UPS subsidizing non ups pensions

J

JonFrum

Just got a letter in the mail telling me my LTD insurance is now covered by Metlife. I guess CS decided to sub contract this out . . . :

wkmac,
Central States is guilty of many things but they have never had anything to do with the UPS National LTD Plan. The coverage is paid for by UPS (with the money we made for them) as negotiated in Article 34 of the UPS National Master Contract. Met Life has always been the insurer. Dig out the Summary Plan Description they sent you about a year ago.

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-teamsters-national-master-agreement.335360/

"Article 34. Health & Welfare and Pension
(j) Long-Term Disability

(1) Full-time seniority employees will become eligible for long-term disability (LTD) after six (6) months of employment for non-occupational illnesses or injuries that last longer then twenty-six (26) weeks.

(2) Long-term disability benefits will equal sixty percent (60%) of the employee?s base weekly pay to a maximum of five hundred dollars ($500) per week for up to five (5) years. Long-term disability benefits begin when short-term disability coverage ends or after twenty-six (26) weeks from date of disability, whichever is later.

(3) Average weekly base pay is computed by averaging paid hours (maximum of forty (40) hours per week) each week during the last full calendar quarter the employee worked and multiplying that by the hourly rate of their base job. Weeks of unemployment in the prior quarter will not be counted in the calculation. If there were substantial weeks of unemployment, the prior full calendar quarter may be used for the calculation.

(4) The definition of disability, termination of eligibility, offsets, exclusions, limitations, claim procedures and any other related issues will be controlled by the Summary Plan Description.

(5) The long-term disability coverage will become effective on August 1, 2004 for eligible employees who become disabled after that date. However, pre-existing conditions will not affect the employee's eligibility for LTD. "

J

JonFrum

I've finally figured it all out, (more or less.)

I've been researching the pension plan problem by reading everything I can get my hands on, since I started this thread on Labor Day 2006. I've posted my ongoing findings here week after week. I've learned (or had my previous suspicions confirmed) that:
The pension funds are poorly designed to begin with. They are a particularly bad match for UPSers.
They were heavily invested in the market during the 2000-2002 bear market and lost a fortune.
UPS has a wide variety of policies and practices that make it very difficult for most UPSers to qualify under plan rules to actually collect pension benefits. Most UPS contributions are forfeited to the funds, in whole or in part.
Single-employer plans are (literally) 100 times more risky than multi-employer plans, because they are totally dependant on just one company. And the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (PBGC) is in deep trouble itself.
Adding new members or employer groups does not help a fund in any major way. New member money is earmarked for the future retirement of those new members, not existing members. Retirees are supported by their own contributions, and the forfeited contributions of their fellow workers at the company or companies they worked for, as well as any investment returns made thereon.
Dividing up the membership into numerous regional plans is very wastful and makes it next to impossible to get to the bottom of any situation, or get agreement on anything since everyone's situation is different and only effects a limited number of people.
Trustees receive advice from professional actuaries, lawyers, investment advisors, etc. As such they can usually claim that they acted "reasonably" no matter what the mess they created.
The Teamsters (IBT) has been operating under a federal court "Consent Decree" since 1989, and the Central States Pension Fund has been under a seperate decree since 1982. Strange as it may seem, everything happened under the watchful eye of the federal government. Go figure.
There is a alarming amount of misinformation circulating about all aspects of the pension situation.
The Union, the Companies, and the Pension Plans themselves, all keep us in the dark as much as US Law will allow them to. Pension Plan information is often two years old by the time it is released. Only in recent years has information been available on official websites, and this is mixed with spin designed to deflect blame away from them.
There is very little interest in following pension matters on the part of most participants, at least until they get a letter in the mail telling them their future pension has been slashed and it's not coming back any time soon.
Various regional pension reform committees aren't as much help as they could be. The New England Teamster's Pension Improvement Committee (NETPIC) went out of existence years ago. The Central States Pension Improvement Committee (CSPIC),
Central States Pension Improvement Committee
the Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Improvement Committee (WESTPIC),
WestPIC-The Western Teamsters Pension Improvement Committee
and the Central Pensylvania Teamster Reform Committee (CPTRC),
Central PA Teamsters Pension Reform Committee
have web sites and newsletters, but they have not been updated for months. Their feedback bulletin board forums have been discontinued. Nevertheless, the sites are still well worth visiting as the problems effecting these funds effect most other funds as well.
Not enough effort is made to raise the general level of knowledge about the workings of pension plans. That's why I've taken it upon myself to publish information in this thread, complete with lots of links to original sources representing all points of view.
Continued below . . .

