What is our incentive to join the teamsters?

local804

Not everyone is going to side with the teamsters and the TDU isnt for sure. Does anyone ever say every single teamster official is perfect, by the book and does not ever do anything wrong? If they did they would be lying! There is corruption in every single organization including the police department, teachers and I am sure we will agree that all UPS managers do not play by the rules either. Shall we say friend$#k the police because 4 were caught dealing cocaine in NY a few years back or friend@#k the teachers union because of a few bad apples that did some unlawful acts to minors? NO Majority of the police are good so we do not judge the force on what a minority have done wrong. Same thing applies to our union, if you dont like it, vote against it.
Case closed.

Mystakilla

Who the *$#@ cares.
Labor Laws, Labor Laws, Labor Laws?!? thats all you have to say about the things posted above?

I had one job where i worked for six years, never got paid for holidays, never got paid for personal time off, sick days? yeah right, never got a hint of overtime pay after 8 hrs!!

and your telling me labor laws cover all that? yeah okay, time to wake up buddy, labor laws dont mean squat.

trickpony1

Labor Laws, Labor Laws, Labor Laws?!? thats all you have to say about the things posted above?

I had one job where i worked for six years, never got paid for holidays, never got paid for personal time off, sick days? yeah right, never got a hint of overtime pay after 8 hrs!!

and your telling me labor laws cover all that? yeah okay, time to wake up buddy, labor laws dont mean squat.

I agree.
I think Hoser may be one of our young, innocent, impressionable and wide-eyed youngsters that have faith in all things such as our government and big business and big business management.
Hoser has, apparently, never dealt with government enforcement agencies. If he thinks these agencies are gonna jump right through their rear end to resolve some of the issues that arise in our employment, he's got another think coming.

hoser

Industrial Slob

Well, when you work for wal-mart, you don't know your rights because you're too lazy to go to a library, and you don't confront your employer (other than traditional union like kicking, screaming, and threatening), they're going to get away with this. I blame you, not the laws that aren't this knight in shining armour to save you when you're too lazy (or banal) to understand what the laws are in the first place. If you confronted your employer the first year, your unpaid vacations (if this is even true) wouldn't have carried through the following five years. And if it happened again, and you talked to a lawyer, it wouldn't have happened the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6 time.

And put my replies in context; the teamster apologist had the grandiose theory that unions are going to solve all of our problems and force employers to adhere to the law, when 90% of them are adhering to the law already. Especially a massive LTL company like UPS-friend

I agree.
I think Hoser may be one of our young, innocent, impressionable and wide-eyed youngsters that have faith in all things such as our government and big business and big business management.
Hoser has, apparently, never dealt with government enforcement agencies. If he thinks these agencies are gonna jump right through their rear end to resolve some of the issues that arise in our employment, he's got another think coming.
Welcome to Mister Roger's neighborhood.

Hoser is the only resident.
I advocate responsible financial planning and now I'm in Mr. Rogers neighbourhood. Let's leave our finances in the hands of union economists. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience. Oops! They screwed up. Now let's spend our spare time blaming them. Great way of thinking:thumbup1:. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience.

I've dealt with the bureaucracy plenty of times. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience. I worked for them in the revenue department. I know the game. And where I am, it's 10X more bureaucratic than you've ever imagine. Like corporations, they don't shoot out their rear, you have to get off your rear, first. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience.

Once again trickpony, Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience. the noise coming out of your mouth is all tripe and no meat, obsessing over personal attacks regarding my alleged naietivity because I don't bi-ch and whine about how UPS is the worst thing ever, of course ignoring the actual issue. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience. Apparently, I'm so naieve, and so wrong, yet you are yet to rebut a point that my stupid naieve ass has made. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience.

