Warren Buffet

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Has an interesting Op-ed today:

OUR leaders have asked for “shared sacrifice.” But when they did the asking, they spared me. I checked with my mega-rich friends to learn what pain they were expecting. They, too, were left untouched.

While the poor and middle class fight for us in Afghanistan, and while most Americans struggle to make ends meet, we mega-rich continue to get our extraordinary tax breaks. Some of us are investment managers who earn billions from our daily labors but are allowed to classify our income as “carried interest,” thereby getting a bargain 15 percent tax rate. Others own stock index futures for 10 minutes and have 60 percent of their gain taxed at 15 percent, as if they’d been long-term investors.
These and other blessings are showered upon us by legislators in Washington who feel compelled to protect us, much as if we were spotted owls or some other endangered species. It’s nice to have friends in high places.
Last year my federal tax bill — the income tax I paid, as well as payroll taxes paid by me and on my behalf — was $6,938,744. That sounds like a lot of money. But what I paid was only 17.4 percent of my taxable income — and that’s actually a lower percentage than was paid by any of the other 20 people in our office. Their tax burdens ranged from 33 percent to 41 percent and averaged 36 percent.
If you make money with money, as some of my super-rich friends do, your percentage may be a bit lower than mine. But if you earn money from a job, your percentage will surely exceed mine — most likely by a lot.

More

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Has an interesting Op-ed today:

More

The idea is that since they are not forced by the government to be taxed twice on the money, they shouldn't voluntarily pay tax on previously taxed money.
But Bachman and her family are voluntarily persuing and accepting govt subsidies within the realm of the ones they are so strongly against.

Seems to be a subtle conflict going on there.

The whole idea is that the billionaire crooks will threaten to take their money to Nepal and avoid paying tax.

wkmac

I heard an interview recently with a businessman associated with this organization and he along with many of his fellow businessmen were saying a lot of the same things as Buffet does and more.

brett636

I guess I don't understand it. If he wants the government to have more of his money he can write them a check for more than he owes and the government will in fact cash it. To say the government should force everyone to pay more because he feels he can afford it is puzzling at best.

brett636

The idea is that since they are not forced by the government to be taxed twice on the money, they shouldn't voluntarily pay tax on previously taxed money.
But Bachman and her family are voluntarily persuing and accepting govt subsidies within the realm of the ones they are so strongly against.

Seems to be a subtle conflict going on there.

The whole idea is that the billionaire crooks will threaten to take their money to Nepal and avoid paying tax.

I don't find billionaires to be crooks, and if anyone of them wants to give more money to the federal government they are free to do so. The problem with trying to tax people with lots of wealth is some of them will take their money and go somewhere with lower tax burdens reducing the overall revenue to the government. The state of MD passed a millionaires tax taxing high income earners and the revenue they ended up receiving from the tax was far less than the projected revenue because people with great amounts of wealth are not tied down to one place or even one country and a good number of them chose to leave rather than stay and pay the higher tax.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
First off I would like to point out that Mass. is probably the most liberal state ( imho ) around.
They have had for years given the taxpayers two options for the April 15 tax deadline ; either pay at the regular rate or there is a higher rate for those who wish to pay more.
Every year less than 1% of 1% willingly pay at the higher rate.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't find billionaires to be crooks, and if anyone of them wants to give more money to the federal government they are free to do so. The problem with trying to tax people with lots of wealth is some of them will take their money and go somewhere with lower tax burdens reducing the overall revenue to the government. The state of MD passed a millionaires tax taxing high income earners and the revenue they ended up receiving from the tax was far less than the projected revenue because people with great amounts of wealth are not tied down to one place or even one country and a good number of them chose to leave rather than stay and pay the higher tax.

That's the problem. They'll huff and puff about having to pay higher taxes and threaten to move their money around. No different than Fred S huffing and puffing and threatening not to buy those 17 Boeing aircraft if there was a unionizing effort there, etc etc...it's the same old song and dance. Poor souls.

moreluck

golden ticket member
That's the problem. They'll huff and puff about having to pay higher taxes and threaten to move their money around. No different than Fred S huffing and puffing and threatening not to buy those 17 Boeing aircraft if there was a unionizing effort there, etc etc...it's the same old song and dance. Poor souls.