J

JonFrum

. . . Continued
Many keep repeating the mantra that 60% of UPS contributions go to subsidize the retirement of non-UPSers. If true, this would be a huge story. And would trigger multiple charges and lawsuits, both criminal and civil. It also makes one wonder why UPS has been allowing this subsidy to drain their coffers every year since the 1950s. And why participants haven't filed charges with the Labor Department, the Attorney General, the FBI, the Internal review Board (IRB), their Joint Council, the General Executive Board (GEB), their respective state officials, or even their local police department. If UPS contributes, say, a billion dollars a year, on average, to the various pension funds, then they have contributed about $10 billion dollars in just the last ten years, (a very, very rough estimate.) If 60% is misdirected to non-UPSers, that's $6 billion. But no one is willing to explain how this is being done. No details, no proof, just endless repetition of the mantra. If $6 billion (just in the last ten years) were being stolen / skimmed / redirected / misappropriated / swindled / kited / embezeled / mismanaged / squandered / defrauded / misspent / kicked back / extorted / quid-pro-quo'd or whatever, don't you think UPS or someone would do more than just gripe?

UPS has been a member of these funds from their creation in the 1950s. The funds are jointly governed by a Board of Trustees composed of equal numbers of Union and Employer representatives. UPS ratifies the plans themselves and the selection of all Employer Trustees, and all decisions and actions they take, past and future. UPS has access to a variety of public information about the plans and their status (as do we all), in addition to information they are entitled to as a contributing employer. As the largest employer, I imagine they could get anything they want. They have tremendous clout. Do you really think UPS just lets all that money slip through their hands?

But what I've finally figured out is that when a plan is 100% funded, it's still not truely financially sound! Funds need to be "overfunded" maybe to the point of 130 or 140%. I, like everyone, originally assumed that 100% was the gold standard. Such a fund was "fully funded" and therefore had enough money on hand today to pay all it's future obligations. The fund's current assets were sufficient to pay for all vested benefits that had been earned to date. This naieve view is based on the idea that 100% represents the sum total of everything under consideration. If you take an apple pie and slice it in halves or thirds or quarters, you are taking the original pie (100%) and dividing it into 50%, or 33.3% or 25% portions. But 100% is the total pie. You can't have more than 100%, no matter how you slice it. Likewise, the most you can get on a test in school is 100%. There is nothing above and beyond getting every question right. 100% is the highest score.

But finances are different. Especially long-term finances, the kind you need an actuary to keep track of. You can always use more money. You can always use more insurance. So when a pension plan is 100% funded, which very few are, they are only "out of the woods" if everything continues to go perfectly. In fact, pension plan funding percentages are based on a variety of actuarial assumptions. Each assumption may be wrong, or maybe several assumptions may be wrong. Every year the plans re-evaluate their assumptions and see if they are still appropriate and if last year's educated guesses proved to be correct or just plain wrong. Plans make assumptions about how many participants will get vested, or retire, or die, or become disabled, or laid off, etc. They assume the fund's invested assets will make a certain return, (say, 8%), and that a certain number of companies will go out of business, and that other companies will join the fund, and so forth. Imagine that you expected to earn 8% but instead lost 8%! That means you're suddenly 16% short of your expectation. Now imagine you lost money several years in a row. Your fund is now in crisis. This is why I believe a fund must be "overfunded" by as much as possible. You just never know what calamities will strike. Financial losses in the stock market are particularly devastating because they represent a double hit. First you loose the 8%, or so, you counted on earning, then you loose the 8% you actually lost. After several years of losses, the fund is so depleated that even healthy investment returns won't soon make up for the string of losses because the current sum invested is now so much smaller. Lots of funds that were overfunded in the late 1990s are seriously underfunded today. They were counting on continued healthy investment returns, and they got investment losses. The 100% funding level should not be thought of as a maximum, it's really just an average. It's not the highest point on the funding scale, it's just a point on a scale that goes up as high as you would like. It's like deciding how much insurance to buy. No matter how much you buy, you could always buy more. It's a judgement call.

Oddly enough, some people wrongly view 100% funding as actually too high a funding level. They say 90% or 80% is fine. The rest of the money gap will be made up in high investment returns (they assume). Besides, an underfunded pension plan means any employer seeking to withdraw must pay a Withdrawal Liability penalty. This often discourages a disgruntled employer from following through on his plans to withdraw. Such people believe trapping employers in the funds strengthens the funds.