Now I see why you have such a hard time at UPS and as such, is completely miserable, bringing down anyone around him with anything above a impartial attitude:
1) Management imposes a rule
2) Trickpony disagrees with the rule based on what his imbalanced and child-like emotions signal to him
3) Trickpony insults the manager, his family, and his managerial style
4) Realising trickpony is an idiot, the manager ignores this, and asks trickpony to criticise the rules, not the person saying or imposing them. The manager even asks trickpony if he thinks there's a better altnerative
5) Trickpony doesn't comprehend this and continues to insult the manager., eventually losing sight of the issue and obsessing over personal attacks. If this manager is younger than him, then he plays the age and "I'm older than you, so I can talk to you like you're naieve, even though you're more qualified and more educated than me" card
6) Manager starts ignoring trickpony and doesn't take anything he ever says seriously
7) One day, trickpony has a serious issue to bring up to the manager
8) Manager doesn't care, anything coming out of trickpony's mouth is cheap and meaningless.
9) trickpony whines about how he's not treated with respect and dignity. he becomes IBT president and finds browncafe.com. he tells everyone to stand up to managers, but not him, the union, irresponsibility, or all three.
10) a young fresh face comes to the center. instead of seeing this as an opportunity for reform or fresh thinking, trickpony dismisses him as a young naieve twit.
11) go to 1) and repeat

You're the reason why "American Jobs" get outsourced to Asia. They're more educated, they don't have a feeling of entitlement, and they're appreciative for what they have. Oh and they'll work OT for the good of the company and limit the whining to themselves. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience.

I think I need to stop paying attention to your posts. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience.

Last edited:
A

Anonymous one

As for the person who said Are you under Central States.They are not.this is a Non-Union pension fund carried over from Overnite.It is fully company sponsored and funded as far as I know and Is not subject to the union unless the terminal votes the union in then the union would sieze control of it and it would come under the central states control.A poor Idea at best since central states would just throw it in with all its pensions which are not fully funded at current.Since many union workers companys have gone out of buisness their workers are not paying in yet their retirees are drawing out.This is called negative funding.

Teamster251

PSST Drvr Local 251 PRORI
Teamster251 is selling the Mazda, I'm the guy in the Nissan dealership across the street shouting at you.
First of all your choice of forgien cars shows where your loyality lies.

Do you lack a voice, or have you've lacked a voice in 30 years? There are companies that :ohmy::ohmy: yes, listen to their employees and treat them with respect! And they're not in unionized environments.
Questions answered with questions and complete generalizations that follow.

Would you ever, or have you've ever be(en) put in a position where you'd somehow get fired 'unjustly'? Is your labour so cheap and expendable that they could fire you for no reason and have it make economic sense?
As a matter of fact I was fired. For stealing time. 22 minutes to be exact. Computer said I was not on property, time card did. I was fired for what a time study sheet pointed out to a manager. I was reinstated after steward called and found supervisor that saw me clock in.

Are you scared of efficency?
Again another question for a question

Who cares about where it comes from, IT'S FREE :w00t:
(and it's not zilch, y'see, this is how the union holds power; they negotiate a health plan, have the employer pay into this massive bloated health plan, and the union collects your three hours a month, as if they're the one's paying for it)
This doesn't make sense. Dues have nothing to do with benifits. In my 22 years as a Teamster never has any company or Union officail insinuate that they did.
Again I pay nothing weekly for any benifits supplied to me by my loval as contracted with my empoloyer

or the dirty word to unions: 'merit' (believe me, when working for airlines where scheduling is everying, scheduling was MUCH better WITHOUT the union shift bidding crap)
Are we working for an Airline? I quess you can answer questions with questions, I must be able to also.

:confused:1

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
1) Is it unfair as it is?
2) ..nevermind

Labor laws cover that.

Majority of companies offer that anyways

Labor laws cover that.

Labor laws.

Labor laws

Labor laws
None of these answers make any sence. Labor laws don't protect y9u against anyof these becasue they are un-enforcable.

