UPS Weapons Policy?

bluehdmc

I'm not really a gun person, (plus NJ is quite the gun control state), If I did have one, parked "off property" and someone broke into my car and stole it, and it was used in the commission of a crime, I'd feel very guilty.
I'm sure if the OP, used a can of pepper spray on the 50yr old guy in the Lexus, it really would have made the Lexus owner think twice the next time he wanted to confront someone.
I wouldn't feel too bad if a container of pepper spray (non-lethal force) was stolen out of my car. Just the normal upset if my car was broken into.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm not really a gun person, (plus NJ is quite the gun control state), If I did have one, parked "off property" and someone broke into my car and stole it, and it was used in the commission of a crime, I'd feel very guilty.
I'm sure if the OP, used a can of pepper spray on the 50yr old guy in the Lexus, it really would have made the Lexus owner think twice the next time he wanted to confront someone.
I wouldn't feel too bad if a container of pepper spray (non-lethal force) was stolen out of my car. Just the normal upset if my car was broken into.
Blue, you have a very valid point. I personally would not leave a gun locked in my vehicle unless absolutely necessary.

over9five

Staff member
I don't think anyone should feel guilty because some lowlife thief broke into their car and stole something. You are not responsible for someone else's actions, and you should not feel responsible for what the lowlife does with your gun after he steals it.

Some states have laws that corporations CAN NOT override state law by prohibiting you from keeping a gun in your locked car on company property. Check your state laws.

D

Dis-organized Labor

A 'pin puller' could be a very good choice. Lightweight but with a hook on one end and a handle on the other it could do some serious damage. Especially if the hook has a point on it. :happy2:
\\

FINALLY: A use for this Smiley!!

:you_go_girl:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

the vast, vast majority of violent crimes committed with a firearm are committed against other criminals

just saying..

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I damn near killed a center manager with my pin puller- He was working late and wanted to say hello while I was unhooking. he was about 2 foot away from me when he spoke and I almost tagged him but good. I carry a 4 inch blade in my gerber multitool, plus I have the maglight 4 "D" cell flashlight. The flashlight makes a great stopper, both of dogs and people.

Then park off property.
If I were concerned about UPS finding my gun, hidden in my vehicle this is what I would do. Out of 20+ years on the job they never once asked to search my personal truck.

It's concealed as long as you keep your mouth shut.:peaceful:
exactly

This is one of the dumbest things things I've ever read on here. If someone stole you car and ran an old lady down in the street, would you feel guilty? And yeah, it's the same friggin thing.

the vast, vast majority of violent crimes committed with a firearm are committed against other criminals

just saying..
I'd really like to see some stats to support this claim.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I damn near killed a center manager with my pin puller- He was working late and wanted to say hello while I was unhooking. he was about 2 foot away from me when he spoke and I almost tagged him but good. I carry a 4 inch blade in my gerber multitool, plus I have the maglight 4 "D" cell flashlight. The flashlight makes a great stopper, both of dogs and people.

YOWSAHH! Did you actually swing or just wanted to?

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Every Feeder driver carries a small holster flashlight. But did you know you can get a small tactical holster flashlight?
Mine has a high and low setting, and a blinding strobe. The bulb end is "crowned" to make it quite painful to be hit with it. I bought it about a month ago at a gun show. Amazingly bright, comes with a rechargeable battery and charger, haven't had to recharge it yet.!

Sounds like a Surefire flashlight. Compact, bright as hell and chiseled crown when you need to do some close quarters stamping of someone's forehead.

My choice of flashlight/weapon.

CRASH501

what's the specific policy on weapons in the workplace? obviously firearms are a total no-go, but what about a pocket knife?
is there a specific blade length that would be allowable?

i ask because i've had a few totally insane drivers harass me for driving the speed limit after i leave my facility, including one that tried to force my vehicle to stop so he could presumably "teach me a lesson" or something, and if i can't have a firearm on company policy, it would be nice to have SOMETHING to defend myself with.

even Federal facilities allows a 2.5in blade, what about UPS?
I HAVE CARRIED EITHER A KNIFE OR AN ASP RETRACTING BATON FOR YEARS........have never had to use or even think of using either , but it urks me that i am licenced to cary a firearm in multiple states and ups wont allow it !!!

I HAVE CARRIED EITHER A KNIFE OR AN ASP RETRACTING BATON FOR YEARS........have never had to use or even think of using either , but it urks me that i am licenced to cary a firearm in multiple states and ups wont allow it !!!
There are two reasons UPS does not allow guns. One is the "Postal" aspect(how many days in you center go by that someone doesn't get so pissed they can hardly stand it) two is the prospective law suits if a driver one area injured anyone. Both of these reasons lead directly to corporate accountability. $$$$$$

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tpl

Mostly you have nailed it. For the same reason they have a non discrimination policy, but it still happens. Or the workplace violence policy.

As long as they show they have a policy in writing, that allows them to hide behind that policy should something go wrong.