I began to realize how even a 100% funded plan is not as sound as everyone claims when I noticed the Western Conference plan made major cuts even though they were 93% funded (according to Moody's) and 100% funded according to others. (There are various ways to calculate the funding ratio, and that is yet another uncertainty to consider, and yet another reason to opt for the highest funding ratio attainable.) Then I noticed the Machinist's union pension fund, which some of our mechanics are in, was 124% funded, and even they made cuts. This made me realize that funds that appear to be well funded, or even substancially "overfunded," may still have funding problems. Usually, these funds have funding deficiencies in the out-years that actuarial analysis has uncovered. They may appear fine currently, but will experience funding problems in the future, perhaps as a result of an unusually large number of participants expected to retire, for example.

So when you see that Moody's rates various funds as being funded at 57%, 58%, 59% etc., they are comparing that to a 100% standard. But you should consider even the 100% level as only mediocre, like getting a B-minus in school. These funds may appear to have less than 60 cents on the dollar available to meet promised future benefit obligations, but that's the (relatively) good news! In fact, the funds are vunerable to a variety of factors that may change for the worse. We all need to stop being optimistic when it comes to making actuarial assumptions about the pension plans we're in. This optimistic attitude has resulted in a huge National Debt, huge problems in Social Security, huge problems in State pension plans, and huge problems in private pension plans, both single-employer and multi-employer.

J

JonFrum

A clarification: Moody's calculates an Underfunding Multiple for each major fund it analyzes. The Underfunding Multiple is the number of additional yearly employer contributions that would be necessary to achieve (so called) full funding of 100%. Thus the Local 804 fund, which recently announced benefit cuts, with an Underfunding Multiple of 5.0x means that employers needed to contribute five times the amount they actually contributed in a particular year. If UPS contributed say, $10,000 per participant during a particular year, then UPS would have to contribute an additional $50,000 over and above the $10,000 for each participant in that one year, in order to bring the fund up to 100% Funded Status. (Of course, they could always spread out the extra contributions over several years, but that would delay the arrival of Full Funding day.) It's as if UPS is five years behind in its payments, except that UPS isn't behind at all. The fund needs the extra contributions, but it isn't entitled to them.

By the way, Moody's assumes that the responsibility to cure all pension fund shortfalls will be split 50/50, with the employers paying higher contribution amounts, and the participants accepting benefits cuts. Thus an Underfunding Multiple of 5.0x represents only the employer's half of the funding shortfall, the participant's cuts in benefits have already been announced and are the other half of the equation.

Teamsters funds listed in Moody's analysis (using 2004 data):
Plan. . . . . . . . . Funded . . . . . .Underfunding
Name . . . . . . . .Status . . . . . . . Multiple

Alaska . . . . . . . 84%. . . . . . . . 3.0x
Central Pa. . . . . 69%. . . . . . . . 2.2x
Central States . .58%. . . . . . . . 5.7x
IAM . . . . . . . . .124% . . . . . . . - - -
Local 710 . . . . . 73% . . . . . . . .3.9x
Local 705 . . . . . 74% . . . . . . . 3.1x
Local 804 . . . . . 59% . . . . . . . 5.0x
New England . . . 57% . . . . . . . 5.2x
NY State . . . . . .68% . . . . . . . 5.3x
J C 83 of Va . . . .72% . . . . . . . 3.7x
Local 639 . . . . .110% . . . . . . . - - -
Pa & Vicinity . . . 66% . . . . . . . .4.2x
N. Jersey . . . . . .83% . . . . . . . .3.7x
West. Conf. . . . .93% . . . . . . . .1.0x
W. Pa. . . . . . . . 64% . . . . . . . .6.7x

The average transportation industry pension plan is only 77% funded, with an Underfunding Multiple of 3.1x, meaning they have only $77 in assets to pay for every $100 of future benefits, and getting to 100% funding would require every employer to contribute an additional 3.1 times their annual one year contribution, over and above their scheduled contribution for that year.

Alaska Teamster-employer Pension Plan
Central Pennsylvania Teamsters Defined Benefit Plan
Central States SE&SW Area Pension Plan
IAM [Int'l. Assoc. of Machinists] National Pension Plan
IB of T Union Local 710 Pension Fund
Local 705 IB of T Pension Trust Fund
Local 804 I.B.T. and Local 447 IAM UPS Multi-employer Retirement Plan
New England Teamsters&Trucking Industry Pension Fund
NYS Teamsters Conference Pension & Retirement Fund
Teamsters Joint Council No. 83 of Virginia Pension Fund
Teamsters Local 639 Employers Pension Trust
Teamsters Pension Trust Fund of Philadelphia and Vicinity
Tucking Employees of North Jersey Welfare fund inc. - Pension Fund
Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Fund
Western Pennsylvania Teamsters and Employers Pension Plan

And a very, Merry Christmas to all.

nospinzone

JonFrum,
Great info. Could you do a post which summarizes your sources and which sources have the most accurate, up-to-date info? Thanks.