To think that a union would bring this utopia of happiness and respect is complete bollocks. Unions divide supervisors, management, and employees (because now managers have to adhere to stupid rules and they take out their frusturation on normal employees) and create rifts amongst employees (which is why I'm not openly against the union at my workplace). There are tons of good companies with great corporate culture that get hijacked by these unions promising peace love and happiness, but they end up running the coporate culture into the ground. Don't buy into that crap. The Teamsters put their coffers #1, not their 'brothers and sisters'
Are you sure you didn't mean our culture is being run into the ground by the corporations.

danny70

I got so lost in the crap I almost forgot where it all started. Let big brown break a few off up your ass and see if your views of Teamsters don't change. The problem with Teamsters is its members. Whine bitch and cry, that is the new battle cry. Watch out for each other because UPS will divide you and then let you battle each other while big brown has its way with you. I am in Central States and plan on staying here. UPS has members on the board of trustees but I never here the cry babys blaming the company for ****. If you think the company is worried about your future then remember the THrift Plan. If you guys at UPSF want my best advice then join us in the teamsters, because we have a long history of keeping up with UPS. Sure we get burned every once in a while but its because we take our eyes off big brown and fight with each other. I would like to think we'll soon get over this bad habit and with fresh blood in our ranks I believe we can.

A

Anonymous Wuss

Well, when you work for wal-mart, you don't know your rights because you're too lazy to go to a library, and you don't confront your employer (other than traditional union like kicking, screaming, and threatening), they're going to get away with this. I blame you, not the laws that aren't this knight in shining armour to save you when you're too lazy (or banal) to understand what the laws are in the first place. If you confronted your employer the first year, your unpaid vacations (if this is even true) wouldn't have carried through the following five years. And if it happened again, and you talked to a lawyer, it wouldn't have happened the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6 time.

And put my replies in context; the teamster apologist had the grandiose theory that unions are going to solve all of our problems and force employers to adhere to the law, when 90% of them are adhering to the law already. Especially a massive LTL company like UPS-friend

I advocate responsible financial planning and now I'm in Mr. Rogers neighbourhood. Let's leave our finances in the hands of union economists. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience. Oops! They screwed up. Now let's spend our spare time blaming them. Great way of thinking:thumbup1:. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience.

I've dealt with the bureaucracy plenty of times. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience. I worked for them in the revenue department. I know the game. And where I am, it's 10X more bureaucratic than you've ever imagine. Like corporations, they don't shoot out their rear, you have to get off your rear, first. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience.

Once again trickpony, Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience. the noise coming out of your mouth is all tripe and no meat, obsessing over personal attacks regarding my alleged naietivity because I don't bi-ch and whine about how UPS is the worst thing ever, of course ignoring the actual issue. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience. Apparently, I'm so naieve, and so wrong, yet you are yet to rebut a point that my stupid naieve ass has made. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience.

Now I see why you have such a hard time at UPS and as such, is completely miserable, bringing down anyone around him with anything above a impartial attitude:
1) Management imposes a rule
2) Trickpony disagrees with the rule based on what his imbalanced and child-like emotions signal to him
3) Trickpony insults the manager, his family, and his managerial style
4) Realising trickpony is an idiot, the manager ignores this, and asks trickpony to criticise the rules, not the person saying or imposing them. The manager even asks trickpony if he thinks there's a better altnerative
5) Trickpony doesn't comprehend this and continues to insult the manager., eventually losing sight of the issue and obsessing over personal attacks. If this manager is younger than him, then he plays the age and "I'm older than you, so I can talk to you like you're naieve, even though you're more qualified and more educated than me" card
6) Manager starts ignoring trickpony and doesn't take anything he ever says seriously
7) One day, trickpony has a serious issue to bring up to the manager
8) Manager doesn't care, anything coming out of trickpony's mouth is cheap and meaningless.
9) trickpony whines about how he's not treated with respect and dignity. he becomes IBT president and finds browncafe.com. he tells everyone to stand up to managers, but not him, the union, irresponsibility, or all three.
10) a young fresh face comes to the center. instead of seeing this as an opportunity for reform or fresh thinking, trickpony dismisses him as a young naieve twit.
11) go to 1) and repeat

You're the reason why "American Jobs" get outsourced to Asia. They're more educated, they don't have a feeling of entitlement, and they're appreciative for what they have. Oh and they'll work OT for the good of the company and limit the whining to themselves. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience.

