what do part timers want in 2013

brown_trousers

I didn't say that you did... I said that in addition to pay UPS give PT great benny's. There are PT that make over $20 hr.

Your saying that UPS driver are overpaid I didn't.... I don't care what Fed Ex, or DHL drivers or there PTimers make if they unionized maybe they would make more.....

I think drivers are paid a fair wage, you are the one implying we should be comparing our wages and benefits to other jobs

UPSGUY72

I think drivers are paid a fair wage, you are the one implying we should be comparing our wages and benefits other jobs

I never said we don't make enough or to much.... I did say that if people are complaining that the grass isn't green enough as a PT'er maybe they should see how green it is at other PT jobs....

upsman2940

Maybe upstate and all these bleeding hearts should hand over some of their own checks to the preloaders. I worked at the same jobs ,at the same pay, for years till I hired full time. Part time isn't a career and who cares how hard it is. If the goal is not to work full time at ups then you are at the wrong place. Pay your dues like everyone else b4 u did. you will be rewarded but the mentality that you deserve x because it's unfair someone makes more makes me wanna hurl!

UPSGUY72

Maybe upstate and all these bleeding hearts should hand over some of their own checks to the preloaders. I worked at the same jobs ,at the same pay, for years till I hired full time. Part time isn't a career and who cares how hard it is. If the goal is not to work full time at ups then you are at the wrong place. Pay your dues like everyone else b4 u did. you will be rewarded but the mentality that you deserve x because it's unfair someone makes more makes me wanna hurl!

They younger generation think they are entitled... They don't think that have to work for it or earn it they just want it to start... It starts in school when they started social promoting students...whether or not they learned anything they where suppose to....

curiousbrain

They younger generation think they are entitled... They don't think that have to work for it or earn it they just want it to start... It starts in school when they started social promoting students...whether or not they learned anything they where suppose to....

Yes, the lack of work ethic among young folk is related to "social promotion" in the education system; it could, in no way, be related to the fact that they are ... I don't know ... young? But, hell, what do I know, I'm still young.

UPSGUY72

Yes, the lack of work ethic among young folk is related to "social promotion" in the education system; it could, in no way, be related to the fact that they are ... I don't know ... young? But, hell, what do I know, I'm still young.

It does because when I was in school you didn't get socially promoted to the next grade you got to repeat the grade that you failed. In other words you learn the hard way that you not entitled.... to things unless you earn them....

The same thing with getting a job if you want to make the big bucka to start off you going to need to go to college or start your own business otherwise you need to earn it overtime or have your parent give it to you.....

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I started PT @ UPS in my earley 40's and I am now north of 57.From my prospective the job pay and benefits are great as a suppliment to my other job.All brought to you by the IBT of course.Purley from a selfish point of view let's add to the PT pension!!!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I suggest that if someone is really unhappy about how much they make as a PTimer starting out at UPS maybe they should look around at other unskilled PT jobs and see what they start you out as, what benefits they supply at what cost to you and what your chance for advancement are.... Good luck.

Sums it up quite nicely.

Stewie is spot on. The job should be a supplement to what else you do.... Not a sole means of support.

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would be the same as saying I don't want a pension so just pay me more.... No one would have a pension and no one would have health insurance whether they choose it or not.

I am talking strictly about the PTers for whom this is a just a job. If I were in college and working at UPS part-time I would much rather have $15/hr and no benefits as opposed to $10/hr and benefits that I would never use. The pension would not concern me.

Defined pension plans are slowly being replaced by 401k's or other such retirement investment options. I would much rather have the money dedicated to my pension be given to me so that I can invest it as I choose. This is not to say that defined pension plans are bad; in fact, they are ideal for the majority of unionized hourly workers. You work 30 years and you will get x amount of dollars when you retire. No effort involved.

beentheredonethat

It would be the same as saying I don't want a pension so just pay me more.... No one would have a pension and no one would have health insurance whether they choose it or not.

For many PT'ers esp college students, they are already covered by their parents insurance. The money going to thier HW is not used by these PT'ers. This goes strictly to line the pocket of the teamsters. Similarly, the vast majority of PT'ers don't stay and make a career. If they leave before 5 years they are not vested and get nothing. (Note: my knowledge is from the New England Plans for Insurance and Pension).

UPSGUY72

For many PT'ers esp college students, they are already covered by their parents insurance. The money going to thier HW is not used by these PT'ers. This goes strictly to line the pocket of the teamsters. Similarly, the vast majority of PT'ers don't stay and make a career. If they leave before 5 years they are not vested and get nothing. (Note: my knowledge is from the New England Plans for Insurance and Pension).

The money doesn't go to the teamster... It goes to the Health insurance fund or pension fund... Weather you choose to use it or not is up to you but just because you don't use doesn't mean the teamster get it. It funds the health and or pension funds.

I use to work at a paper mill that would pay me not to be on there health insurance however I have to provide proof that I was cover under another health insurance plan each year or I would not get paid... Yes a lot of PT can be cover under there parent plan IF there parent want to keep them on it....

flextime

I think if u work pt for ups over 5 years your pay rate should go to 22hr kinda like what 22.3 employee's make or maybe be able to transfer to another building where there is only a 2 year wait to go full time. Ups brought overnight and TNT so why can't pt people get a chase to fill some position at these companies or no split raises for part time