UPS Salespeople!!! Fedex Packages Available!!

Re-Raise

..All I can really do is wait for service failures and go from there.

Wait a minute, you are the clown who says anyone can drive a truck and deliver packages. You use your brain and not your back right?

I knew you were in sales when you said that. No one who is in operations would ever disparage what the drivers for UPS accomplish.

Now you are saying that the only way you can get new business is by comparing our service to the competition. Instead of trying to insult the drivers you should be thanking us.

And as far as intelligence I am too educated to go into sales.

bbsam

Staff member
Right. And you would probably be the only Ground contractor in the nation that could pull it off. LOL. UPS will take the business if Ground gets additional services and the sole reason will be poor performance.
Will they take all the business? Really? Very slowly, very carefully, let me spell this out for you. They are going to take your money and give it to me. They are going to tell me what the commit times are and I and my drivers are going to make those times. It is not simply a matter of diverting freight. It is a matter of diverting resources (money). Lot's of resources (money). It is the kind of thing that tends to get a contractor's mind thinking like a contractor. Will we lose some business? Probably. Change is always rough. All of it? Not even close. Your predictions are woefully blurred by your hatred for Fedex. Mine are brought into sharper focus by profit motive. Year after year you predict the downfall of Ground using "The other day I saw an ex-con Ground driver blah, blah, blah...." And every year we absolutely kick serious ass, even in a recession. I understand that you and others don't like what Fedex is becoming, but don't think for a moment that your disdain will hamper my continued success one bit. We are the future of the company.

FedExer267

Bbsam can you please explain to me how we are ever going to meet commit times with the sizes of are routes currently. Most of us bust our humps everyday with no breaks just to get done at a reasonible time to make the wound of what we get paid not hurt so much. If this is the direction can we expect a hourly wage, OT, Benefits, Paid holidays and vaction. Or will the greed of the contractor set in and want us to do 200 stops a day for what he pays. Rest assure my friend if that does happen you will have trouble filling those sits with qualified drivers because we are already burned out on false promises and extremely tired from years of work with no paid breaks. Will you be adding routes or hiring people just to handle time sensitive material I would just like to know what we have to look forward too..

bbsam

Staff member
Bbsam can you please explain to me how we are ever going to meet commit times with the sizes of are routes currently. Most of us bust our humps everyday with no breaks just to get done at a reasonible time to make the wound of what we get paid not hurt so much. If this is the direction can we expect a hourly wage, OT, Benefits, Paid holidays and vaction. Or will the greed of the contractor set in and want us to do 200 stops a day for what he pays. Rest assure my friend if that does happen you will have trouble filling those sits with qualified drivers because we are already burned out on false promises and extremely tired from years of work with no paid breaks. Will you be adding routes or hiring people just to handle time sensitive material I would just like to know what we have to look forward too..
Absolutely I would be adding routes. That's what increased revenue is all about. It is not all profit. Increased packages increases route density. I don't know what the commit times are, but I think if they are am commit, my drivers can probably hit somewhere around the 40% mark in trace. So yes, to make the other 60% of the commit times routes would have to be altered and additional man-power utilized. I don't have a problem with spending more to make more.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Will they take all the business? Really? Very slowly, very carefully, let me spell this out for you. They are going to take your money and give it to me. They are going to tell me what the commit times are and I and my drivers are going to make those times. It is not simply a matter of diverting freight. It is a matter of diverting resources (money). Lot's of resources (money). It is the kind of thing that tends to get a contractor's mind thinking like a contractor. Will we lose some business? Probably. Change is always rough. All of it? Not even close. Your predictions are woefully blurred by your hatred for Fedex. Mine are brought into sharper focus by profit motive. Year after year you predict the downfall of Ground using "The other day I saw an ex-con Ground driver blah, blah, blah...." And every year we absolutely kick serious ass, even in a recession. I understand that you and others don't like what Fedex is becoming, but don't think for a moment that your disdain will hamper my continued success one bit. We are the future of the company.

