Very Sad Day in NYC

bowflex

P. S. Myself and many of my black friends are on the side of the police officer but ignorant people like the OP would have to apologize to me with sincerity if I heard that crap coming out of your mouth.

Sportello

P. S. Myself and many of my black friends are on the side of the police officer but ignorant people like the OP would have to apologize to me with sincerity if I heard that crap coming out of your mouth.
Especially when a great deal of what he posts just are out and out lies. No one was chanting the 'dead cops' crap, that was edited by Fox to sound like that. See post #58 in this thread.

This editorial by Kareem Abdul Jabbar puts it nicely:
http://time.com/3643462/kareem-abdul-jabbar-nypd-shootings-police/

and

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...l-jabbar-police-arent-under-attack-racism-is/

At the same time, however, we need to understand that their deaths are in no way related to the massive protests against systemic abuses of the justice system as symbolized by the recent deaths—also national tragedies—of Eric Garner, Akai Gurley, and Michael Brown. Ismaaiyl Brinsley, the suicidal killer, wasn’t an impassioned activist expressing political frustration, he was a troubled man who had shot his girlfriend earlier that same day. He even Instagrammed warnings of his violent intentions. None of this is the behavior of a sane man or rational activist. The protests are no more to blame for his actions than The Catcher in the Rye was for the murder of John Lennon or the movie Taxi Driver for the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan. Crazy has its own twisted logic and it is in no way related to the rational cause-and-effect world the rest of us attempt to create.

Those who are trying to connect the murders of the officers with the thousands of articulate and peaceful protestors across America are being deliberately misleading in a cynical and selfish effort to turn public sentiment against the protestors. This is the same strategy used when trying to lump in the violence and looting with the legitimate protestors, who have disavowed that behavior. They hope to misdirect public attention and emotion in order to stop the protests and the progressive changes that have already resulted. Shaming and blaming is a lot easier than addressing legitimate claims.

oldngray

nowhere special
Especially when a great deal of what he posts just are out and out lies. No one was chanting the 'dead cops' crap, that was edited by Fox to sound like that. See post #58 in this thread.

This editorial by Kareem Abdul Jabbar puts it nicely:
http://time.com/3643462/kareem-abdul-jabbar-nypd-shootings-police/

and

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...l-jabbar-police-arent-under-attack-racism-is/

At the same time, however, we need to understand that their deaths are in no way related to the massive protests against systemic abuses of the justice system as symbolized by the recent deaths—also national tragedies—of Eric Garner, Akai Gurley, and Michael Brown. Ismaaiyl Brinsley, the suicidal killer, wasn’t an impassioned activist expressing political frustration, he was a troubled man who had shot his girlfriend earlier that same day. He even Instagrammed warnings of his violent intentions. None of this is the behavior of a sane man or rational activist. The protests are no more to blame for his actions than The Catcher in the Rye was for the murder of John Lennon or the movie Taxi Driver for the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan. Crazy has its own twisted logic and it is in no way related to the rational cause-and-effect world the rest of us attempt to create.

Those who are trying to connect the murders of the officers with the thousands of articulate and peaceful protestors across America are being deliberately misleading in a cynical and selfish effort to turn public sentiment against the protestors. This is the same strategy used when trying to lump in the violence and looting with the legitimate protestors, who have disavowed that behavior. They hope to misdirect public attention and emotion in order to stop the protests and the progressive changes that have already resulted. Shaming and blaming is a lot easier than addressing legitimate claims.

There WAS a dead cops chant. Even CNN played it in front of Charlie Rangel when he tried to claim it didn't happen. That edited tape was a different situation and a local station (NOT Fox news).

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
There WAS a dead cops chant. Even CNN played it in front of Charlie Rangel when he tried to claim it didn't happen. That edited tape was a different situation and a local station (NOT Fox news).
There was a small group of protesters who broke off from the Millions March NYC protest and chanted for dead cops. Fox News played that clip immediately followed by Sharpton's speech at his "justice for all" march in Chicago, then Tucker Carlson went on to discuss the chant as if it was tied to Sharpton's march in Chicago.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/...olence-speech-to-include-chant-for-dead-cops/

oldngray

nowhere special
There was a small group of protesters who broke off from the Millions March NYC protest and chanted for dead cops. Fox News played that clip immediately followed by Sharpton's speech at his "justice for all" march in Chicago, then Tucker Carlson went on to discuss the chant as if it was tied to Sharpton's march in Chicago.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/...olence-speech-to-include-chant-for-dead-cops/

That article is misleading and attempts to spin what really happened. The editing was a local Baltimore station which happened to be a Fox affiliate. There were other clips played on other news stations that had other recordings calling for dead cops.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
That article is misleading and attempts to spin what really happened. The editing was a local Baltimore station which happened to be a Fox affiliate. There were other clips played on other news stations that had other recordings calling for dead cops.
We're talking about two different broadcasts. The baltimore fox affiliate was blatant, the Fox News merging of two protests in two different cities was much more subtle, and was mostly about trying to tie Al Sharpton to the the chant, even though he was in a different city, and didn't even organize the NYC protest.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
My point is that the dead cops chant did exist.
I don't disagree, there was a small group that chanted that in NYC.
My point is that Fox News played that clip alongside Sharpton in Chicago and discussed them as if they were the same event. They took a few bad apples in NYC and used it to try to undermine the entire concept of the protests against police brutality, because that is what their viewers want to hear.
I'm honestly surprised that small group chanting for dead cops was the worst that came from the HUGE amount of people protesting in NYC:

Sportello

Every large protest attracts ne'er do wells. That doesn't mean the protest is misguided.

