What's Christmas season like for preloading?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 32blaine, Oct 7, 2016.

1. 32blaine

32blaine New Member

i read here that it's not bad and you can work the same pace because all the extra help... Is that true?
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Analbumcover

Analbumcover Member

Largely depends on your center but I've heard similar things.

The difference is that there's a lot more PCs docked, a lot more people running around and a lot more part-time, inexperienced pre-loaders putting overweight bulk stops on the 1000 shelf.
  3. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

What difference does it make?
  4. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

He's the older gentleman that was asking about age limits to preload. @32blaine , the pace will increase but you will be fine so long as you stay safe and work at a pace that is comfortable for you.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. dudebro

dudebro Active Member

same pace, yea. If your building doesn't have a preceding night sort, though, much longer span.
  6. Alligator

Alligator Alien Aligator Here For Your Package

I worked for a smaller center a few years ago and it was hell. But each place is different so just be ready to work harder and if you don't have to then consider yourself lucky
  7. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Shove everything in big white bags. How hard can that be?
  8. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Active Member

lol@ extra help bahaaaaa
  9. jaker

jaker trolling

I guess tell fail to mention how long you will be working

The loaders here where working 15hr days , so yeah might be easier but might be a lot longer
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

15 hr days? No way.
  11. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

It's possible....if working preload and double shifting as a helper.
  12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

13. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Your worst nightmare
  14. AirOnTrace

AirOnTrace Allergic to cardboard.

Bite down on something. It comes in hard and dry.
  15. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

you can work at your pace . safely and using the methods that you were trained on.

it's the companies responsibility to hire more people for the increased volume.

don't let them push you around.
  16. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Be sure and let us know how this works out
    When the :censored2: hits the fan
  17. dookie stain

dookie stain Well-Known Member

I can't wait til peak! I work til 1030 every night anyway might as well have someone to keep me company
  18. matty_lawn

matty_lawn Active Member

They cannot fire you for working at your normal pace during peak. If :censored2: hits the fan its the companies fault
  19. dookie stain

dookie stain Well-Known Member

:censored2: will hit the fan...ups is the least proactive company on the planet...every year they act shocked when it gets busy in November
  20. Peak season is the same as any other day. You come in, load cars, take a short break regardless if you are working for 3.5 hours or 8 hours, work the second half and go home. There's more boxes and more routes, so more people. Lots of new people are hired, very few stay afterwards. Some people will walk off the belt and quit, some will wait until break and never come back.. If you're loading 3 cars and 900 pieces right now, chances are it's going to maybe increase 100 pieces or so. The belt speeds don't change and you wait on work some days. Most days you don't get off until after start time because trailers are late, planes are late, or whatever the other reasons may be.

Bonus points if you know how to drive a package car as you get taken off of preload and get the chance to drive for a few days to 12 weeks if you're one of the lucky ones. Otherwise, you work preload and go home, or work preload and go out on a route as a helper or on a golf cart...