But as a practical matter, a gun at work is just so much more crap that you have to handle and take care of. To me, not really worth the effort. And too much responsibility.

So unless you carried it on your side all day, what good would it do locked behind the bulkhead door.

d

Tpl

Mostly you have nailed it. For the same reason they have a non discrimination policy, but it still happens. Or the workplace violence policy.

As long as they show they have a policy in writing, that allows them to hide behind that policy should something go wrong.

But as a practical matter, a gun at work is just so much more crap that you have to handle and take care of. To me, not really worth the effort. And too much responsibility.

So unless you carried it on your side all day, what good would it do locked behind the bulkhead door.

d
I agree with the practicality and responsibility aspects. I really doubt that I would have carried even if UPS allowed it.

bad company

semi-pro
"We also prohibit the unauthorized possession and/or use of weapons by any employee while at work, on company property, or while on company business."

So since I have a state issued firearms license which authorizes me to legally carry my firearms concealed in accordance to state law, than the possession and/or use of said firearm could be justifiable and legal depending on the situation (based on local, state, and federal laws concerning usage and possession). *It can get complicated and potentially illegal in school zones, government complexes, public parks, and public gatherings.

I am a fan and user of the tactical flashlights from Surefire. Higher lumen output than the maglite, significantly smaller and lighter, high-quality and virtually indestructable build, and depending on the model, the crenellated Strike Bezel can provide additional defensive options.

Be aware though that in some states (California and others) it can be a felony to carry such an item solely for self-defense. If questioned by LE, remember it's crenellated to prevent the light bulb from overheating and also designed to be a window breaking tool for emergency rescue situations. :wink2: Just like most things concerning the law, it is all about intent.

bad company

semi-pro
Regarding the conceal carry of a firearm while working... if you're doing it right, nobody will know (unless you use it of course). I understand the reasoning of it not being worth losing your job. However I also believe that it does me no good to have a job at UPS and be dead. It's a different time, and violent crimes are getting worse and higher in frequency. Have you been to Atlanta lately?... I'd rather lose my job, than lose my life.

I don't suggest that every person go carrying around a firearm or other weapon. But if one chooses to do so, I would hope that the person would be doing it in accordance to the law. They should also educate themselves on the laws at all levels (local, state, fed). I would also hope that he/she understand the risks and prepare themselves for any potential consequences such as litigation. The chances of successful outcome in any litigation, whether civil or criminal, significantly increases if one can show reasonable and responsible actions like taking certified classes on the usage of such weapon and its respective safety measures.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There are two reasons UPS does not allow guns. One is the "Postal" aspect(how many days in you center go by that someone doesn't get so pissed they can hardly stand it) two is the prospective law suits if a driver one area injured anyone. Both of these reasons lead directly to corporate accountability. $$$$$$

UPS is a company that frequently promotes myths and often lives in a parallel, fantasy universe.

Consider the "weapons-free workplace" rule.

Our "security" consists of an unarmed guard, earning minimum wage to sit behind a malfunctioning metal detector that screeches and beeps every time the door to the guard shack opens. There is also a piece of paper taped to the wall that proclaims our facility to be a "weapons-free zone".

What it really is...is a corporate-sanctioned killing zone chock full of unarmed and helpless victims for any nutcase who decided to go in there with a weapon.

The metal detector, unarmed guard and the "no weapons" sign are a great way for the company to get that warm, fuzzy feeling of safety....but God help us when someone down there decides to go postal. The unarmed guard will simply be the first one to die, and by the time the cops showed up there is no telling how many unarmed employees will have been shot and killed while in the safety of their "weapons-free workplace".

Psycho murderers have been known to disregard signs that forbid weapons in the areas they intend to kill people. They have also been known to disregard laws that prohibit murder. The accused Fort Hood murderer is but one example...the only thing he couldnt disregard is the armed guard that shot him 4 times with her weapon and forced him to stop the killing.

CRASH501

ups is a company that frequently promotes myths and often lives in a parallel, fantasy universe.

Consider the "weapons-free workplace" rule.

Our "security" consists of an unarmed guard, earning minimum wage to sit behind a malfunctioning metal detector that screeches and beeps every time the door to the guard shack opens. There is also a piece of paper taped to the wall that proclaims our facility to be a "weapons-free zone".

What it really is...is a corporate-sanctioned killing zone chock full of unarmed and helpless victims for any nutcase who decided to go in there with a weapon.

The metal detector, unarmed guard and the "no weapons" sign are a great way for the company to get that warm, fuzzy feeling of safety....but god help us when someone down there decides to go postal. The unarmed guard will simply be the first one to die, and by the time the cops showed up there is no telling how many unarmed employees will have been shot and killed while in the safety of their "weapons-free workplace".

Psycho murderers have been known to disregard signs that forbid weapons in the areas they intend to kill people. They have also been known to disregard laws that prohibit murder. The accused fort hood murderer is but one example...the only thing he couldnt disregard is the armed guard that shot him 4 times with her weapon and forced him to stop the killing.
.well said