If every time there was a racist sign or chant a a Tea Party gathering, should we assume that all Tea Party members are racist?

Read post #86 and the links in it.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Then why aren't you in a position of power to make a difference. Oh yea because you work for ups you ignorant piece of. Hope you educate your children so they can be more than what you have become.
Giuliani On Obama Claim: Al Sharpton The ‘Poster Boy For Hating The Police’

Appearing on “Face The Nation” Sunday, Rudy Giuliani pushed back against The Washington Post’s fact check of his prior claim that President Barack Obama is at the center of a propaganda narrative that “everybody should hate the police.”
Giuliani, who was questioned by CBS’s Major Garrett over his claim, said that Obama’s association with Al Sharpton exhibits to everyone that he is “against the police.’”
“I think you missed one very important point: he has had Al Sharpton to the White House 85 times. Often when he’s talking abut police issues he has Al Sharpton sitting next to him.”
“If he would like to have poster boy for hating the police, it’s Al Sharpton,” Giuliani said, pointedly.
“You make him a close advisor, you’re going to turn the police against you,” the former mayor said. “You’re going to tell the police in America we don’t understand you.”

“I saw this man help cause riots in New York, I’ve heard his anti-police invective first hand. To have a man who hasn’t paid $4 million in taxes, have a man who’s spent his career helping to create riots, phony stories abut police. To have that man sitting next to you speaks volumes,” said Giuliani. “Actions speak louder than words. You put Al Sharpton next to you, you just told everyone I’m against the police.”

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Bowflex's posts # 84 + # 85 seem to be from some very angry person .
But posts nothing under the Jesse Jackson / Al Sharpton Thread .
Which I find as strange .

bowflex

Only angry at one fact. That people talk so much crap about the current POTUS. When George Bush was acting a fool in the white house I never heard a work about it on MySpace, in the bar or at the gym. All of the sudden his name comes up if someone feels they spent too much money on a cup of tea. My advice is raise your children better and they will be in a position of power. As far as my anger goes. I'm grown now so not much I can do when I hear this bs. Back in the day it was easy to keep you people from running off at the mouth. Black people keep choosing the wrong battles and whites keep using the same old excuse. All of you fools need to stop reading the news and deliver some damn packages.

bowflex

Bowflex's posts # 84 + # 85 seem to be from some very angry person .
But posts nothing under the Jesse Jackson / Al Sharpton Thread .
Which I find as strange .
BTW Jackson and sharpton haven't done a thing for or against me so I could care less how they run their mouth. My Facebook was 65% white 20% black and 15 % Hispanic. I had delete 80% of my contacts because current events have shown me how my contacts actually felt. So my anger is simple. Deep down inside these people had no problem until they felt some sort of insecurity.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
BTW Jackson and sharpton haven't done a thing for or against me so I could care less how they run their mouth. My Facebook was 65% white 20% black and 15 % Hispanic. I had delete 80% of my contacts because current events have shown me how my contacts actually felt. So my anger is simple. Deep down inside these people had no problem until they felt some sort of insecurity.

Couldn't care less. What are we insecure about?

We are upset with how the minority community is whining and crying aboht how mean the cops are to them rather than taking responsibility for their actions. THAT'S the annoying part. Blame everybody, except your own stupid selves

bowflex

Couldn't care less. What are we insecure about?

We are upset with how the minority community is whining and crying aboht how mean the cops are to them rather than taking responsibility for their actions. THAT'S the annoying part. Blame everybody, except your own stupid selves
That's my point. I am laughing at it from both ends. Blacks complaining and whites thinking every minority gives a :censored2: about the whole situation. I'm a "minority" and the :censored2: never even comes up around my friends and I. What you see is a small handful of people. Though it may look like a lot on TV it really doesn't represent how the whole community feels. BTW I never thought twice whether OJ was guilty or not. I didn't celebrate when he was found innocent nor did I complain. Humans never cease to amaze me. Pathetic on both ends blacks and whites both need to sit back and take a long look in the mirror. Like a said shut up and deliver my mail fool.

bowflex

One thing that is funny as white complain a lot online but I rarely hear it in person. Twice I over heard the N word at the bar. One time the guy actually apologized and bought me a drink. The other time it was a kkk member and we actually had a quick respectful conversation and we went about or business. At least the one guy had the balls to speak his mind in front of me. So how about the next time you feel the need to complain go up to one of the minorities at your hub and speak your mind to him.