Last edited:

brett636

I know some APWA supporter is going to chime in and say the IBT is run by the devil for asking this, but does anyone know the real reason these pension funds become so underfunded? I know defuct employers play a part in it, but for some of these funds to be so poorly funded and allowed to be that way is a crime in and of itself. Someone who works with these funds daily has to see this happening and its pathetic that they just sit there and let this occur.

J

JonFrum

JonFrum,
Great info. Could you do a post which summarizes your sources and which sources have the most accurate, up-to-date info? Thanks.

Nospinzone,
Accurate, up-to-date info is hard to come by, especially regarding pensions. The annual Form 5500 that every fund must file is available on FreeErisa but the info is one to two years old. The 2005 reports should be online soon. [5500 reports are also available on Health & Welfare plans, Annuity plans, Legal Services plans, 401(k) plans, Credit Unions, Vacation, Scholarship, Long Term Disability etc.]
Welcome to freeErisa.com!
Teamsters for a Democratic Union (TDU) Teamsters for a Democratic Union is a great source of info, especially their UPS page and Pension page, but do not read this particular article . . .
WCT Pension Fund: Is "Full Funding" the Answer?
as it advocates deliberately running a pension plan in an underfunded state, which just makes the fund all the more vunerable to life's inevitable adversities like the 2000-2002 market downturn.
Moody's rates the major Teamsters pension plans on pages 14-15 of this report (using 2004 data) . . .
http://www.ifebp.org/pdf/moodysmethodology.pdf
The almost bankrupt Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (PBGC) has lots of info on pension funds . . .
Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC)
Three pension reform efforts are online . . .
The Central States Pension Improvement Committee (CSPIC)
Central States Pension Improvement Committee
The Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Improvement Committee (WESTPIC)
WestPIC-The Western Teamsters Pension Improvement Committee
and the Central Pensylvania Teamster Reform Committee (CPTRC)
Central PA Teamsters Pension Reform Committee
The various pension fund websites themselves are good sources of info, if you read between the lines. Remember, they (the Trustees and Plan Administrators) are presenting facts, then spinning them to deflect blame away from themselves.
New England Teamsters & Trucking Industry Pension Fund
The Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust
NYS Teamsters Benefit Funds
Central States Funds | Home
Teamsters Health & Welfare and Pension Trust Funds
Central Pa Teamsters
Western Pennsylvania Teamsters & Employers Pension Fund

You should also write to the fund you are in to obtain a fuller version of their Form 5500 than is available on FreeErisaDotCom. Search engines turn up useful info as well.
Ideally, monthly financial reports should be posted online by the funds, along with audit reports, board minutes, actuarial reports, investment results, etc. After all, it is our money. But instead we are treated like good little mushrooms and kept in the dark.

J

JonFrum

It might surprise some to know that pension funds are insured by Fidelity Bonds, usually for $500,000, sometimes more. A surety company insures the fund against losses from fraud or dishonesty on the part of those handling the fund's money. However, if a fund has certain non-standard investments, they may have to buy higher coverage from a surety bonding company. Like all insurance, these bonds cost money, so even if you never suffer a loss, you are still "out" the cost of the premiums. A high level of coverage may give you greater peace of mind, or cause you to worry why the higher level may have been necessary.

The two funds run by UPS, for example, (the UPS Pension Plan and the UPS Retirement Plan), the 401(k) plan, as well as some Teamsters sponsored plans have the standard coverage of half a million dollars. The International Association of Machinists (IAM) National Pension Plan is covered by a bond of $1 million; the Local 710 fund, by $2 million; Central States by $3 million; Local 705, by $5 million; the New England fund, by $10 million; and (drum roll please) the Western Conference fund by $20 million!!!
- - - -
Selected information from Form 5500 Western Conference fund 2004:
Schedule H Part IV: Transactions During Plan Year

b. Were any loans by the plan or fixed income obligations due the plan in default as of the close of plan year or classified during the year as uncollectible? Yes. $55,324,935.

c. Were any leases to which the plan was a party in default or classified during the year as uncollectible? Yes. $177,660.

e. Was this plan covered by a fidelity bond? Yes. $20,000,000.

friend. Did the plan have a loss, whether or not reimbursed by the plan's fidelity bond, that was caused by fraud or dishonesty? No.

g. Did the plan hold any assets whose current value was neither readily determinable on an established market nor set by an independent third party appraiser? Yes. $109,236,975.

j. Were any plan transactions or series of transactions in excess of 5% of the current value of plan assets? Yes.

