Voting out Bonus

New Englander

I personally don't begrudge those drivers who wish to skip their lunches/breaks as long as their doing so does not impact my day, such as LLG described above. We have one of those and I am occassionally asked to cover his P/Us and OCAs and I always decline, telling them to assign them to the appropriate driver. This driver has been known to call his P/U accounts on his cell to see if they have anything going and has had some of his P/U accounts assigned to other drivers (including me) because he is way too early. He has also received complaints because he has signed for deliveries or DRed stops that should not have been DRed. Why does he run to get done so early? He has a part-time job ($10K/yr) as youth director for his hometown sports program so we all know John has to get done early to get to his "real" job.

I agree.....I'll help when I have to but I'm not covering pick ups for someone that will be too early due to not taking a lunch. Screw that.

Though if said driver came up to me in the morning and said he needed to get in early AND I thought he would return the favor then yes. If I could.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Though if said driver came up to me in the morning and said he needed to get in early AND I thought he would return the favor then yes. If I could.

As would I if it happened on an occassional basis, which would not be the case with this guy. One of the other city drivers did that just last week, asked me if I could cover his 3 dropboxes as one of his kids had a soccer game and I said sure, no problem. 2 days letter he ran off 3 NDA stops for me.

rocket man

I WORK WITH SOME D Bs they think fla owes them cause the work for this company and we have a dispacther thats un fair and these guys come in at 8 am cry cause they cantget get home early we dont start to 9 am so they bump and cut routes there on belt befor we start wich is not right. its screwed up so the only time i feel like helping is when instructed i come in about 10 min early .most of the time .somtimes i wish i was in a diffrent state or building. or is it all the same id like to no.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I work with some drivers who think Florida owes them because they work for this company. We have a dispatcher who is unfair and these guys come in at 8 am and cry because they can't get home early. We don't start until 9 am so they bump and cut routes right there on the belt before we start, which is not right. It's screwed up, so the only time I feel like helping is when I am instructed to. I usually come in about 10 min early. Sometimes I wish I were in a different state or building. Is it all the same at the other centers? I'd like to know.

Do you have any idea how hard it was to decipher this and then retype it in English?

Anyway, it is not uncommon for the dispatch sup to do add/cuts at the last minute, but these are usually based upon volume discrepancies, not the whining of certain drivers. However, cutting routes at 8 am with a 9 am start time is not common practice, unless the volume is much lower than forecast. It sounds like your dispatch sup needs to grow a set and not give in to the whine asses.

pkg-king

When our building was time studied everyone, except 2 routes out of 50, gained time, some as much as 1 hour. Now most drivers make some bonus, maybe 8-10 drivers run over per day.

tourists24

If a driver follows all the methods (in the name of safety), shouldnt he/she supposedly be running scratch? It would seem to me that bonus is encouraging a driver to take shortcuts that could be very unsafe; and we know UPS doesnt want that

T

TOO COOL

Love the bonus in our center...few days ago took full 1 hour lunch....1.05 under safe driving and everything just ticked right. During peak few years ago 1.88 under that is the best I've ever done.

UPS Lifer

If a driver follows all the methods (in the name of safety), shouldnt he/she supposedly be running scratch? It would seem to me that bonus is encouraging a driver to take shortcuts that could be very unsafe; and we know UPS doesnt want that

Read the bold green in my post above.

If a driver goes more than 1/2 hour under allowed (based on the bold green) there are 2 reasons.

1. Driver is taking short cuts probably sacrificing safety or short cutting the proper walk and park methods or
2. The allowances are in the favor of the driver or out of whack with current conditions.

Overpaid Union Thug

Read the bold green in my post above.

If a driver goes more than 1/2 hour under allowed (based on the bold green) there are 2 reasons.

1. Driver is taking short cuts probably sacrificing safety or short cutting the proper walk and park methods or
2. The allowances are in the favor of the driver or out of whack with current conditions.

Normally that is the case though we have a couple of country routes where it's so easy to run an hour under without working through lunch because when IE was looping in preparation for PAS/EDD they set it up in such a way that a driver with area knowledge can run the routes much faster. They obviously didn't do it on purpose. It's because they are designed (much like city routes) for drivers to drive down each street but when a country road that is miles and miles long only has one stop most drivers will head back in the other direction once that stop is completed. One of those routes will be in the red (that means over dispatched for those of you that don't have PAS/EDD yet) but most drivers will finish the route between 5:00-5:30. On our city routes it's a different story. In most cases anything more than -50 (30 minutes under) means that the driver was either a speed demon all day or worked through some of their lunch. Or both.

Normally that is the case though we have a couple of country routes where it's so easy to run an hour under without working through lunch because when IE was looping in preparation for PAS/EDD they set it up in such a way that a driver with area knowledge can run the routes much faster. They obviously didn't do it on purpose. It's because they are designed (much like city routes) for drivers to drive down each street but when a country road that is miles and miles long only has one stop most drivers will head back in the other direction once that stop is completed. One of those routes will be in the red (that means over dispatched for those of you that don't have PAS/EDD yet) but most drivers will finish the route between 5:00-5:30. On our city routes it's a different story. In most cases anything more than -50 (30 minutes under) means that the driver was either a speed demon all day or worked through some of their lunch. Or both.
That doesn't hold true for our country routes. Most of them (that I run) are just as hard to run scratch on as in town routes. A couple of weeks ago I ran the route I had a bid on previously (was bumped by higher senior driver), I know this area very well. What USED to be a 11 hour day is now right at a 9.5 planned day. Guess what ? IT still takes 11 hours to get it done. I haven't clocked out earlier than 20:00 in three weeks( on two different routes). I'm old and tired.

Why is it that libs have such a problem with Fox.... you have every other news channel reporting your way..... ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN, CSPAN, PBS, CNBC,,,, let it go... One channel isnt going to hurt you

I don't think CNBC is liberal...