What is more important to UPS management???

If you feel that you are in an unsafe situation you have to be the one to make the call. Some drivers would feel unsafe where other drivers wouldn't. As long as you have a reasonable argument that your safety is/was in jeopardy you should have nothing to worry about. You have to realize, though, that other driver may have been in the same situation as you and decided to "carry on". This will probably come into play. At the end of the day, though, safety is a judgement call on your part. If you do feel that you cannot do the job you have been given safely you have the right to not do it. Just be willing and able to effectively explain why it was unsafe.
The brownavenger....here is your answer ^^^^^

Sometimes YOU have to make the decision for YOUR safety and you have to have the courage to see it to the end.

Keep in mind that the sup is only thinking of covering his own backside with his boss.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
In other words, if there was a situation where a package-car driver's life could be in jeopardy

Can you go more into detail about this subject? It certainly sounds extreme and curious. So what did you notice about your PC that brought you to post a possible life or death scenario??

tiegirl

tiegirl
If I were a betting woman I would bet that parcel being delivered is way more important than any human that works for UPS. Did you really need to ask that question? Duh ! You should have known that answer without having to ask!

What is more important to UPS management,
drivers safety and well-being or the delivery of packages?
In other words, if there was a situation where a package-car driver's life could be in jeopardy, would management be more inclined to worry about parcels being delivered over the driver?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I must either work for a different UPS than the rest of you or the franchise that I work for here in Upstate operates differently that your franchises. Our center manager does expect us to make every effort to safely deliver each and every package but does not expect us to put ourselves in to unsafe situations. He constantly reminds us during inclement winter weather to be safe and to use Emergency Conditions if we are unable to make delivery on the package. He also asks that we try all means for alternate delivery, to include calling the consignee or perhaps leaving it with a neighbor, but not to put ourselves in to unsafe situations.

fethrs

I have to agree with UPstate on this, even though I don't drive anymore. if we had to write a pc up on the dvir for something that pc was out that day and not used until the problem was fixed. Mgt at my building always stresses safety, no matter what job it is. I know at my building a person's safety in way more important than a pacakage, and I for one, am glad for that.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
If you feel that you are in an unsafe situation you have to be the one to make the call. Some drivers would feel unsafe where other drivers wouldn't. As long as you have a reasonable argument that your safety is/was in jeopardy you should have nothing to worry about. You have to realize, though, that other driver may have been in the same situation as you and decided to "carry on". This will probably come into play. At the end of the day, though, safety is a judgement call on your part. If you do feel that you cannot do the job you have been given safely you have the right to not do it. Just be willing and able to effectively explain why it was unsafe.

+1

ups1990

I will again post about Hurricane Charlie in my building.

This storm hit and we were told before going out that day that we were NOT ALLOWED to return until we were told to.

I watched tornadoes go over my head in my area. We had drivers an hour closer to the storm core than me.

Does that answer your question?
Reminds me about the So. Cal. fires of 2003. Fires started on the weekend and we were ordered to work Monday. The sky was gray with ashes and smoke everywhere. Breathing became difficult. Management gave us dust mask's to wear while delivering. The streets were completely empty except for emergency personel.
The following day, my center received sick calls in the double digits. Those whom did show up on Tuesday, went home.
Another great example of where their true concern lies.