What is a utility driver?

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
You are both wrong. A utility driver is your go to club in the golf bag. Often has a special name, i.e., Big Boy, Tank, Terminator...
V5-iJ2.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You are both wrong. A utility driver is your go to club in the golf bag. Often has a special name, i.e., Big Boy, Tank, Terminator...
I can tell the only golf course you’ve been on is mini golf or as they call it in Branson Hillbilly golf
Let me know where you can get a utility driver

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My distribution center is asking for pt employees to sign up for utility driver. I've tried scouring the internet for answers as to what a utility driver actually is and I still dont really know. If anyone could tell me what its all about and if I should do it/pros and cons then Id really appreciate it.
In my area ( NE ) we called them cover drivers.
A driving job where nothing is written in stone.
One could end up doing some really weird split routes, covering a route for someone on VACA, or injury, filling in for a missing air driver or doing special one stop runs ( convention center or trade shows ) , mostly moving bulk loads.
Around here most drivers take time off when it college move in time. You really don't want those runs.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
One could end up doing some really weird split routes, covering a route for someone on VACA, or injury, filling in for a missing air driver or doing special one stop runs ( convention center or trade shows ) , mostly moving bulk loads.
Around here most drivers take time off when it college move in time. You really don't want those runs.
Been there. It sucked.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Same here, Michigan

oldngray

nowhere special
For us cover drivers were ones who had qualified and didn't have their own bid routes. They covered for vacations or ran split routes or whatever else needed to be done. We didn't call them utility drivers either but the same thing.

UnionStrong

For us cover drivers were ones who had qualified and didn't have their own bid routes. They covered for vacations or ran split routes or whatever else needed to be done. We didn't call them utility drivers either but the same thing.
I covered for 7 years, all in the same center. I could have bid a route but it would have been worse than covering. There were some bad routes to cover but it was a crap shoot. At least I got some good ones too.

oldngray

nowhere special
I covered for 7 years, all in the same center. I could have bid a route but it would have been worse than covering. There were some bad routes to cover but it was a crap shoot. At least I got some good ones too.
Everyone goes through that at first. A few people would rather do that vs being on the same route every day. I call that crazy. Even a garbage route can be better than nothing. It's a lot easier if you run the same areas every day and you can learn the shortcuts to make it easier. The cover drivers can hate to run your route but it can be different for you.

Thebrownblob

We have a couple guys who have quite a bit of seniority who have stayed as a cover driver. They’ve settled in covering routes for old-timers who have up to 7 weeks vacation each so they pretty much do three or four routes all year.

UnionStrong

Everyone goes through that at first. A few people would rather do that vs being on the same route every day. I call that crazy. Even a garbage route can be better than nothing. It's a lot easier if you run the same areas every day and you can learn the shortcuts to make it easier. The cover drivers can hate to run your route but it can be different for you.
I finally bid a decent route. Got bumped the next year. And so it began.

JustDeliverIt

Same here, but we have PT and FT cover drivers. PT cover is only guaranteed 2 days a week while the FT’ers get their 5.