volume

U

ups_vette

Farttimejon:

In order for you, or anyone, to go full time, two things must be present. First, and most important, a full time position must be available. Secondly, the person filling that full time position must have the qualifications and skills required to perform the work.

Over the years I have seen many part timers elect to go to full time driving positions. Most have been sucessful by their willingness to learn the skills required and having the positive attitude needed to succeed.

However,I have also seen partimers who weren't successful. For some it was the ability to learn the methods, while for others it was their "you owe me this job" attitude. Then there were the very few who lacked both the ability to learn the methods and also had the poor attitude, which caused their attitude to worsen and blame the company for their failure.

Not knowing you well enough to determine which cataglory you would fit in, I hesitate to say which, but from your previous posts, I can make an educated guess.

P

parttimejon

maybe some day I could be as positive as you all. but until my bank account looks alittle better and these 150 dollar checks go up dramatically that won't happen Ever tried living off 150 dollars a week until vacation coverage comes back around? Try it maybe you'll see why i'm so pissed all the time

F

feeder

For the last poster: I worked part-time at ups and kept a fulltime job for years before i was promoted to a full-time position at UPS. For you to come on here and complain about your financial problems and blame UPS for your responsiblities to your family is just plain Stupidity!!!

S

smf0605

parttimejon - you're a grown man and you work one part time job?
You shouldn't be pissed off, you should be ashamed of yourself.

U

upsdawg

parttimejon--$150 a week??

When I was going to High School and living at home I was making $150 a week!! I thought that if I could only make $200 a week and buy a house for $20,000 I would be set for life!!! That was in 1973-------I no longer live with my parents!!!

I have known many a part time UPSer who was going to school full time and working 2 part time jobs--until they either finished school or had an opportunity to go full time. I have even known some UPS college grads that have stayed on at UPS because the pay and benefits were better than any job they might have had the chance at with a degree-----what does that tell me???That if you work hard----there is nothing you can "NOT" do!!!

P

parttimejon

upsdawg :When I was going to High School and living at home I was making $150 a week!!

exactly my point upsdawg in 1973 you were making the same thing we make in 2003. Well... maybe ups hasn't heard of inflation. Oh wait....yeah they have i just spotted their rates. Maybe they just don't like us.

D

dannyboy

Hey PT looser

If you spent as much time working as you do feeling sorry for your self........Ah hell, I'm just wasting my time telling you. When will you ever learn, Part time jobs were never meant to be your only income, and were never meant for you to stay in. Get a life, get a job, get real and quit crying.

d

F

feederdryver

ParttimeJon-
I did 10 years parttime in the Hub..I also worked another fulltime job during that time, (that would equal out to 3 part- time jobs I believe).

Ever hear that of that new song by Justin Timberlake, that was written for Brittany Spears ?? I believe it's called...
"Cry me a river"..

P.S.
I hope you have some cheese available for all that whine !

U

upsdude

parttime john.......

Just a hint. My loader leaves at 845-900, drives to another job and works until 4-5 PM. He realized he could generate additional income during the day time! Wow! What a concept!

Guess what? I work a part time job in addition to being a FT driver! I have a serious car addiction, I finance my addiction with extra income and leave the family budget alone. Granted, my part time job is a heck of a lot of fun. I work for NASCAR as an Official on most weekends. Ive never claimed to know everything, but Ill bet you could find another job that would fit into your UPS schedule. Get off your butt and work!

D

dannyboy

I run a business on the side along with being a FT driver. Selling pond plants, ponding supplies, and fish for the ponds. And I try to dabble in the breeding part also. Hell it takes me at least a hour a day just to feed and water the stock that I have. Adding to that I do consulting work for projects that want water in their landscaping( have a 78 acre project ongoing right now). So get off your lazy :censored2: and find your self a job, cause you WONT find any sympathy here!

d

P

parttimejon

now guys... i never said i didn't work another job or have another career. I simply said in a short way of putting it i want to go full time at ups and make more money. No one ever said that the 200 dollars a week i make from ups is all i make. Its just all i make from there.its none of your business what i do outside of ups really. Judging the poor little parttimers again. shame on you

S

smf0605

Ever tried living off 150 dollars a week until vacation coverage comes back around?

Parttimejon ... That's your post. It seems we got the impression that you only work a part-time job from you.

P

proups

varianslapp: this will never happen here. We already have a judge and jury - her name is Cheryl - and she will kick you off this board if you start this type of garbage!

M

my2cents

Geez, after skimming that free speech article, I better put on my tin foil hat.

R

retired

This same story was posted here at least a year ago. Someone is very interested in having a chilling effect on this board.

Could it be someone with a vested interest in strengthening the us versus them mentality of the union? Slink back over to the teamster.net site varianslapp. Now that it is back online you won't have all that time on your hands to try to disrupt this board.

Keep that kind of disinformation on teamster.net where it belongs.

(Message edited by retired on March 29, 2003)

Q

question??

Ok i see all of you saying volume is way down in your centers but in mine fedex screwed up big time and lost a large number of accounts back to us. Im now running peak volume is this happening anywhere else?

D

dannyboy

PTJ

Your right, its none of our business what the heck you do with the other 20 some odd hours in your day. Just dont whine here. For the most part, we all have put in our time, and had to do it the same way you are doing now. It takes time. And if you dont have the time to wait, go elsewhere. Or go out and get more volume, that works too!

d