I think I need to stop paying attention to your posts. Oh but wait, I'm a wide-eyed young maroon with no life experience.

Actually, over the past decade, the jobs being outsourced to Asia have decimated the ranks and income of the "educated", white collar American jobs more than the blue collar American jobs (which took their licks two decades ago.) I am a "blue collar" grunt package driver, yet I also hold a college degree. I also happen to be the top production driver in a center that has approximately 90 drivers (give or take a few). Believe me when I say that there is not a single person in management at my hub that is more qualified than me to direct operations on any level. Your "trickpony" character may not have the faculties to engage in neurosurgery, but neither is his supervisor, I solemnly assure you. Let's face it, double-digit IQ's are endemic at UPS all over the place -- in all capacities (IE, Management, drivers, part-timers), and it only seems to be getting worse. So, setting your self-righteous arrogant ignorance aside for a moment, I think you need to reflect upon who is truly a more indispensible employee at UPS: you (Mr. Management) or the driver? In case you can't figure it out, let me enlighten your pea-brain. IT'S THE DRIVER! UPS can run operations for a month without a single management personnel gracing the hub with his hallowed presence. All that's required is the part-time clerical support to make sure the time cards are sent to accounting. UPS is all about delivering. Some troglodyte in a suit isn't wreak havoc upon the company spending the day golfing instead of working. When it comes time to trim the fat at UPS it is management that will get trimmed, not the drivers. The drivers are those who generate our revenue by providing the only service that we provide - not management. Next time you ask a driver, "Where else can you be compensated so well for the work you do?", go ahead and ask it to yourself as well, because it is that driver who is providing you with your paycheck.

In regard to the outsourcing to Asia. It won't be long until as many "fat" UPS managerial positions are outsourced along the Pacific Rim. When you think about it, almost every managerial position can be outsourced thanks to the Internet. They can just NDA our weekly checks in regularily. Conversely, there is no way to outsource a drving job to Asia. And even if UPS did figure out a loophole to get Asian drivers over here on a temporary working visa, they would prove unprofitable anyway due to all the litigation incurred from all their car accidents. You ever seen them drive? Yes, it's true that in China, the company takes precedent over their workers' lives. But, they are God-less atheists. Is that what you are promoting? Should we idolize UPS as a surrogate god? You need to grow up, pal.

trickpony1

"Should we idolize UPS as a surrogate God?"

I have written the IBT with an addendum to my previous contract proposals. The language in the Bible shall, henceforth, read:

The Father, Son and UPS or;
Tieguy, Hoser and UPS.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: the cutesy, rolling, laughing icons mean I thought this was funny. :thumbup1:

local804

I have written the IBT with an addendum to my previous contract proposals. The language in the Bible shall, henceforth, read:

Tieguy, Hoser and UPS.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: the cutesy, rolling, laughing icons mean I thought this was funny. :thumbup1:

lol very

hoser

Industrial Slob
First of all your choice of forgien cars shows where your loyality lies.
Yes, product that's of higher quality yet made by employees that don't have powerful unions that allow them to make more money for their unskilled labour than someone like a Registered Nurse, police officer, or paramedic. I believe in workers rights, but not the Scandanavian vision of protectionism, which ends up hurting more people than it helps.

This doesn't make sense. Dues have nothing to do with benifits. In my 22 years as a Teamster never has any company or Union officail insinuate that they did.
Again I pay nothing weekly for any benifits supplied to me by my loval as contracted with my empoloyer
Money grows on trees.

Are we working for an Airline? I quess you can answer questions with questions, I must be able to also.
I used the airline as an example of how scheduling worked out. You're mentioning scheduling, so I gave an example of an airline, and how unionized shops were a lot different when it came to scheduling than non-union shops, in that shift-bidding is a major pain in the ass, unless you're king of the hill.

None of these answers make any sence. Labor laws don't protect y9u against anyof these becasue they are un-enforcable.
They obviously are if 95% of corporations are compliant. And if they're not, your friends, labor lawyers, would be of great help.

