UPS won't insure spouses of many employees

jeepguy63

Nothing but everything. Obamacare mandates that every employer with >50 employees provide healthcare for their employees who work more than 30 hours per week. So for a non-union admin, who's spouse works at red lobster (darden rest.), currently the spouse has ins through ups and a $12.00 per hour job at red lob. Under the new Obamacare rules either red lob cuts the hours under 30, or the spouse is eligible for red lob hc benefits.
Most Obamacare mandated hc benefits are bare bones, high deductible plans.
UPS doesn't have to make this rule - they just did it to cut their cost. I don't know which is the sadder of the two.... The impaCt Obamacare will have on the nation, or the screwing ups just gave its non- union workforce since they could.

Lemvil

I'm wondering if Corporate anticipated the negative coverage of this story as it seems to me Atlanta is caught flat footed at the moment. In my area UPSPAC contributions were down, we are scrambling for United Way donations (daily PCMS about the importance of giving which almost border on begging) as we are currently under 50% participation, and the amount of negative postings on UPSers.com in the Founders Day story. Is it possible Corporate knows not to push any further with "enhancements"....no I doubt it, if you are under level 20 they do not care. On top of this the EES is coming up, anyone care to guess what this year's score will be?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm wondering if Corporate anticipated the negative coverage of this story as it seems to me Atlanta is caught flat footed at the moment. In my area UPSPAC contributions were down, we are scrambling for United Way donations (daily PCMS about the importance of giving which almost border on begging) as we are currently under 50% participation, and the amount of negative postings on UPSers.com in the Founders Day story. Is it possible Corporate knows not to push any further with "enhancements"....no I doubt it, if you are under level 20 they do not care. On top of this the EES is coming up, anyone care to guess what this year's score will be?

Flatfooted most likely.
20's and up seem to have a different viewpoint on most everything when it comes to benefit and compensation reductions.
​It's like they are not affected.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Seems this story might have been spinning a little out of control from the start:

"Since the Affordable Care Act requires employers to provide affordable coverage, we believe your spouse should be covered by their own employer - just as UPS has a responsibility to offer coverage to you, our employee," UPS said in the memo. "Limiting plan eligibility is one way to manage ongoing health care costs."
"Spouses who don't work or lack employer-provided insurance will still be covered by the company's health plan"
UPS drops health benefits for spouses in U.S. - SFGate

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Seems this story might have been spinning a little out of control from the start:

"Since the Affordable Care Act requires employers to provide affordable coverage, we believe your spouse should be covered by their own employer - just as UPS has a responsibility to offer coverage to you, our employee," UPS said in the memo. "Limiting plan eligibility is one way to manage ongoing health care costs."
"Spouses who don't work or lack employer-provided insurance will still be covered by the company's health plan"
UPS drops health benefits for spouses in U.S. - SFGate

Good point.
At first, it seem logical to me - "If your spouse has access to insurance elsewhere, that company must pay up."

Then I realized that even though UPS non-union has to pay part of their healthcare premium, other companies premiums are much higher.

As an individual spouse, when you were getting insurance free and maybe a $500 annual payment to not use their company's insurance, it is a considerable drain on family disposable income. Maybe as much as $500 a month less.
This hurts many families.

Nobody is wrong but it just ain't right. :biting:

See real life examples of other companies' plans in posts 24 & 25 in http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/insurance-cuts-spouses-352128/

island1fox

President Obama told EVERYONE up front that he was going to fundamentally change the country ---How are your liking the hopes and change !!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
President Obama told EVERYONE up front that he was going to fundamentally change the country ---How are your liking the hopes and change !!

How do I like it?
It's the same as it ever was....
Politicians, on both sides, are just a bunch of Talking Heads.

[video=youtube;98AJUj-qxHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI[/video]

island1fox

How do I like it?
It's the same as it ever was....
Politicians, on both sides, are just a bunch of Talking Heads.

[video=youtube;98AJUj-qxHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI[/video]

dido,

If that we're true---- We would have our same healthcare-- middle class workers of course

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

dido,

If that we're true---- We would have our same healthcare-- middle class workers of course

What I'm saying is the politicians don't care about you or your healthcare..... they never have.
It IS the same as it ever was.
They can talk their heads off about hope and change all they want. They can talk against it all they want.

The union has secured for us the best option possible. We didn't really want UPS corporate in control of our healthcare. I think what they did to their management is pretty telling.... Maybe the union has saved us from the same fate.

My healthcare WILL be the same as it ever was.... I don't know if you are union, or what area of the country you are in, but my healthcare will remain mostly unchanged.

island1fox

Mostly unchanged is really a contradiction. From a lot of other posts --It seems no one is really sure what the teamcare coverage will be . You have to pass the supplements --to find out what is in it.
Gee---I have heard that somewhere before.:happy-very:

BrownTie

When they change the coverage for Management 2 or 3 years ago, I told my wife that it would be more cheaper to have her insurance cover her and the kids while I will be covered by UPS. It was close to $150.00 difference. Now her company is also adopting the UPS health insurance policy. This is not Just UPS, every Corporate company will be headed down this road. Is it Obamacare or just cost cutting? Is it both?.. I am use to it now.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Mostly unchanged is really a contradiction. From a lot of other posts --It seems no one is really sure what the teamcare coverage will be . You have to pass the supplements --to find out what is in it.
Gee---I have heard that somewhere before.:happy-very:

LOL! According to who? TEAMCare has released a summary of changes and has been diligent in answering questions. The persons currently in what's now TEAMCare are highly satisfied with the level of coverage (sans one person on this forum; his issue is that the cost of care exceeded the lifetime limit but he feels it should be covered anyway ... ACA elimited lifetime limits, which existed at all insurances including UPS's). The persons voicing displeasure with TEAMCare are the ones transitioning into it ... and we'll have better coverage than current incumbent members. The central issue is the increased costs associated with TEAMCare. I did the math in another thread -- at the MOST, a PT credited with 1,000 hours per year (that's about an 18-hour work week + peak & paid time off) will relinquish 20% of his raise over the next five years. But for most PTers, the number will fall between 5%-10% (some more, some less). For a FT driver, at the MOST it'll be about 7-8% of their pay. For most, it'll amount to just a few percentage points. Still feel sorry for them?

Many of the increased costs with TEAMCare can be avoided, and most are justified. For example, under the current company-controlled plan, it doesn't cost the member much more to go to the E.R. than it does intensive care or your PCP. I know MANY persons who take their kid to the ER because they sneezed once and the parent freaked. It might not cost much to the employee, but UPS is paying hundreds for that bill. Hike the employees' cost up, they'll think twice.

Karma...

Another way of looking at the situation is that the 15,000 non-union folks will be subsidizing those whose spouses dont work and are drawing benefits from the UPS pool.....To be fair the 15000 should have their monthly contributions cut by say half while the other people should either be forced to work or pay more into the benefits...say double...Its clear that a change was coming but lets for this time have it impact everyone.

Popeye

I am one of the unlucky 15,000 who are getting screwed on this one. My wife has been on my UPS insurance since we've been married. She is able to get insurance through her employer, but the insurance is expensive and it sucks. That's why she hasn't been on it all along. She is a cancer patient, so we've hit the max out of pocket amount for the past few years. Now we'll have two separate out of pocket maximums to hit. One for her and one for the kids and I. We won't know exactly what the financial impact will be until we see all the costs during both benefit selection periods. It will be thousands per year, there's no doubt about that.