a nervous nelly, it's obviously already been announced.

USPS, UPS Plan Rural Offering

United Parcel Service will offer a customized service that combines its ground delivery service with the U.S. Postal Service's Parcel Select, possibly resulting in lower rates for mailers using UPS.
UPS will use Parcel Select for deliveries up to five pounds, primarily to rural or super-rural areas. Customers will give their packages to UPS, which will move them through its ground network. UPS will separate out the packages that are to be delivered to the rural areas and turn them over to the local post office for final delivery.

UPS currently charges a $1.75 surcharge for rural deliveries. It is unknown how much UPS will pay the postal service for each package.

"We're going after volumes UPS currently does not have," UPS spokeswoman Susan Rosenberg. "We're working with customers that are not currently UPS customers."

Rosenberg said customers have signed on, but are not yet using the service. She would not name the customers or say when the service would begin.

"UPS has lost a lot of residential lightweight package volume to consolidators," said Doug Caldwell, a vice president at AFSM Transportation Management Group, a transportation management consultancy in Portland, OR. "This is partly because consolidators can come in and offer a lower rate, particularly on lightweight, residential packages, than UPS."

Parcel Select consolidators are concerned about the partnership, Caldwell said. They have been able to get business for deliveries to rural areas from mailers who might be UPS customers, but use the consolidators for shipments to rural locations to avoid the UPS surcharge.

Caldwell also said that because UPS now will share delivery of packages that have gone exclusively through Parcel Select, the postal service could "lose some fairly significant volumes, at least in the short run."

In the long run, however, the relationship with UPS may benefit the postal service.

"This is pretty historic," Caldwell said.

Insiders said that FedEx might announce a similar partnership soon.

this sounds like what we are already doing in a way... Remember all those Harry Potter books we delivered to the local post offices for amazon?

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Not Funny Danny,

Anyone that would even suggest a strike issue at this point in time needs a swift kick in the butt. We are just now getting well from the last scare. As teamsters we needen't roll over and play dead, but we need to realize we are not the only game in town anymore. Making UPS successful is our best bet for keeping the job and benefits we are enjoying now. Look at the stock and count your blessings. I know I do.
Amen Brother!!