What are you looking forward to when you retire?

W

What The Hawk?

Hi guys, I just want to ask out of interest what you guys look forward to when you retire? My dad is 61 and is going to be retiring after 41 years with the water department, and I would like some ideas as to how I can help him stay busy so he doesn't become lazy. He had a stroke about five years ago and I just want to find some ways to help him so he doesn't fall into bad habits again. I know some of you are retired, or retiring soon and some of you have a couple years to go. My mother retired to be my brother's caregiver but when he passed away she just doesn't do anything really. But please share anything that you guys plan on doing, here's your opportunity to share what you want to do with your retirement I would love to hear stories or ideas...

TL;DR my dad is retiring soon and I would like some ideas to help him stay busy in his retirement.

Thank you for reading..:)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My wife and I are both pretty active, we like to train and workout pretty much 7 days a week but combined with a job that takes up 50-55 hours a week it doesn't leave time for much else and most weekends I'm pretty wiped out. I'm looking forward to being able to do my thing and get 8 hours sleep a night (which basically never happens now) and be able to do other fun stuff like visit museums, go to shows, etc. None of this probably applies to your dad's situation but hey, you asked :wink2:.
Got about 3 more years and I'm outta this hell hole.

W

What The Hawk?

My wife and I are both pretty active, we like to train and workout pretty much 7 days a week but combined with a job that takes up 50-55 hours a week it doesn't leave time for much else and most weekends I'm pretty wiped out. I'm looking forward to being able to do my thing and get 8 hours sleep a night (which basically never happens now) and be able to do other fun stuff like visit museums, go to shows, etc. None of this probably applies to your dad's situation but hey, you asked :wink2:.
Got about 3 more years and I'm outta this hell hole.
My dad is a pretty active guy. My dad gets up at four in the morning comes home at 6 PM and then works out. He eats healthy now and does everything he's supposed to do and he loves to garden. My mom is the complete opposite. LOL she doesn't care about herself at all as far as her health goes, does not exercise, eats absolute crap. I just want my dad to have the best retirement he possibly can because I don't want him to be like my mother.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
The one thing I am really looking forward to when I finally hang up the browns is finally being able to enjoy the Christmas season.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I know what I'll be looking forward to. Never setting an alarm so I can simply sleep and wake as needed. Taking long walks at the most leisurely pace imaginable. Catch up on reading things I've never found the time to now. And that's not including all the sailing and anything else I damn well please.

Indecisi0n

I know what I'll be looking forward to. Never setting an alarm so I can simply sleep and wake as needed. Taking long walks at the most leisurely pace imaginable. Catch up on reading things I've never found the time to now. And that's not including all the sailing and anything else I damn well please.
Sweep me off my feet.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Hi guys, I just want to ask out of interest what you guys look forward to when you retire? My dad is 61 and is going to be retiring after 41 years with the water department, and I would like some ideas as to how I can help him stay busy so he doesn't become lazy. He had a stroke about five years ago and I just want to find some ways to help him so he doesn't fall into bad habits again. I know some of you are retired, or retiring soon and some of you have a couple years to go. My mother retired to be my brother's caregiver but when he passed away she just doesn't do anything really. But please share anything that you guys plan on doing, here's your opportunity to share what you want to do with your retirement I would love to hear stories or ideas...

TL;DR my dad is retiring soon and I would like some ideas to help him stay busy in his retirement.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

If he doesn't want to stay busy he won't.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I never was much of an organized person. While working , your life and everything you did and got done, spun off of when you had to be at work and when you were going to get off work that day , coupled with the raising 3 kid schedule. Out of control organization. Yeah , had the weekends , but on Saturday , you caught up with around the house chores your neighbors seemed to somehow get done during the week because they had normal hours. Sunday was church. When I retired, I was given something I hadn't had since I was 12-14 years old . Time . I do go to bed when I want and get up when I want , eat healthy , and exercise . My wife is very healthy ( marathon runner ) and keeps me focused on those things. Daily bike rides , walks on beach , etc . But , having time made me realize that it can be wasted . I know " wasted time " is subject to how you define it but to give you a clue of what I think wasted time is , I don't have a TV and have never bought one ( neighbors and friends is where I watch all sports..let them pay the cable bill ). But , for me , even though you have got the whole day to do what ever you want , what I found out was if I don't have some kind of "plan" , I look up and its late evening and I didn't use the time I was given. "Doing nothing " , I know is something , but like everything else , that gets old pretty fast. Making a plan for the day no matter what that plan may involve , helped me enjoy the day.

W

What The Hawk?

I never was much of an organized person. While working , your life and everything you did and got done, spun off of when you had to be at work and when you were going to get off work that day , coupled with the raising 3 kid schedule. Out of control organization. Yeah , had the weekends , but on Saturday , you caught up with around the house chores your neighbors seemed to somehow get done during the week because they had normal hours. Sunday was church. When I retired, I was given something I hadn't had since I was 12-14 years old . Time . I do go to bed when I want and get up when I want , eat healthy , and exercise . My wife is very healthy ( marathon runner ) and keeps me focused on those things. Daily bike rides , walks on beach , etc . But , having time made me realize that it can be wasted . I know " wasted time " is subject to how you define it but to give you a clue of what I think wasted time is , I don't have a TV and have never bought one ( neighbors and friends is where I watch all sports..let them pay the cable bill ). But , for me , even though you have got the whole day to do what ever you want , what I found out was if I don't have some kind of "plan" , I look up and its late evening and I didn't use the time I was given. "Doing nothing " , I know is something , but like everything else , that gets old pretty fast. Making a plan for the day no matter what that plan may involve , helped me enjoy the day.
That's my dad. Lol he doesn't like the neighbors too much though..