What do you want in 2013 contract ?

Logb17

Better paid days......................... ( 8-9 hrs instead of 9-10 hrs OR LONGER ! ) - agree
Better plans to ask for day off ...... ( VERY hard to get day off in my hub ) - agree
Better 9.5 plan ........................... ( current 9.5 plan sucks ) - agree
Less Harassment .........................( UPS hates us ) - do your job...its not hate....
Better benifits/retirement............ ( I am 41 with 24 yrs , so I can not retire early ) - get real....if you can find a job with better benefits and retirement....go work there
Better sick days ......................... ( maybe have 2 weeks option instead of 1 week ) - how many sick days do you need? sick days...not I dont want to come to work days....grow up....
Less Use of telematics.................. ( talk to , NO waring letters ) ...do your job...what are you afraid of?
small raise.................................. ( everyone needs cash ) more money means UPS will expect more fromyou.....
maybe get paid in stock options ?... ( if no raise , GIVE ME STOCK ) - why
overall better working condtions ....( go back in the past , UPS was a PERFECT , GREAT job 10 yrs ago !!!!!! ) - agree

Agree 100% pay is good. Pension is great. Benefits outstanding. What other company do you get 6+ weeks off, at 45 hours pay at that.

Sometimes the stress and long hours make it not worth. What's the point of all the benefit if your unhappy 5 and a half days of the week. Ups owns your life 5 days of the week.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
i was a p/t air driver for about 6 years.. The job dont exist in my area anymore.. In the 4 hubs in my area they have cut out almost all of the air drivers... **its not the artice 22 jobs that did it either!!
The company has decided to start a few friend/t trips later (10.30 am) do a bunch of deliveries and then the air drivers job of picking up letter boxes , on calls, and some air pick ups!!
I bidded one of these trips and they are basically a nightmare!!
Assuming you don't mind working a slightly different shift (start later, work later), at least in my building I think these are some of the best routes around.

article22

Banned
Assuming you don't mind working a slightly different shift (start later, work later), at least in my building I think these are some of the best routes around.

it started out as the best trip ever...they sold them to us as "ohhhh you will do your 110 stops and then youll have plenty of time to do your on call and air express stops..."
as we took days off they would have a runner cover the trip and we would have more stops because of the runner!!
it took forever to get it back down to 110 stops! they had the runner up to 140/150 dumb bonus babies!!

kuff

Do away with Surepost. We should be delivering all our own packages.
One raise on August 1st like we had for years.
$1.00 an hour raise every year of the contract.(The company is making record profits and its the drivers that make Money for this Company Not the CEO that gets paid millions a year.)
$1.00 an hour increase in our Retirement.
Maintain our current Medical. Without having to pay a monthly premium.

GolfCart

where were u at 10 yrs ago??... great perfect job??
i was at a small hub where you could do your job and go home , now I am at a huge hub where you leave late everyday , and you always have to help someone at night .10 years ago , No tellimatics , no gps , just do your job , go home .

What'dyabringmetoday???

1. Actually follow the language in the contract.
2. Dumb down the language in the contract so as to avoid these "grey areas" that always surface.
3. Actually follow the language in the contract.
4. Seniority- actually implement seniority language in which senior employees are working ahead of junior employees.
5. All driving work done by full-time employees. When no work for said employees, they would exercise seniority rights (see 4) rather than the present model of part-timers performing full-time work. (this would increase full-time jobs)
6. Vacations- I would like to be able to take vacations day by day, not five days at a time. Perhaps other places have this practice, but not in my neck of the woods.
7. Follow state laws on lunch. If they only require 20 minutes, that is all we have to take. BUT, make everyone take the lunch. If not, they get the spanking, not the guys that follow the rules.
8. Did I mention actually following the contract language?

trouble maker

To discourage the company from asking drivers to come in and work on their vacations. Make them pay the employee triple time, and the next person below them on the seniority list, an extra weeks paid vacation.

Without reading through all 10 pages, I know for a fact after 18 years i've been working for UPS they raised the part time rate .50, nobody wants to work for $8.50/hr with 6 month wait for bennys, most(not all) part timers dont give a crap because of the crappy rate they are paid :(

btw im a full time driver and would take a pay freese for this next contract to get a good quality loader who does& cares about his/her job!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It seems that would be hard to avoid. I doubt a senior person covered your vacation. Just sayin'.(Not saying that it is not possible that a senior person could be a cover driver.)

What I was trying to say is that I made sure that all of the casuals were working before I worked a vacation. It would not be fair for me to work a vacation and to have a casual laid off or not working.

brownIEman

But work is not given out based on fairness. It is given out base on seniority, and nothing else. Fairness does not enter into it, other than according to the bargaining agreement, seniority is the ONLY measure of fairness used. So, if you have the seniority, why should you not be able to work a vacation? Even if it meant the lower senior person had to sit and wait for their time. They have to wait for their time for permanent routes, better routes, vacation picks, and everything else. I am not sure why vacations should be considered different?

Not really arguing, I don't really have a dog in that fight as it were, just curious.

brownIEman

That is UPS' reason for not allowing the practice in some areas. And truth be told, the real reason UPS frowns on the practice, is that your vacation pay is calculated as 1/52 of your prior years pay, so if you get paid your vacation AND work it, you increase your yearly pay and there by increase what a vacation will be worth next year.

I was more curious from a union stand point why many union members believe the practice should not be allowed and in fact will threaten to file grievances if it is. I get that it sucks for the lower seniority folks, but then so does most of the bumping that they have to put up with, but in those other situations they are told to live with it and wait their turn. I just don't get why that same philosophy does not apply here.

407, your thoughts?