Dream on. As I've said many times before, the average Joe at Ground isn't Express or UPS material. I'm sure all of your people are I-9 E-Verify compliant and totally capable professionals. NOT.

Your vision is blurred by both your enthusiasm and the $$$$ signs you see. Again, you are not going to achieve Express customer service levels with your current crop of Ground people. Even if you kick the pay up a couple bucks an hour there still aren't any benefits, so your talent pool is going to be weak.

Maybe the Lime Kool-Aid tastes good too, but you need to put the glass down and have a Coke or Pepsi instead. Maybe it will clear your head. UPS will kick Ground all over the map on service and overall customer satisfaction. Since your head is apparently made of concrete, you'll have to learn that lesson the hard way.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We just went through the I-9 at UPS...I hope everything you are saying is true. I can't just start telling rumors to customers. UPS makes it a point not to trash to competition...All I can really do is wait for service failures and go from there. It will be interesting to see what really happens. Keep us updated please.

If this Ground scenario happens, UPS will have to hire a bunch of new drivers just to handle the additional business. Ground sucks, but you already know that. Giving them additional responsibility will cause it to be even worse.

hudson

Wait a minute, you are the clown who says anyone can drive a truck and deliver packages. You use your brain and not your back right?

I knew you were in sales when you said that. No one who is in operations would ever disparage what the drivers for UPS accomplish.

Now you are saying that the only way you can get new business is by comparing our service to the competition. Instead of trying to insult the drivers you should be thanking us.

And as far as intelligence I am too educated to go into sales.

Wait minute, your the clown who said you can do brain surgery right?

I am saying that if and when all this happens UPS will hopefully see an increase in volume due to FedEx no longer being able to provide the same level of service their customers are used to receiving. I am not comparing anything...just waiting for FedEx to drop the ball once or twice and the die hard FedEx shippers will come calling.

Thank you for the wonderful job you do. Is that better?

As far as intelligence I am too educated to be a driver.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

I am saying that if and when all this happens UPS will hopefully see an increase in volume due to FedEx no longer being able to provide the same level of service their customers are used to receiving. I am not comparing anything...just waiting for FedEx to drop the ball once or twice and the die hard FedEx shippers will come calling.

Education is no guarantee of intelligence. You are exhibit A.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sounds like someone has their stuff together and should have no problem adapting to the new FedEx.

He thinks he has it together. If his dream scenario happens, then he'll get a big dose of reality. The flip side of this is that he might get nothing if the courts don't see it the FedEx way. We go union at Express and everything stays the same at Ground, unless Fred is forced to make them all employees, which is what they really are anyway. Don't count your chickens until they're hatched bbsam.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, there are some good people on both the Express and Ground side at FedEx. I will grant you that the service level could be taken up a notch at Ground but, as you have said, you do get what you pay for. I do see Express work being transferred to Ground and, after some growing pains, the adjustment will be seamless. The technology is in place for this transfer. It makes sense for this transfer to take place. At this point I am unsure as to what will happen at Express, whether it will remain the same, whether there will be a part time work force only, or perhaps a combination of the two.

This should be an interesting 12-18 months.

Re-Raise

That was Ups Grunt that made the brain surgery comparison. His point was a valid one. You said anyone could drive a truck and deliver packages. He said the same could be said about brain surgery but they wouldn't do it well.

I hope your big old brain does a better job of keeping OUR potential customers straight.

Were you hired off the street or do you actually have any knowledge of what our part-timers or drivers actually do?

My degree is in Business Administration. About half of the drivers in my center are college grads. What did you study that makes you so arrogant?

bbsam

Staff member
He thinks he has it together. If his dream scenario happens, then he'll get a big dose of reality. The flip side of this is that he might get nothing if the courts don't see it the FedEx way. We go union at Express and everything stays the same at Ground, unless Fred is forced to make them all employees, which is what they really are anyway. Don't count your chickens until they're hatched bbsam.
But if everything stays the same, I'm still ok with that.

bbsam

Staff member
If this Ground scenario happens, UPS will have to hire a bunch of new drivers just to handle the additional business. Ground sucks, but you already know that. Giving them additional responsibility will cause it to be even worse.
As I know very little about Express and prove it often, so too do you prove you know little about Ground.

klein

Für Meno :)
I don't even see the point in this thread to be honest.
UPS has combined express ever since they were in existence, I believe.
1 truck delivers both.

