What are my options when management starts cutting my route? Atlantic supplement

dqs95124

Re: What are my options when management starts cutting my route? Atlantic supplemen

we all do it in our center. Some of us get paid some not.. The union does't say anything. Mangement is happy. there has to be 20 of us on the belt loading our own cars. I know what you say.. bUT 13YRS we all do it. preload sucks. Can they not put boxes in front of the bulkhead door?? Or stack rez in the middle of the truck.. They have tried but fail all the time.. I have family need to get home.. I give a away 2 hrs a day. just to have a decent day.. I told the other half, when I get my own rt. For the first 8 mo's I will be out 12 hrs and not loading my own truck.. Until that happens different rt differtent city every day..

onehandsolo

Re: What are my options when management starts cutting my route? Atlantic supplemen

The next time this happens my plan is to come into work and bump a coverage driver... This is what the other drivers with bid routes that were cut have been doing.. Thanx for the help.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Bump whoever you have to. I doubt UPS wants to pay full time drivers to sort a belt.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

The next time this happens my plan is to come into work and bump a coverage driver... This is what the other drivers with bid routes that were cut have been doing.. Thanx for the help.
You can bump any junior driver in your center, doesn't have to be a cover driver.

dcdriver

nations capital

You can bump any junior driver in your center, doesn't have to be a cover driver.

Amen. Happen to me once. I bumped a junior driver of my choice. Iam in the top 5 with senoirity. Found the heaviest route that day and took it out. Had no idea where to start. Missed over 150 packages that day. My route was never broken out again. I do get a split every now and than, which is no problem.

Last edited:

packageguy

Amen. Happen to me once. I bumped a junior driver of my choice. Iam in the top 5 with senoirity. Found the heaviest route that day and took it out. Had no idea where to start. Missed over 150 packages that day. My route was never broken out again. I do get a split every now and than, which is no problem.

That great to hear, you did what you had to do, I hope it's still working out for you.

packagemandan

As I have seen in other posts it is happening nationally and is happening in South Florida..it's sad that after twenty years the company thanks you by cutting the route of a vet. and sending other driver out with 10,11 and 12 hours days for the sake of profits...that's what you get when you bring an outside CEO in that doesn't care about who really made the company successful...you and I. Your rights here is to displace the lesser senior employee in the same classification.

Jones, I'm not sure that's accurate. I grieved it and was told the language you are refering to only applies when an area is permanently eliminated(route is out for 30 days). In our building(also under the Atlantic supp.), when a route is cut for the day, the driver becomes a cover driver. Their seniority falls in with the other cover drivers. They cannot bump anyone off a bid route including cover drivers who have bid a route for the week. The exception to this is when the driver whose route is out for the day has more seniority than some one working, seniority always prevails and that driver will work. In this case, I have to get involved and get it sorted out. This may be something worked out by our local because I can't find this in the contract.I agree it would be a lot simpler if it went bump anyone junior, bump anyone junior, and then the least senior person gets bumped.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Jones, I'm not sure that's accurate. I grieved it and was told the language you are refering to only applies when an area is permanently eliminated(route is out for 30 days). In our building(also under the Atlantic supp.), when a route is cut for the day, the driver becomes a cover driver. Their seniority falls in with the other cover drivers. They cannot bump anyone off a bid route including cover drivers who have bid a route for the week. The exception to this is when the driver whose route is out for the day has more seniority than some one working, seniority always prevails and that driver will work. In this case, I have to get involved and get it sorted out. This may be something worked out by our local because I can't find this in the contract.I agree it would be a lot simpler if it went bump anyone junior, bump anyone junior, and then the least senior person gets bumped.
All I can tell you is that nowhere in that language does it say that the route has to be permanently eliminated for it to apply, and that's the way we do it here. dcdriver is in a different building and apparently they do it the same way we do. I'm in Virginia, and I think dcdriver is in Maryland.

dqs95124

dude there is no Cover driver. We are all drivers's period.... You got sucked into the this crap tooooo.. Come on

247spies

These grievances have been looked over where we are routes in your loop are where you look for one. If you cannot follow 50% of your work you can choose any route in your loop where you have more seniority than the other driver of that car. Yes that guy loses their route and can move on and do the same. this also is an issue with older drivers and if you are on the nine five. Expect another class action on this discrimination at some point. Although some complain . That you are taking days off they are cutting You route no matter if you come in you'll be entitled to work just not on your route. Take any day you can off that you can afford.