Welcome to teamcare

I have never said I had a problem with my wages or the health care I've earned. You people carrying Hoffa's water are missing the point completely.

Every time our contract comes up for renewal, UPS throws money at us, knowing full well that the money will get the union and the less aware members to vote yes and ignore the way they chip away at the real important things in the contract. Like subcontracting, discipline and harassment. We have members under the same umbrella that have completely different benefits. No one seems to care about that stuff. And that is the stuff that will eventually ruin us.

I don't know if you guys realize it or not, but our union ship is leaking. The amount of people voting on this contract was at a record low. It's not hard to see why. The union has no presence at work. And we wonder why part-timers don't vote? At the last union meeting, I was talking to a driver who was saying that another driver with almost 15 years of seniority asked him why he got a duplicate ballot in the mail. The first driver questioned him about this ballot. He asked him if he was referring to the supplement ballot. The second driver looked confused and asked the first, "What's the supplement?"

You can laugh or get mad, but the fact is, if you don't make a major effort to get your questions asked, no one will give you answers. Now, this is a two-way street, and members need to get stepping for themselves, but the union has a huge obligation to the members. And that is definitely not happening. We had two or three days where the union stood outside our gates and passed out flyers about this contract. And we wonder why the turnout was so bad?

The bottom line is the existing members of Teamcare will NEVER go up to the benefits the incoming members. As someone said earlier here, the superior benefits the incoming members receive will drop down to our levels.

UPS is not stupid in these negotiations. They are like an alligator waiting in the shallows on us. As the votes get fewer and fewer, like they are now, the contract offers will get worse and worse. UPS knows this. They rely on the Hoffa chicken hawks to tell everyone how awesome the contract offers are, and to make us feel guilty about what we earn here. Like 407 said earlier, with 100K salary and 40K benefits, you should just shut up and vote yes. Who cares if UPS extends the temporary periods and increases subcontracting? Who cares if they give away our work to people who work for peanuts...we get 100K in pay and 40K in benefits, right?

I feel bad for guys with only ten years seniority. I just can't see how it ends well for those people. I've only got this contract and the next. And I bury my checks into my own savings, assuming the pension will be gone when my ticket gets punched. The company knows what it is doing. They know the union is weak, and that Hoffa will never strike them. And the boat keeps on leaking. And you Hoffa guys telling us how regal this contract won't know it until all of the lifeboats are already full.
Well said brother!! Well said!!

IzzyTheNose

yea brother. This year alone I'm getting screwed by the some of about 100k with 40k in benefits. I think I'm going to go feel sorry for myself now.

lol at this garbage. If we were all making $100k a year, the amount of people complaining about the increase in out-of-pocket expenses would be substantially lower. Not everyone is in the same boat, genius.

C

chuchu

I wonder what the union's and companies options are now when there are locals that will vote for nothing other than what they want?

To all the no voters...it takes a lot of hubris in this economy with the your competitors in the industry not getting anything like the offer made to you and still cross your arms and say no. Do you know how many people outside the fence who would take that offer and throw you under the bus for it?

​My my my.
I've never seen any of our "competitors" work as hard as we do either.

I have never said I had a problem with my wages or the health care I've earned. You people carrying Hoffa's water are missing the point completely.

Every time our contract comes up for renewal, UPS throws money at us, knowing full well that the money will get the union and the less aware members to vote yes and ignore the way they chip away at the real important things in the contract. Like subcontracting, discipline and harassment. We have members under the same umbrella that have completely different benefits. No one seems to care about that stuff. And that is the stuff that will eventually ruin us.

I don't know if you guys realize it or not, but our union ship is leaking. The amount of people voting on this contract was at a record low. It's not hard to see why. The union has no presence at work. And we wonder why part-timers don't vote? At the last union meeting, I was talking to a driver who was saying that another driver with almost 15 years of seniority asked him why he got a duplicate ballot in the mail. The first driver questioned him about this ballot. He asked him if he was referring to the supplement ballot. The second driver looked confused and asked the first, "What's the supplement?"

You can laugh or get mad, but the fact is, if you don't make a major effort to get your questions asked, no one will give you answers. Now, this is a two-way street, and members need to get stepping for themselves, but the union has a huge obligation to the members. And that is definitely not happening. We had two or three days where the union stood outside our gates and passed out flyers about this contract. And we wonder why the turnout was so bad?

The bottom line is the existing members of Teamcare will NEVER go up to the benefits the incoming members. As someone said earlier here, the superior benefits the incoming members receive will drop down to our levels.

