We're Americans

av8torntn

My Sisters and I were both Family's first born here in the US in my family. Are we "Americans"?

I guess the obvious questions.

1) What does that have to do with that speech or this thread?
2) Why are you asking me?
3) Why would I even care?
4) What?
5) Who would really care besides you since it's obvious you care since you framed the question?

This really blows me away that one would take a speech about a navy corpsman helping others and try to turn it into something about themselves. You must be one arrogant soul.

av8torntn

Ok that may have been harsh. My apologies. Maybe English is not your first language? Maybe we're American and that's what we do translates into something else in your native tongue? Anyhow good luck to you and your sister. I wish you guys the best. I do not think that he was giving any implication that the only way to be an American is to be a Navy corpsman in combat. That is just my opinion. Worth nothing.

Possibly you could ask some friends or relatives if they think you are an American it really does not validate anything for you to ask some stranger on the Internet that question. Just comes across as very strange to me.

My answer to your original question is I do not care. Hope that helps you out and satisfies your curiosity. And so it goes.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think if you live here and pay taxes, you're in the club. That's just my opinion, and I don't particularly care what anyone else thinks.
I thought the video was meant as a tribute to the young men and women who serve in the armed forces, I didn't take it as exclusionary.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Living here and paying taxes is tangible......Also need a fierce loyalty and abiding love of your country....not so tangible, but absolutely necessary to be an American.

rod

Retired 22 years
Tribute to the Patriot Guard Riders

Probably one of the most fulfilling things I have ever gotten envolved with. You don't have to ride a motorcycle or be a veteran to join. All around just great bunch of people. Check them out at PatriotGuard.org. Yesterday, in the morning, we placed 850 Christmas wreaths at our local VA cemetery and then last night we served 400 Christmas dinners to the troops at their Christmas party at the local Armory. The primeroast dinner was great.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
YouTube- Tribute to the Patriot Guard Riders

Probably one of the most fulfilling things I have ever gotten envolved with. You don't have to ride a motorcycle or be a veteran to join. All around just great bunch of people. Check them out at PatriotGuard.org. Yesterday, in the morning, we placed 850 Christmas wreaths at our local VA cemetery and then last night we served 400 Christmas dinners to the troops at their Christmas party at the local Armory. The primeroast dinner was great.

Those guys from Westboro Baptist Church are some serious freaks. Several states have now passed ordinances preventing them from protesting at funerals.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Rod, we had the "pleasure" of a visit from Fred Phelps and his inbred clan in our town. We had a gay mayor and Fred didn't think that was right. He brought about 20 of his followers with him and it was quite a scene. He then came back because the local high school was putting on a play that had gay undertones. This time he only had a handful with him and they left almost as quickly as they had arrived.

I didn't watch the video but the signs were the same ones he used here.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
This may seem picky, but it always bothers me when US citizens call themselves Americans, yes we are, but so are Canadians, Hondurans, Mexicans, Guatemalans, Peruvians, Bolivians etc. We are specifically US citizens living in North America. Too bad there isn't another word, maybe USians?

rod

Retired 22 years
Actual protested funnerals are rare. I myself am lucky enough to say I've never had to witness one. Since joining the Patriot Guard last spring I've attended about 15 funerals for Veterans in our area at the request of the familys. We NEVER show up at a funeral or any other function unless invited. My local sector which encludes an area about 50 miles by 50 miles as over 350 members which isn't bad concidering the largest town is about 12,000 pop.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This may seem picky, but it always bothers me when US citizens call themselves Americans, yes we are, but so are Canadians, Hondurans, Mexicans, Guatemalans, Peruvians, Bolivians etc. We are specifically US citizens living in North America. Too bad there isn't another word, maybe USians?

I guess we call ourselves Americans as it is more polite than what people from other countries call us.:wink2:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
U.S. taxpayers gets my vote.

tieguy

Banned
YouTube- Tribute to the Patriot Guard Riders

The thread getting jacked in a different direction. First time I've heard anything about the Patriot Guard. Looks like a great organization.

wkmac

U.S. taxpayers gets my vote.

I kinda like individual myself!

:wink2:

I've always found it interesting that the Preamble reads like this:

"The United States Citizenry in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility..........."

Your Constitution doesn't read like that? Really? How interesting!

wkmac

GODDESS works for moi!!

More,

When I read your quote I thought of the infamous Snow White "Mirror, Mirror on the Wall" so just for schitts and giggles I typed that into googles images just to see what popped up. Can't resist sharing the laugh!

:happy-very:

And sorry for the momentary thread hijack for humor!

Back to regular programming, whatever that is.