You do realize that when the rich are taxed heavily....those who make over $20 million (one of the predicted brackets) include the biggest stars in Hollywood,,,,,,Brangelina, Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg, David Geffen, etc......I wonder how much they would then contribute to his re-election??? I think he would lose his Hollywood Angels.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You do realize that when the rich are taxed heavily....those who make over $20 million (one of the predicted brackets) include the biggest stars in Hollywood,,,,,,Brangelina, Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg, David Geffen, etc......I wonder how much they would then contribute to his re-election??? I think he would lose his Hollywood Angels.

All those people you mention are OPENLY willing to pay more in taxes and will continue to support this president all the way to re-election.

Buffet Knows that the richest people in this country are NOT helping the country, but hurting it. He knows that balancing this budget is going to require a combination of tax increases and spending cuts.

Only the republicans believe they can solve the deficit by taking money from the poorest americans and working their way up to the middle class.

peace.

moreluck

golden ticket member
All those people you mention are OPENLY willing to pay more in taxes and will continue to support this president all the way to re-election.

Buffet Knows that the richest people in this country are NOT helping the country, but hurting it. He knows that balancing this budget is going to require a combination of tax increases and spending cuts.

Only the republicans believe they can solve the deficit by taking money from the poorest americans and working their way up to the middle class.

peace.

Check your facts....the poorest Americans pay NO TAXES!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Now that quote displays incredible gullibility. Requires the premise that cutting taxes always spurs growth.
Show me where it says to cut taxes or to spur any growth????????........I just called stars idiots. You try to read too much into things.

bbsam

Staff member
Show me where it says to cut taxes or to spur any growth????????........I just called stars idiots. You try to read too much into things.
Just the past thirty years of trickle-down Reaganomics. Today it is paying homage to the "job creators". As far as idiots, does that also include Buffet?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just the past thirty years of trickle-down Reaganomics. Today it is paying homage to the "job creators". As far as idiots, does that also include Buffet?
Is he a movie person??? (Does not include viewing.)

That's like me saying all skate boarders are jerks and you asking if that includes Harley riders too. Too much!!

brett636

That's the problem. They'll huff and puff about having to pay higher taxes and threaten to move their money around. No different than Fred S huffing and puffing and threatening not to buy those 17 Boeing aircraft if there was a unionizing effort there, etc etc...it's the same old song and dance. Poor souls.[/QUOTE]

When someone has millions or billions of dollars to their name moving is more of a hassle than anything else. Relocating to a different state and or country is not beyond them. Maryland passed a millionaires tax and when the receipts came in they took in significantly less in taxes from the new tax than they expected as a lot of wealthy individuals found it cheaper to move than to pay the tax. I remember reading not too long ago about the state of Illinois considering taxing "wealthy" retirees as a means to increase tax revenue. Now if there is one group of people who can pick up and leave in a heartbeat its people with lots of money and no job/career holding them to their location.

Finally the whole idea of taxing people more to bring down the debt simply isn't a feasible solution. Our politicians are children when it comes to money, and when more money comes in they spend more. You cannot tax away to deficit let alone the national debt because our politicians both democrat and republican cannot help themselves but spend it in hopes of saving their own hides.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Check your facts....the poorest Americans pay NO TAXES!!

Sorry moreluck, your wrong again... (whats new).

The poorest americans PAY PLENTY of taxes. As the deficits grow in each state and SALES TAXES increased, the MOST affected are the POOR. Rich people dont visit the supermarket or department stores more than the poorest of americans, and its those americans who pay the highest price for services. The poor, dont have access to wholesale products or goods like rich people do. The poor, cant buy in bulk like rich people do and the poor dont have the options of traveling to states to avoid taxes.

At the end of the day, the POOR pay the most and get the LEAST out of taxes.

Peace.