UPS says Yes to Saturday Ground.

ManInBrown

So for those of us who don't have enough seniority to NOT have to work Saturdays, it looks like the only way out will be if there are enough senior drivers who want to work Saturdays. I can't imagine that being the case, but you never know. In my center a lot of the senior drivers are sick of the cutting routes BS on Mondays. Like we all are. Maybe there will be enough who want Monday off

The senior drivers IMO tend to take the Monday cutting a little more personal than less senior drivers

Ghost in the Darkness

Well you can quit, maybe thats what they want is to further cripple the union and make it even more useless. Would be kinda funny if people did quit...all at once, what they gonna do then.

JL 0513

Well you can quit, maybe thats what they want is to further cripple the union and make it even more useless. Would be kinda funny if people did quit...all at once, what they gonna do then.

With the amount they pay us, they know they have us by the balls. That's the downside. It's why we are treated the way we are overall. If the pay was just boarder line good enough, they'd be forced to treat us far better. Otherwise face a revolving door workforce where production would suffer.

Ghost in the Darkness

Really, you probably couldn't fathom that many of us don't put money first. Those who have young kids certainly don't want to lose a whole day with them every week. My kids trump this job and its not even close. I know I can be successfull at any job I choose because I work hard and am motivated. A lot of our pensions are in tank anyway so its certainly makes the decision easier in that regard. UPS to me is just a job, its not my life.

JL 0513

So for those of us who don't have enough seniority to NOT have to work Saturdays, it looks like the only way out will be if there are enough senior drivers who want to work Saturdays. I can't imagine that being the case, but you never know. In my center a lot of the senior drivers are sick of the cutting routes BS on Mondays. Like we all are. Maybe there will be enough who want Monday off

The senior drivers IMO tend to take the Monday cutting a little more personal than less senior drivers

If I was a top half senior driver with no kids or adult kids, I'd probably opt for Saturdays as it will be a gravy train day to work vs Mondays. Remember, Saturdays = no business and no p/u's. No commits other than noon air commits. Just easy resi stops all day.

The major problem is we young drivers who will be forced who have young families and most family functions and activities are on Saturday. Much less often are these functions on Sundays, at least in my family. Cookouts, birthday's, weddings, etc usually always Saturdays. This is a family killer.

JL 0513

I have 16.5 years in and about middle of the pack in seniority, but I still would seriously consider getting out if I knew T-S was where I would be for years to come.

Quitting all depends on your life situation. I could never quit because I have young kids. Can you afford to live on half of what you make now? That's the job market right now unless you have a really good, in demand fresh degree. You obviously don't if you're a 16 year driver.

Ghost in the Darkness

That must be why so many get out of college and end up at McD's or at a job in a field they didn't even study in making nothing close to what they need to pay off the school loans and get on their feet in life.

iruhnman630

Those golden handcuffs are being tightened.

To quit because of saturdays would be foolish, considering that such a move would likely put any of us in a situation which demands working saturdays anyway.

Ghost in the Darkness

Not foolish if you have your ducks in a row, I never said just quit and then figure it out. At the end of my life do you think I would regret choosing my kids over UPS, nope.

Grey

If I was a top half senior driver with no kids or adult kids, I'd probably opt for Saturdays as it will be a gravy train day to work vs Mondays. Remember, Saturdays = no business and no p/u's. No commits other than noon air commits. Just easy resi stops all day.

The major problem is we young drivers who will be forced who have young families and most family functions and activities are on Saturday. Much less often are these functions on Sundays, at least in my family. Cookouts, birthday's, weddings, etc usually always Saturdays. This is a family killer.

Good point on the no biz/pu's but you'd probably get 160+ stops spread across 2-3 routes.

JL 0513

Good point on the no biz/pu's but you'd probably get 160+ stops spread across 2-3 routes.

True. I run a lot of split routes so I'm used to that. I actually prefer them as long as the load is planned well. It sucks however when you get a last minute build with late add cuts and the pals have illegible hand written numbers on them loaded in no sequence.

IMO these routes beat bulky business runs with lots of p/u's.

UPS1982

What I got from the article on UPSERS is UPS started a trial in one location in September, and has future plans for two other locations one which is Philadelphia. The locations were listed in the article. It also says UPS would expand it to other certain locations if it made sense. By the way the article started off with ordering something on Thursday and waiting until Monday for two day shipping, this looks like it's being driven by Amazon and probably other larger retailers. It looks like certain locations will have it and others will not. I don't see a nationwide Saturday delivery, unless there was a different press release from UPS, I'm sure this will be contained to metro areas where we can deliver larger volume for retailers like Amazon and so on efficiently. I see a lot of you getting worked up about it, but it will probably take a long time for it to reach your location. If you deliver in Knowwhereville USA, you will probably never see it for even a longer time if ever. Again, this is based on the article I read on UPSERS. If there is other information out there I apologize for wasting your time, but if this is the only release from UPS, chill out because this might not happen for a very long time when most of you are farther up the seniority ladder or retired.