Schedule H, Part II Income and Expense Statement
Administrative expenses:
(1) Professional fees: $3,853,769
(2) Contract administrator fees: $49,639,473
(3) Investment advisory and management fees: $42,824,370
(4) Other: $5,097,913
(5) Total administrative expenses: $101,415,525

Schedule C, Service Providers [only the top 40 Service Providers are required to be listed individually.]
ANTHONY C. LOCK, CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD, TRUSTEE Gross salary or allowances paid by plan $255,557.
BERNARD T. EILERTS, CO-CHAIRMAN/SECRETARY, TRUSTEE Fees and commissions paid by plan $220,235.

Schedule B, Actuarial Information Part I
11. Has a change been made in the actuarial assumptions for the current plan year? Yes.
- - - -

Selected information from Form 5500 Central States fund 2004
Schedule H, Part IV Transactions During Plan Year

b. Were any loans by the plan or fixed income obligations due the plan in default as of the close of plan year or classified during the year as uncollectible? Yes. $57,598,491.

e. Was this plan covered by a fidelity bond? Yes. $3,000,000.

friend Did the plan have a loss, whether or not reimbursed by the plan's fidelity bond, that was caused by fraud or dishonesty? No.

g. Did the plan hold any assets whose current value was neither readily determinable on an established market nor set by an independent third party appraiser? Yes. $11,965,954.

j. Were any plan transactions or series of transactions in excess of 5% of the current value of plan assets? Yes.

Schedule H, Part II Income and Expense Statement
Administrative expenses:
(1) Professional fees: $1,393,809.
(2) Contract administrator fees: - -
(3) Investment advisory and management fees: $68,626,086.
(4) Other: $57,584,226.
(5) Total administrative expenses: $127,604,121.

Schedule B, Actuarial Information Part I
11 Has a change been made in the actuarial assumptions for the current plan year? Yes.

For further details on all of this, see the Form 5500s themselves. And have a Happy New Year!

J

JonFrum

. . .does anyone know the real reason these pension funds become so underfunded? . . .

