What? No More Keys

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I did a little experiment on my lunch hour today; I timed how long it took me to open the BH door with a key vs how long it took me without the door being latched in order to simulate keyless entry.

The difference was about 1 second (I say "about" because all I did was count one-one thousand rather than using a stopwatch.)

If we go ahead and round this up to two seconds (which is being generous), then on a 15 SPORH route with 135 stops a driver with keyless entry would, in theory, save 270 seconds per day, which equals 4.5 minutes. So for that 135-stop route the installation of keyless entry would, in theory, justify adding one additional stop per day. And this is without factoring in stops that are delivered out the back door or multiple stops being delivered from one park position where the BH door is only opened and shut once. So in reality the time saved would be somewhat less.

I predict 2 things; thing #1 is that our stop counts will increase by way more than one per day; and thing #2 is that the new allowance will take effect for the entire center on the first day that one of its cars gets equipped, even if it winds up taking many months or even years before all of its cars have the system installed.