What is the Free Period?

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
giphy (11).gif

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
Is the free period 11/15 - 1/15 where seniority is frozen and cannot be gained?
At this point , you might be disillusioned but make the best of the situation. Depending on where you are and how many people are retiring , they might keep you or bring you back to hire you permanently . And they might not. But if you get into accidents or become undependable or develop an attitude and then they have an opening , it won’t be you that is considered for the position.

At this point , you might be disillusioned but make the best of the situation. Depending on where you are and how many people are retiring , they might keep you or bring you back to hire you permanently . And they might not. But if you get into accidents or become undependable or develop an attitude and then they have an opening , it won’t be you that is considered for the position.
I don't expect a permanent position until one opens up. I plan on playing the long game and just remain on call for as long as need be until my PT seniority begins, and grind that out, then go for FT. There's 10-12 people that have seniority dates from the 70s and the 80s. Also, it seems a lot of guys have retired already, and just want 2-3 days a week to supplement their social security. Meaning they want to stay on call. I'm 25, haven't even started my career yet, I have plenty of time on my hands and practically no bills. I've answered my phone every time they've called thus far, and they call me when I'm already doing a job seeing if I want more, and I always say yes.

Yeah- most people believe that someone can't gain seniority during the "free period"...
Yeah that's what I was told when logging my 30 days worked that during the free period it doesn't count so just for piece of mind I wanted to know the specific dates so I don't have to log it. Makes sense since I'll have a set job for that time frame 6 days a week.