Lots of reasons, Brett636.
First, nearly all pension funds are squeezed, not just Teamsters funds. There is a general lack of sound financial understanding and reasoning on the part of most people that has led to problems throught our economy.
The funds were counting on healthy investment returns, and instead they got three years of market stagnation and loss.
The funds are largely ignored by most "participants" until they have about twenty years or more invested.
The funds are governed by a board of trustees that is half Management and half Labor, which, while seemingly fair and balanced, is also a recipe for disagreement and stalemate.
Because the trustees design and run the fund, they have wide latitude in making decisions. They don't have to be right, or fair. They just have to avoid being found unreasonable or arbitrary.
Trustees may vote higher benefit levels than the plan's asset pool can support. Often, this is what many want them to do.
Loose accounting rules. Though the rules have finally been tightened up. (The tightening itself has made the near-term problem worse!)
Costs are "amortized" which lets the plans fund expenses over 15 or so years, a little at a time. This tends to allow known expenses to build up, and create a worse situation when the stock market takes one of its inevitable dips.
The laws that govern the funds, are written by Labor and Management as they exert their influence in the political process. Like all regulatory law created by committee, it is almost impossible to have tough laws with teeth. Mostly, laws are a compromise, so that no party is so offended that they take their votes and political contributions and go home.
The funds have 210 days after their plan year ends to file their Form 5500s. It takes more time for the forms to become public. Some of the information in the Forms is from the begining of the plan year, making it even older. You would need several prior year form 5500s as well to know the history of the fund's situation.
The Summary Annual Report the funds send you is only a page or two. The version available on Welcome to freeErisa.com! is much longer, but still not complete, although it is free. The copying cost of the full Annual Report available from the Dept. of Labor or the plans themselves, will discourage many from getting their own copy.
Many think, as I did until recently, that a fund is fully funded if it is funded at 100%. Unfortunately, there are so many things that can go wrong, that a fund should plan for a rainy day(s) by "overfunding" to 110 or 120% or more.
Some believe it is actually desirable to underfund a plan. This guarantees future problems.
There is expensive duplication of effort when we are all split up into numerous regional funds. If all Teamsters were consolidated into one fund we would achieve a great savings. Even more so if the consolidation went beyond the Teamsters to include as many others as possible. The Teamsters Health & Welfare funds are many times more fragmented than even the pension funds.
The funds pay out a great deal of money to investment advisors as if they are buying expertise. They really shouldn't need all that advice. They should have their own opinions. Pension funds are supose to invest prudently, so risky investments are off limits. It shouldn't be that hard for a competent trustee to know how to invest in safe investments like government bonds and money market funds and the major market indexes. What on earth are they buying with all the millions they pay in consulting fees? Basically, the stock market, will either go up, go down, or stay about the same. You have a 1/3 chance of being right just by guessing. You have a much better chance of being right if you read the financial newspapers, magazines, watch the news, and listen to the radio, especially since (hint, hint) the very long term trend is always up, anyway.
The funds pay out consulting fees to people even when their advice lost money. Mostly I think the trustees are establishing a paper trail to demonstrate that if things go bad, hey, they were just acting on the advice of experts.
The law normally prevents funds from cutting benefits for current retirees and the rest of us who have earned vested benefits to date. So funds must concentrate all their cutting on future benefit accruals, thus magnifing the pain to those of us effected.
No one provides sufficient information to keep us informed of our pension fund situation. The government, the Teamsters, UPS, TDU, several pension improvement committees, several pension reform websites, and the funds, themselves, all do a little, but not nearly enough.
The amount of misinformation in circulation is shocking. I'm trying to fix that a bit, but I'm just one guy, and I already have a full-time job. What is needed is for TDU and the various Pension Reform Committees to unite into one general committee and tackle all the pension plans(and H&W plans) simultaneously. The piecemeal approach just doesn't work.
The funds and their policies are largely beyond our control. We are the members, but only in a technical sense. The funds are created by the Teamsters Union and the trustees are appointed by Teamsters officials and management groups. Typically, the funds were in existence before we were hired (or born?) so we are just along for the ride. There is no actual process to approve or disaprove of the fund's various policies. Usually, the only discussion about the pension is at contract time and only concerns the level of hourly contributions, and this is mostly decided by Teamsters negotiators. Although the pension mess may be a bigger issue in contract talks this time around, it still is only one article among many in the contract. We need to address the pension issue in all its facets sometime when it alone is up for discussion.
In short, when it comes to pension funds, (and H&W funds) we live in the worst of all possible worlds, and many people have deliberately worked very hard over these many years to make and keep these difficult situations, just the way they are.

J

JonFrum

What follows is a message originally posted on TeamsterNet by "BillyMills" titled "Local 177 Pension Possible Cuts Ahead, Pension Cuts Posssible."
Local 177 Pension Possible Cuts Ahead - TeamsterNet Forums
Apparently Local 177 members recently received a notice that their pension fund was only 55% funded, and that Health & Wellfare raises may be redirected to shore up the pension fund, like in Central States. Does anyone on BrownCafe have any further details?
Free Erisa Dot Com lists two pension funds for Local 177. They can be accessed by searching the Form 5500 database at
Welcome to freeErisa.com!
for Company Name Contains: 177
and selecting New Jersey from the list of States.
I assume the fund in question is called the LOCAL 177 UNION PENSION PLAN, with Form 5500s available for 2004, 2003, 2002, and 2001.
And the other plan is called PARCEL DELIVERY SERVICE EMPLOYEE PENSION PLAN, with Form 5500s available for 2004, 2002, and 2001. The latter fund appears to be in better financial shape, but oddly, only has nine Active Participants! Wazupwitdat?

QUOTE:
"Well now that whoever bothered to read the mail from Local 177 (Because not everyone reads his or her mail) have had time to digest what is going on with the Pension. Let us all try to be there on the 7th and be prepared to ask questions and get satisfactory answers.

The funding notice was for the year ending 2005. Primary fault was placed on the Stock Market performance from 2000-2001. The years 2002-2005 also playing a role. So nary a peep was heard from our Local 177 Executive Board Union Trustee’s until the government required form was mailed out regarding the under funding.

What the our Local 177 Executive Board Union Trustee’s did to alleviate this situatiuion during the prior 6 years is not specifically specified in the letter received. While they may anticipate swings in the market, a more proactive approach would be better suited for our members.

Whether they have the capability to do that or if UPS Trustees are in some way culpable in this matter it once again was not explained (as far as allowing it to progress to this point in the Pension Plans life cycle).

As far as taking money out of the Health Plan to put into the Pension Plan (specifically 25 cents) there was no mention of what effect this would have on the Pension Plan.

As of this time and based on the records at hand regarding 2005 being 55% funded results, the New Pension Protection Act of 2006 would consider our Pension as Critical Status.