Are you sure you didn't mean our culture is being run into the ground by the corporations.
No, I meant corporate culture. But I guess that's a foreign term to a union apologist. And if Wal-Mart was unionized, you wouldn't be saying our culture is being destroyed. After all, they would make $20/hr. Hyper-inflation helps offset cultural deterioration.

Unions are like for-profit corporations. They have good things, bad things to them. If you see unions are the knight in shining armor and the for-profit corporations as the monster (or the other way around), then you're a reactionary, and need to crack open a textbook. I'm just giving my $0.02. Unions are the result of employee treatment, and if that's the destiny of UPS-Freight employees as the result of the conditions they are under, so be it. Now if UPS-friend is like FedEx Express, hah, well, good luck, hopefully your organization learned from your abysmal failures of the 1980s (huh? wha? everyone that works there believes in the company more than union rhetoric?)

I just dislike unions (or for profit corporations) forcing, coercing, and intimidating people to join (or not to join) because it's in the "employee's best interest". Employee, of course, is teamster (or for-profit corporation) for "bank account".

Tieguy, Hoser and UPS.

The village idiot, like a politician, emits noise for popularity points.

In regard to the outsourcing to Asia. It won't be long until as many "fat" UPS managerial positions are outsourced along the Pacific Rim. When you think about it, almost every managerial position can be outsourced thanks to the Internet. They can just NDA our weekly checks in regularily. Conversely, there is no way to outsource a drving job to Asia. And even if UPS did figure out a loophole to get Asian drivers over here on a temporary working visa, they would prove unprofitable anyway due to all the litigation incurred from all their car accidents. You ever seen them drive? Yes, it's true that in China, the company takes precedent over their workers' lives. But, they are God-less atheists. Is that what you are promoting? Should we idolize UPS as a surrogate god? You need to grow up, pal.
Cute. Managers getting outsourced to Asia. That sounds almost as hilarious (and short sighted) as the doomsday predictions that everything will be outsourced and all hell will break loose because of NAFTA. Kinda like how my mom told me in the early 90s that in 2005, my bank teller will be a computer (hasn't happened; demand for human contact is going up) or that business travel would decline with the .com boom and internet (it's increased). So your theory that managers will get outsourced to China based on media hype, is, union like fear mongering. I don't see what growing up has to do with this, despite being your 'pal', but I'll be sure to work on that for the degree holding ups driver.

Last edited:

govols019

You smell that?
Fifteen years ago we were running 25 routes or so a day. Today we run between 36-38.

Fifteen years ago we had 6 full time mangement employees. Today we have 3.

Managerial positions aren't being outsourced, they're just being eliminated. Technology, ain't it a bitch?

there are a number of reasons why you should.number one overnight and ups are not the same company you should consider it.but if you want one good reason is you dont have suck up to get a good route its all senority you have 30 years im sure your anti union thats fine so isnt ups.you should be a supervisor 30 years you have all anwsers.good luck.

hoser

Industrial Slob
there are a number of reasons why you should.number one overnight and ups are not the same company you should consider it.but if you want one good reason is you dont have suck up to get a good route its all senority you have 30 years im sure your anti union thats fine so isnt ups.you should be a supervisor 30 years you have all anwsers.good luck.
exactly...

if you know managers are going to treat you well, why mess with a good thing? but if things start to get stupid...

E

engineer79

Can anyone tell me why we should join the teamsters union? I will be retiring in 6 yrs with 30 yrs service. Combined; my company pension, social security; and 401k will pay me between 5&6K a month without touching the principal on my 401. I just got the fact sheet on the pension fund last week and it is fully 100% funded.

With the recent teamster pension cuts and under funded status
(40%), explain to me why I should even sign a union card, let alone vote the teamsters union in at this stage in my career?

Pretend you are a car salesman and try and sell me the pinto along with the extended warranty.:confused:1

You have to be insane to join the Teamsters!!! They will steal your pension and reduce it so that they can take a big piece of the pie for themselves. Look what they have done for the pensions at UPS.