usa: 50% of 25 year olds living at home w/ parents, 30% of 30 year olds are living at home w parents

rickyb

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-12-14/why-milennials-are-stuck-living-home-parents

in america 50% of 25 year olds are living at home with parents, 30% of 30 year olds are living at home w parents

instead of working a low paying job at 40 hours a week, these rotten lazy kids need to being working 80 hours a week! whats wrong with this generation?!?

certainly capitalism leaving america for low paying jobs overseas has nothing to do with it. and im positive the average $30,000 student debt (highest in the developed world) for a bachelors degree has nothing to do with it...

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I'm going to go out on a limb and say what I think the biggest contributors to this trend are.

1.) The continuous push for the necessity of college education even to those who would actually be better off without it.

2.) The federal government guaranteeing student loans to every Joe Shmuckenelli regardless of the outlook of their chosen career field and the likelihood of their ability to pay them back.

3.) The 'participation trophy' mentality that has been a cancer on an entire generation that I am almost ashamed to admit I am part of. I'm seeing fewer and fewer young people with enough personal pride to want to make it on their own, even though they would be perfectly capable of doing so if they just worked at it, and they seem have no game plan whatsoever to make it there.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm going to go out on a limb and say what I think the biggest contributors to this trend are.

1.) The continuous push for the necessity of college education even to those who would actually be better off without it.

2.) The federal government guaranteeing student loans to every Joe Shmuckenelli regardless of the outlook of their chosen career field and the likelihood of their ability to pay them back.

3.) The 'participation trophy' mentality that has been a cancer on an entire generation that I am almost ashamed to admit I am part of. I'm seeing fewer and fewer young people with enough personal pride to want to make it on their own, even though they would be perfectly capable of doing so if they just worked at it, and they seem have no game plan whatsoever to make it there.

Those are all very true, however, you left out a huge part of the equation.... Parents not doing their jobs to raise their children to be productive, independent members of society.

rod

Retired 22 years
We have a few friends who have kids (?) in their 20's & 30's still living at home. From what I see there is NO reason for these sponges to move out. Their Mommy and Daddy still pick up the tab for everything and treat them like they are 12 years old. There is nothing wrong with helping your kid get out if needed. The sad thing is these sponges all talk their parents down and I've even witnessed them arguing over whos getting the most freebies. The winner was the young punk lawyer who still lives at home because he likes his moms cooking and she does his laundry.

rickyb

We have a few friends who have kids (?) in their 20's & 30's still living at home. From what I see there is NO reason for these sponges to move out. Their Mommy and Daddy still pick up the tab for everything and treat them like they are 12 years old. There is nothing wrong with helping your kid get out if needed. The sad thing is these sponges all talk their parents down and I've even witnessed them arguing over whos getting the most freebies. The winner was the young punk lawyer who still lives at home because he likes his moms cooking and she does his laundry.
Those are all very true, however, you left out a huge part of the equation.... Parents not doing their jobs to raise their children to be productive, independent members of society.

to quote the expert in the article (who frequently is quoted on the tv show keiser report):

young adults are living at home because of:

"-Heavy levels of student debt

-Lower wages

-Inability to afford current home prices and in many markets, current rents"

i havent seen too many articles on young generation being unambitious, but i have heard critiques of them being stuck in technology. and the parents should have set a good example for their kids by continuing the civil unrest of the 60s and 70s in america.

but like i said it comes down to capitalism in decay for america, and poor government policy which is partly because people dont organize and protest.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
i havent seen too many articles on young generation being unambitious, but i have heard critiques of them being stuck in technology
This is a generation who unfortunately their entire lives were told by parents and teachers that they were all special and were winners no matter what and couldn't fail. The result is babies who are content with a bronze medal and think second place wins too. Parents try to do too much for them and instead of saying no, they love every minute of it.

rickyb

This is a generation who unfortunately their entire lives were told by parents and teachers that they were all special and were winners no matter what and couldn't fail. The result is babies who are content with a bronze medal and think second place wins too. Parents try to do too much for them and instead of saying no, they love every minute of it.

being told your special and unstoppable is the #1 message of corporate culture. people are brainwashed into believing that whatever they put their mind to, they can do. its all over movies, tv shows like oprah, etc. its so people will solely blame themselves instead of (economic) systems. because once you realize the system is :censored2:ed, then you rise up. and the elites dont want people questioning the system (capitalism) anyways: its worked for very well for them last 200 years (aside from the massive environmental calamity which is going to bite their grandkids in the ass). plus theyve figured out how to control the government.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
being told your special and unstoppable is the #1 message of corporate culture. people are brainwashed into believing that whatever they put their mind to, they can do. its all over movies, tv shows like oprah, etc. its so people will solely blame themselves instead of (economic) systems. because once you realize the system is :censored2:ed, then you rise up. and the elites dont want people questioning the system (capitalism) anyways: its worked for very well for them last 200 years (aside from the massive environmental calamity which is going to bite their grandkids in the ass). plus theyve figured out how to control the government.
So, how's your job search going?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I feel sorry for their future spouses.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I'll add a 4th.

Mom and dad who won't kick their ass to curb and say figure it out.

It's all about the parents not the kids. I mean I am 20 years old but I was raised right, the old school way. Which is what you gotta do these days in order for kids to be independent. I mean America is so liberal and "college educated" that people frown apon giving your kid a spanking? Also it doesn't help that technology is taking over. I will admit it is very hard for a source of income for younger people. I mean I work pt at ups and a second job and my yearly income is less than 25k so the struggle is real. I think this country is obsessed with screens and it is making millions retarded. America is screwed my friends