Which as of this writing cannot only affect our future benefits but also indeed in some cases cut accrued benefits. ( in other words benefits already being paid out)

Nevertheless, let us not get ahead of ourselves; the 7th should be a rather informative day."

J

JonFrum

The National Coordinating Committee for Multiemployer Plans (NCCMP) has lots of information at its website . . .
Welcome to NCCMP :: Mulitemployer Plans and Pension Funding Reform
and links to other useful articles. Just be aware that this is an alliance of Union and Management, and both sides, jointly, have an interest in avoiding any blame for pension plan underfunding.
- - - - -
Here's a seminar being conducted by Ford & Harrison of Peachtree Street, Atlanta, Ga., for employers in Teamsters pension funds. Not a good sign. . . .

"The Critical Condition of Teamster Multi-Employer Pension Plans"
1/17/2007 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Crowne Plaza O'Hare
5440 North River Road
Rosemont, IL 60018
and
1/24/2007 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Radisson Plaza-Warwick Hotel Philadelphia
1701 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
404-888-3987, Herve H. Aitken, David C. Hagaman, Kevin M. Williams

The Teamsters Multi-Employer Pension Plans are at risk due to significant under-funding projected to top $20 billion in 2007.
How does this impact your company?
Are you prepared to handle a potential major financial fallout?
Learn how to start taking control today to minimize your company's financial liability and risk at Ford & Harrison's unique seminar in Chicago for employers participating in the Teamsters Multi-Employer Pension Plans.
Every employer needs to be prepared. Join us to learn how.
The registration fee is $295 for the first person and $195 for each additional attendee from the same company.
http://www.fordharrison.com/files/Chicago Pension Plans Invitation 1.17.07.pdf
- - - - -
The new pension plan law forces plans to adopt higher accounting standards, and that's a very good thing. But it also means many plans are experiencing a double blow: First they lost a lot of our money as a result of their foolish investment policies, and second, the government is raising the bar that determines if a plan is financially sound or not. High standards are long overdue, but they come at a bad time for trustees who have been operating underfunded plans all along, and who just threw away hundreds of millions, even billions more, in the market. What everyone now needs to determine is, how long will it take to recover from the losses, realizing that we can never get back the money that was lost.

Even when the funds inform us of funding problems, it's often several years too late and the notices are cleverly worded to soft-pedal the bad news. When I read the 2-page Summary Annual Report my fund sends me, I never get the impression that the fund is, in fact, in crisis. The notices are designed to conceal as much as they reveal, and to only reveal what the law requires. Funds have considerable leeway in deciding which accounting methods to use. When one method or assumption leads to a funding deficiency, they simply change assumptions or methods and presto, the deficiency goes away, or at least is put off for another year. This deceptive, though legal, accounting tactic allows problems to build up, just as repeated ammortizing of expenses does. Eventually, the piper must be paid. Some funds have problems, not in the current year, but in future years. Actuaries calculate the funding status of each fund thru 2014 and maybe even beyond. If a fund will have a funding deficiency, or a potential deficiency, in any one of those future years, the trustees must take action now to head it off. Either benefits will be cut or contributions raised, or a combination of both. This happens even in funds that appear healthy currently.

It may take many years to dig ourselves out of this hole. To make matters worse, few people are interested in joining a troubled multi-employer plan, either as a worker or an employer. Employers are eliminating or scaling-back existing plans. Unions can't sell people or employers on the benefits of joining their pension plans. So now we have the further problem that the funds are seen as destined to slowly pass out of existence, one by one. I don't see the Teamsters fixing any of this. It will be interesting to see what happens when the next big unexpected crisis hits the plans.

Cezanne

Question that should be asked is to whatever happened to accountability. When is the line crossed from bad investment practices to criminal fraud and what government agency or organization overlooks or investigates these concerns. Are these trustees above the law or protected from civil action, individually or as a group. Think about it, these shortages did not happen overnight. It took several years of underfunding to get a pension fund to the red line levels. If you consider that Central States was the largest fund under teamster control, why did not somebody, somewhere see this coming. How in the world did it get to a 59 percent vesting ratio without a blip on the radar screen, something is rotten in Denmark if you get my drift.

Alot of smoke being created with this underfunding issue, will take some digging to get to the source of the fire but somebody was playing with matches. What grieves me is the lack of honest feedback from all parties involved in this problem, has anybody else got bogus information back from inquiries about your pension and or health and welfare questions or is it only me. Covering your tail seems to be the main concern from the people in power currently.

