UPS new hire training class

JonFrum

It's up to you but your chances of getting a full time drivers job without first working part-time either in the moring or night are slim to none. For every 6 part-time employees that UPS hires as full time driver they hire one from the outside.

I'm not say that you don't have a chance to become a full time driver just that your chances are slim.
True.

And there is always a supervisor or two who wants to go full-time package car driving as well. Supervisors are considered "outsiders" in the "six inside to one outside" hireing formula because they are "outside" the Union Contract.

Also, there may be drivers on layoff that need to be called back first, before any off the street hireing is done.

City Driver

all we did for space and visibilty was watch videos, then take a multiple choice "test" that was all common sense, and i think they make new drivers go drive with a senior driver for a couple days or somethin

brownrodster

. So to the guys that are full time drivers, should I try the seasonal route and hope for a chance to be hired one day or stick with my ok paying job? I have a 9month old to take care of and just want to do whats best for the future.

Stick with your job. The chances of coming in off the street into a permanent driver job are miniscule at best.

Drivers will be laid off in jan/feb. They won't need more.

After your driver training class you will be on call. You might not even work until nov/dec.

My center has drivers laid off right now!

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
we have drivers on layoff and ups is already hiring seasonal drivers.

you actually think they lay people off because of volume :rofl:
Spoiler:
they actually lay people off because Hoffa and the international union don't care and don't do anything about it

staticx

Well I decided not to go to the class. I just can't see working for a few months and not know if I will have a job after. Thanks for all the replies.