UPS is not stupid in these negotiations. They are like an alligator waiting in the shallows on us. As the votes get fewer and fewer, like they are now, the contract offers will get worse and worse. UPS knows this. They rely on the Hoffa chicken hawks to tell everyone how awesome the contract offers are, and to make us feel guilty about what we earn here. Like 407 said earlier, with 100K salary and 40K benefits, you should just shut up and vote yes. Who cares if UPS extends the temporary periods and increases subcontracting? Who cares if they give away our work to people who work for peanuts...we get 100K in pay and 40K in benefits, right?

I feel bad for guys with only ten years seniority. I just can't see how it ends well for those people. I've only got this contract and the next. And I bury my checks into my own savings, assuming the pension will be gone when my ticket gets punched. The company knows what it is doing. They know the union is weak, and that Hoffa will never strike them. And the boat keeps on leaking. And you Hoffa guys telling us how regal this contract won't know it until all of the lifeboats are already full.
I guess what I don't understand is how you and others can be so upset when you have healthcare that's better than 95% of this country??? Help me to understand please.

I guess what I don't understand is how you and others can be so upset when you have healthcare that's better than 95% of this country??? Help me to understand please.

Because it is 10 steps backwards from what we have now! I bust my stones too hard for givebacks to a money whore company that friend n hates our guts.............see the movie 300m? we are about to make part two......

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's like drinking the best beer in the friend'n world ...then being handed a corona. Just because the other 95% is drinking budweiser, doesn't make that corona taste any better. I can't explain it any clearer than that. Bear in mind, the sweat and blood we shed to get that original beer....

Last edited:

alwaysoverallowed

I didn't vote no because the healthcare was bad I voted no because after the 3rd year of the contract we earn less then the 2008 contract which I believe was less the the 2003 contract. Also the 9.5
language was weaken after the ratification of the 2008 contract by the 9.5 committee and now it's back up to snuff
with the language of the 2003 contract
and we are supposed to believe its an improvement. What I would have like to have seen was language that said that for every 7 drivers over an 9.5 hour day all those affected regardless of loop would be paid penalty pay.
I understand UPS needs to make money by cutting routes but I hate missing my kids first steps, words, andgraduation because of their greed. UPS, and this country, has lost focus of the work family balance. Our union should be fighting for this like our predicious' drought for a 40 hr work weak. Hoffa dropped then ball on this. We all don't mind working to keep the company afloat but when we a sacrifice so much for the shareholders and their dividends we need to take a stand. Joe blow stockholder gets to see his family if he wand why can't i?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Again, you're missing the point. You've heard the quote, "Nature abhors a vacuum"? Every empty space gets filled.

Look, I get it. We have better health coverage than most people outside of government workers. So, are we ready to go point by point, in everything we earn against the rest of Americans? Should we compare ourselves with Americans who work 9 to 5? Should our jobs, and the work we do, be compared to Americans who work behind a fast-food counter? Hell, let's go all of the way with your argument and put all Americans in one pile, and say why should Americans have better health care than third world people? The point is, we begin losing, and give up every single right we've ever earned when we compare ourselves to people outside our walls.

When you say, "We've got it better than everyone else," UPS fills the vacuum with job cuts, contract blood letting and subcontracting. That's not my opinion, that's fact, brother. The more you, and more importantly, Jr. Hoffa compares us to people outside UPS, we automatically get undercut, and lose our balance. And that will ultimately kill this union.

It's not about the money. IT IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!

If UPS would've offered to freeze our wages in exchange for eliminating subcontracting and guaranteeing a future for the people who have built this company, we would've been ignorant to refuse that offer. Unfortunately, unlike our union, UPS has the advantage of the long view. They seem to understand that pecking away at the base of our wall, will, in time, topple us. That wouldn't be that big of a deal if we had an intelligent defense against it. But we don't. Our union leadership, instead, brags about how high they are building the wall, completely oblivious to the base that is starting to crumble.

So, 407, to answer your question, when the incoming members of Teamcare take cuts to merge in, and the existing members get less than the newbies, all to merge together, no one is happy. It's not about what we have or get. It's that we forgo the long view. It's that we all get rolled into one, under one roof, with different rules for everyone. When Al Nelson of Teamcare came to our union hall to attempt to sell us on this, he tried to say that for this contract, they just wanted everyone under one contract. And in the next contract, he said we could work on leveling out the benefits for everyone.

No offense to Al Nelson, but if he thinks we are so naive to believe UPS will 'level everything out' upwards, he is horribly mistaken. Then again, this contract is on the verge of being finalized, so maybe I'm the idiot.

Either way, our union is racing down the highway, and we're only looking a few feet in front of our bumper. We're going to crash eventually. And when we do, UPS will be there to fill the vacuum.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

You are either spot on or dead wrong. Depends on which side of the fence you chose to sit.