Can this be worked out with the upcoming contract negotiations? Believe it can, there are alot of creative ways to achieve an successful means for a reasonable pension formula. Not everybody will be happy about it, share the pain concept. Considering that I am in the Central States area and I do have a problem with other teamsters members with the same number of years collecting two or three times more at retirement. Does it make sense to have an universal pension formula that pays all Teamsters the same in whatever fund they are currently under. Believe that it is heading that way, no more local political decision making with our pensions. Promising increases without the means of fulfilling those obligations.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Jonfrum
Your information is very interesting but is there a way you could condense your info so its not like reading a novel ? Your info is very accurate but mine an i know for sure some others in here have a limited attention span ? :-)

Cezanne

wildgoose,

Believe it or not Jonfrum has explained it as simple as it gets. Have an actual copy of the ERISA act of l974 and if you ever get a chance to look at it prepare to be overwhelmed with it's legal jargon. Still can not believe that there are people who love doing this kind of work of interpretating federal laws that is, why I am not a attorney. Been looking into the pension misinformation for a number of years now, basically over issues with my own. Can tell you that you and others on this forum might have to research and obtain information on your individual pension credits and rights outside whatever information provided by the union or company. Documentation is very important, keep ALL related materials sent to you, annually summaries, requested replies about your pension and health and welfare benefits. Apathy is the real killer on this issue concerning the amount of time and effort it takes to get a nugget of truth.

I basically understand what information Jonfrum is posting. He has done some research into this matter considering the additional websites that he has included with his responses. It is amazing that with most of us with internet capabilities and a little research can shed a little light on this problem. Not too many years ago most of this information would not be so accessable to the general public, this provides some accountability to a complicated issue.:thumbup1:

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
wildgoose,

Believe it or not Jonfrum has explained it as simple as it gets. Have an actual copy of the ERISA act of l974 and if you ever get a chance to look at it prepare to be overwhelmed with it's legal jargon. Still can not believe that there are people who love doing this kind of work of interpretating federal laws that is, why I am not a attorney. Been looking into the pension misinformation for a number of years now, basically over issues with my own. Can tell you that you and others on this forum might have to research and obtain information on your individual pension credits and rights outside whatever information provided by the union or company. Documentation is very important, keep ALL related materials sent to you, annually summaries, requested replies about your pension and health and welfare benefits. Apathy is the real killer on this issue concerning the amount of time and effort it takes to get a nugget of truth.

I basically understand what information Jonfrum is posting. He has done some research into this matter considering the additional websites that he has included with his responses. It is amazing that with most of us with internet capabilities and a little research can shed a little light on this problem. Not too many years ago most of this information would not be so accessable to the general public, this provides some accountability to a complicated issue.:thumbup1:
So in essence what your saying is that Central States is "Screwed" ?

nospinzone

Central States Pension Fund Summary Report

For those that didn't receive this..... there is the summary report of the Central States Pension Fund as reported by Central States which was released in Nov 2006----60% funded at best. Where is all the money UPS is contributing going to?

Mystakilla

Who the *$#@ cares.
Probably towards the 2000 brand new tractors and trailers they just bought. The tractors are nice to have and are better then the POS we drive now but we have absolutley no room for all the trailers.

D

dougtina

I didn't read your whole message, but to answer your question, UPS pays for all living Teamsters, regardless of who they worked for. The reason you are paying, which would be a problem otherwise, is that the union rules wouldn't ever exclude old debts, which, by the way, they don't have the money to cover.

In fact, they don't have the money to cover your retirement. Your current contributions are going to someone who retired from a long-expired company with long-ago teamster representation.

This is very much like the social security situation in our current. The main, and most important, difference is that the government can levy new taxes to pay for their screw-up. The teamster can only choke otherwise healthy companies until they croak.

There are hundred of companies that don't exist, but your contributions pay for your IBT brother's retirement. It is a shame that you don't pay much less and get much more benefit by only paying into a Brotherhood of UPS Teamsters fund.

Believe it or not, UPS was trying to get to this point during the contract that led to the strike. UPS may have went to far by saying that THEY would management the funds. However, the real reason they wanted to do this is that they are bleeding to the teamsters for people not on their retirement roles, and that UPS does not trust that the Teamsters would management your money properly, even if the Teamsters created a UPS-only fund.

I am glad you guys are starting to look at this. During your next contact, you would do well to see both sides as screwing you, and then pit them against each other for your best interest.

I would just like to say thanks for your insight , I am glad there are others as upset with the whole pension issue as we are here in the southeast, I agree 100 % with you this next contract is very important to all of us.