we petition the obama administration to:

wkmac

While I don't personally approve of secession, I'm not seeing petitioning for secession as a treasonous act.

If it is, then this country itself was founded on the act of treason. I don't for one minute think these people are going to go through with it. It's nothing but pure protest and it's ill timed because as I said, had Romney won, the very people signing would be singing Hosannas to the great nationstate and genuflecting to Saint Lincoln.

Nimnim

The Nim
If it is, then this country itself was founded on the act of treason. I don't for one minute think these people are going to go through with it. It's nothing but pure protest and it's ill timed because as I said, had Romney won, the very people signing would be singing Hosannas to the great nationstate and genuflecting to Saint Lincoln.

Well I suppose you could say this country was founded on the act of treason. We didn't really ask to form our own country, we said we were going to do it, then fought a war to secure it.

In the unlikely event say Texas said, "We're our own country now, shove off." The US Military would show up and say, "No you're not." A war would break out, and in the even unlikelier situation Texas wins, they'd have done pretty much what the colonies had done, in a very simplified version of history.

wkmac

Well I suppose you could say this country was founded on the act of treason. We didn't really ask to form our own country, we said we were going to do it, then fought a war to secure it.

In the unlikely event say Texas said, "We're our own country now, shove off." The US Military would show up and say, "No you're not." A war would break out, and in the even unlikelier situation Texas wins, they'd have done pretty much what the colonies had done, in a very simplified version of history.

Kind of interesting that you mentioned Texas in your example. There is debate over how Texas became a State and if such status could be reversed. The courts ruled in 1869' against Texas secession and have since refused to hear any case on the matter but then they aren't a dis-interested nor unbias party to the action either. Relief has been sought from International Courts but those court's own rules prohibit non-state parties from bringing an action and thus those working to extract Texas from the United States have no recourse there either.

Interestingly enough Vermont prior to becoming a State was also a republic having declared itself independent of England in 1777'. In 1791' Vermont became the 14th State and the only state at that time which had declared slavery illegal, having done so in 1777' when it emancipated from King George.

Nimnim

The Nim
Kind of interesting that you mentioned Texas in your example. There is debate over how Texas became a State and if such status could be reversed. The courts ruled in 1869' against Texas secession and have since refused to hear any case on the matter but then they aren't a dis-interested nor unbias party to the action either. Relief has been sought from International Courts but those court's own rules prohibit non-state parties from bringing an action and thus those working to extract Texas from the United States have no recourse there either.

Interestingly enough Vermont prior to becoming a State was also a republic having declared itself independent of England in 1777'. In 1791' Vermont became the 14th State and the only state at that time which had declared slavery illegal, having done so in 1777' when it emancipated from King George.

Some information I don't think I ever heard there. Thanks.

Just so you know, the only reason I said Texas was because to my knowledge they're the state that has been getting the most signatures for the petitions and as such probably has the best chance at it succeeding, even if it's still less than a 1% chance.

wkmac

Some information I don't think I ever heard there. Thanks.

Just so you know, the only reason I said Texas was because to my knowledge they're the state that has been getting the most signatures for the petitions and as such probably has the best chance at it succeeding, even if it's still less than a 1% chance.

Just search "Republic of Texas" and even "Vermont Republic" as both are a history worth knowing and you may enjoy it as well. Vermont Republic had it's own money which was made of copper and called the "Vermont Copper." I find it of interest since this went against the prevailing idea of gold and silver money only. It was also coined by a private mint owned by Reuben Harmon Jr. who posted a bond for the privilege of doing so. And from all I can tell, it seems to have worked well which has me even more interested in how and what the details were.

Duke University's Professor Emeritus of Economics Thomas Naylor is a leading voice in the current movement of the Second Vermont Republic and of the over 1 dozen books he has authored, 3 are on the subject and advocate secession. I've always wanted to ask him or hear him talk about the Vermont Copper and the economics that surrounded it. Professor Naylor opposes "monetized debt as money" form of monetary system so I'd like to hear what he has to say about this form of specie monetary system.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll

Keith, I'm pretty sure that the King considered the Colonists traitors to the Crown. If someone wants to sign, they are free to, but they cannot be considered loyal Americans after that.

wkmac

Keith, I'm pretty sure that the King considered the Colonists traitors to the Crown. If someone wants to sign, they are free to, but they cannot be considered loyal Americans after that.

I'm not a loyal American. I refuse to pledge allegiance and and turn my back to the national anthem. I have no problem with your conclusion. now do you round up all the folks like myself and crank up the ovens?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm not a loyal American. I refuse to pledge allegiance and and turn my back to the national anthem. I have no problem with your conclusion. now do you round up all the folks like myself and crank up the ovens?
That's hardcore bro, your family must love going to the ball game with you :happy-very:

wkmac

That's hardcore bro, your family must love going to the ball game with you :happy-very:

I'm starting to notice more people doing other things too. I guess you just do something so much and over time it just begins to loose it's luster.

Nimnim

The Nim
Try holding a security clearance and signing one of those petitions. Then see how long you still have a job.

It's safe to assume that if you're signing one of those petitions you're probably ready to get a new job. After all if the secession is successful you'd not likely be a citizen of the US but of the new country formed. It's silly to have security clearances for a country you're not a citizen of.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's safe to assume that if you're signing one of those petitions you're probably ready to get a new job. After all if the secession is successful you'd not likely be a citizen of the US but of the new country formed. It's silly to have security clearances for a country you're not a citizen of.
I think you're giving most of the folks who are signing these petitions way too much credit in regards to actually thinking it through.

Nimnim

The Nim
I think you're giving most of the folks who are signing these petitions way too much credit in regards to actually thinking it through.

I would hope someone who has been given security clearances would think something like this through, else I'm giving too much credit to our government for bestowing such clearances.

trickpony1

But you hang around and enjoy the benefits of being an American?
Soldiers have died so you could have the freedom to not like being an American.
The invitation is still open for you to move to another country........