How fedex did it with 2, doing the same routes, still amazes me. But, again, fedex hardly works more then 8hrs per day.
My former roomate worked for fedex express. Most of the time , she wouldn't even get her full 8hrs in. Was usually 7 or 7.5 hrs per day.

And, honestly, I still see an advantage for fedex, because those fedex trucks are out there delivering, before UPS employees even start (in most cases).

If was Fred, I sure would combine express and ground, like UPS does.
Never made sense to me, having 2 trucks doing the same routes !

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't even see the point in this thread to be honest.
UPS has combined express ever since they were in existence, I believe.
1 truck delivers both.

How fedex did it with 2, doing the same routes, still amazes me. But, again, fedex hardly works more then 8hrs per day.
My former roomate worked for fedex express. Most of the time , she wouldn't even get her full 8hrs in. Was usually 7 or 7.5 hrs per day.

And, honestly, I still see an advantage for fedex, because those fedex trucks are out there delivering, before UPS employees even start (in most cases).

If was Fred, I sure would combine express and ground, like UPS does.
Never made sense to me, having 2 trucks doing the same routes !

He can't combine them because FedEx Express is an "airline" that has real employees and Ground is contractors who use non-employees to deliver our non-pkgs. What he is trying to do is outsource work to a lower-cost option that already exists (Ground). Giving the Priority Overnight product to Ground wouldn't work-out very well, for a long variety of reasons that I won't bore you with here. One big problem is that the 2 entities are supposed to be separate, because Express is an "air network" and Ground is a "ground network". Trouble is, Fred has already been breaking the rules by having Express line-haul Ground and vice-versa.

Before Fred can pull this rabbit out of the hat, he has some legal and logistical challenges to get out of the way. Plus, he has a bunch of Express employees who aren't going to be very happy if he pulls the rug out from under them. Look for more lawsuits challenging the Ground model and a lot of internal sabotage by people who are going to very creatively disrupt "commerce".

It still might be a ploy to scare Express employees away from the Teamsters, but I'm increasingly thinking that this has been a planned move for quite some time. If it does ever happen, it will be a tremendous opportunity for UPS to take back most of the market share they've lost to FedEx Ground. Sorry bbsam, but Ground has a long way to go to get close to Express competency and a much longer way to catch UPS. If Fred does this, it will blow-up in his face and FedEx will be scrambling to recover any shred of respectability and reputation they can win-back.

Yes, UPS screws-up too, but not very often. And Ground is famous for doing the wrong thing, over and over again. Customers like consistently good service from bright and professional drivers. UPS does that. FedEx Ground does not. End of story.

huskres

Dream on. As I've said many times before, the average Joe at Ground isn't Express or UPS material. I'm sure all of your people are I-9 E-Verify compliant and totally capable professionals. NOT.

Your vision is blurred by both your enthusiasm and the $$$$ signs you see. Again, you are not going to achieve Express customer service levels with your current crop of Ground people. Even if you kick the pay up a couple bucks an hour there still aren't any benefits, so your talent pool is going to be weak.

Maybe the Lime Kool-Aid tastes good too, but you need to put the glass down and have a Coke or Pepsi instead. Maybe it will clear your head. UPS will kick Ground all over the map on service and overall customer satisfaction. Since your head is apparently made of concrete, you'll have to learn that lesson the hard way.

Ground contractor here, I have been begged for years by the Express Management and even the Terminal Managers to go work for them but I chose not to. They all said I ran circles around the Express drivers and I have been safe while doing it. Not every contractor out there is as bad as you say.