What is the stupidest thing that you seen a fellow employee do.. or heard that they did

CleverNameHere

You and those who agreed didn't really think this through, did you?

How could our business allow for a 5PM punch out everyday?

This would, on a typical route, mean the last delivery be around 4:30 because you still have to return to building, do end of day tasks and punch out at approximately 5. Last delivery/pickup at 4:30 before most business closures!

Then there's the minor detail of it not even being a 40 hour week. Even with just 30 min lunches, that's a 37.5 hour week.

And imagine our business functioning where every dispatch, everyday no matter the changes in volume, would have to be about 7 hours of work a day not counting break and building tasks. UPS would be out of business in a month.

Lastly, even if UPS could plan these ultra light days for way more drivers, we all know it's just a forecasted day, not actual. So when 4:30 rolls around and you still have 20 stops, does this mean 20 missed? Which then rolls more work into tomorrow in which management has to try and send you out with a 7 hour load again.

Dude, seriously.

Well technically, yes wouldn't want anyone to lose that unnecessary full lunch hour, but I hear ya on the pickups, don't want to screw the customers, so let's say like a 9-6 day counting lunch. Theres an easy solution still... HIRE MORE DRIVERS ADD MORE ROUTES HIRE MORE DRIVERS ADD MORE ROUTES but yeah we can also agree that will probably never happen.

JL 0513

The company over dispatches people beyond belief... You think that is ok ???

Apparently you didn't read my post. Never said anything about over dispatching.

I simply outlined why UPS pkg car drivers couldn't possibly be off the clock at 5 everyday.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

I simply outlined why UPS pkg car drivers couldn't possibly be off the clock at 5 everyday.
Can you imagine if they gave everybody a real 9 hour day ... Not ups "planned" 9 hour day...the numbers are slanted so bad toward the company it's not even funny...it's sick

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Well technically, yes wouldn't want anyone to lose that unnecessary full lunch hour, but I hear ya on the pickups, don't want to screw the customers, so let's say like a 9-6 day counting lunch. Theres an easy solution still... HIRE MORE DRIVERS ADD MORE ROUTES HIRE MORE DRIVERS ADD MORE ROUTES but yeah we can also agree that will probably never happen.
The numbers make it so they don't have to hire...they just have everybody doing a route and a half every day... If more guys got on the 9.5 this would help but even at 9.5 on their planned day you are guaranteed to be doing 10 or 10.5 hours in "real life"... They have these numbers screwed up so much it's disgusting...

JL 0513

Can you imagine if they gave everybody a real 9 hour day ... Not ups "planned" 9 hour day...the numbers are slanted so bad toward the company it's not even funny...it's sick

Real 9 hour days would be reasonable for this job. But it would still be impossible for UPS dispatch everyone everyday <9 paid days. Too much daily volume variances and other factors like call outs. What people forget is that if UPS decided to increase drivers substantially, you'd either have many cut guys day to day or less than 8 hour planned days which they can't do when we're guaranteed 8.

I always wonder about planned vs reality which is based on time studies. Wouldn't time studies be conducted using the methods? Speed limit, not walking across lawns, crossing around the back of the PC, not backing/walking off stops, complying with all the safety methods, etc...

If this were the case, wouldn't time be on the driver's side? How many drivers follow every method? If we're being honest, most drivers take short cuts and yet we come in paid over.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I always wonder about planned vs reality which is based on time studies. Wouldn't time studies be conducted using the methods? .
Virtual time studies are horse crap. I've proven it time and time again but hey, it's their circus. Honest time studies would show more routes needed and we can't have that.

Dr.Brownz

Simple solution have a few routes start at 10am or 11am. Of course it would have to be negotiated with the union. There is only language for 2 routes starting at noon now.

for the 8 hour guarantee have them clean the PC or take it to the car wash to fill up the 8.

CleverNameHere

This all day^^ Simple and intelligent solutions that wont cost a fortune. No one has to lose hours/money if they so choose if a plan like this were to be implemented.

Dr.Brownz

This all day^^ Simple and intelligent solutions that wont cost a fortune. No one has to lose hours/money if they so choose if a plan like this were to be implemented.

If I had a real 8 hour plan everyday I would work much harder to get done everyday because I would know I won't be blown out of the water everyday. Workers would have more energy and production would increase. UPS really has forgotten the human element though. I think it will take a strike to change anything, so for that to happen it will have to get much worse first....:(

StoptheAct1212

I once delivered a Comcast box to the customer. Inside that box was all random, usless overgoods that had nothing to do with Comcast... stupid fellow employee just threw everything in the box... and retaped it

AutoZone

BrownPower
FT Yard shifter throwing TVs over the fence during peak 3 years ago to his buddy in a truck on the other side... heard they got away with it for a couple years until UPS figured where the beach was happening.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
He probably doesn't load trucks at home.
I don't GAF. I loaded trucks for years and I still walked off the line when I needed to use the facilities. There is no excuse for urinating inside the building anywhere other than in a bathroom unless it's an accident/emergency. It's unsanitary and just friggin gross.