What's happening with Amazon??

UPSwife0174

I don't see a current thread about it, but hubby was told this morning that the Amazon contract is gone, so their hub is down 1000 packages/day? He was sent home today for the 3rd day this week.

I know people talk about the "8 hour guarantee" but the only thing they do in this hub (under local 710) for the cover driver position is guarantee you 8 hours of pay IF you work 5 hours or more. There is no "you are guaranteed 8 hours of daily pay just for being a full time employee"

The UPS roller coaster is going to give me an ulcer. Do they typically just lay people off if they lose a contract like that and business is down??? I mean if that happened, what is his future there looking like as a cover driver? (there are about 5 cover drivers under him now, and all have been sent home the last 3 days).

oldngray

nowhere special
I got my Amazon package by UPS Tuesday. It wasn't the usual driver because routes had been cut out but he does often deliver this area.

Companies normally lay off the bottom seniority workers when business is down. Why would you think UPS would be any different? Can he bump inside to make his hours or would that be beneath his dignity?

UPSwife0174

Maybe he just volunteers to go home and is feeding you a line of :bsbullf:

Right, because secretly he doesn't WANT to go to Turks & Caicos in 6 weeks, the trip we already have plane tickets for and are saving up spending cash for, and he WANTED to burn an optional day today, on this dreary, gray, cold, Midwestern Thursday because why the hell not? And more than anything, he really loves that I work for the :censored2:bag that i do and secretly really wants me to stay here longer than the 18 years I've already been, even though one of the best things for him about getting full time at UPS was the fact that I now would have options to go elsewhere. You're right, I mean, I've only known the man 17 years and I'm clearly stupid so you're totally right. I have no idea about who he is or what his intentions are.

You need to change your name to "bleedinred" because you seem to be on the rag 24/7 and give all women a bad name.

UPSwife0174

Companies normally lay off the bottom seniority workers when business is down. Why would you think UPS would be any different? Can he bump inside to make his hours or would that be beneath his dignity?

Did I say how I thought UPS "would be?" I asked a question about Amazon because I'm worried he will be sent home more, and I'm wondering at what point they lay off rather than stringing people along and sending them home 3-4 days out of 5. Trust me I've gotten used to the ridiculous notion that someone who has been employed at a company for 14 years can still be considered "low seniority" but who would he even BUMP "inside?" Not like he can jump in and push out someone to do a job he's never done before.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
This is historically a slow time of the year for UPS. I'm sure it will pick up, you and hubby just have to hang in there. A lot of folks on here have gone thru some lean times in the beginning of their employment, myself included.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I don't see a current thread about it, but hubby was told this morning that the Amazon contract is gone, so their hub is down 1000 packages/day? He was sent home today for the 3rd day this week.

I know people talk about the "8 hour guarantee" but the only thing they do in this hub (under local 710) for the cover driver position is guarantee you 8 hours of pay IF you work 5 hours or more. There is no "you are guaranteed 8 hours of daily pay just for being a full time employee"

The UPS roller coaster is going to give me an ulcer. Do they typically just lay people off if they lose a contract like that and business is down??? I mean if that happened, what is his future there looking like as a cover driver? (there are about 5 cover drivers under him now, and all have been sent home the last 3 days).

Oh brother not you again!!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Right, because secretly he doesn't WANT to go to Turks & Caicos in 6 weeks, the trip we already have plane tickets for and are saving up spending cash for, and he WANTED to burn an optional day today, on this dreary, gray, cold, Midwestern Thursday because why the hell not? And more than anything, he really loves that I work for the :censored2:bag that i do and secretly really wants me to stay here longer than the 18 years I've already been, even though one of the best things for him about getting full time at UPS was the fact that I now would have options to go elsewhere. You're right, I mean, I've only known the man 17 years and I'm clearly stupid so you're totally right. I have no idea about who he is or what his intentions are.

You need to change your name to "bleedinred" because you seem to be on the rag 24/7 and give all women a bad name.
Why, because I call it like I see it? He wouldn't be the first husband to volunteer to go home for a few days off and fib to the wife that he was sent home so she doesn't get mad.

I'm sorry, do you work here??

Oh right...no. But please tell me in my center of 150 hourly union employes...of which I am the only female and have been for almost 9 years...how I give WOMEN a bad name??

IMG_20150122_121050457.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is simple if he has a start time even the worst contracts say he gets paid 6 hours. If he's laid off he can bump part timers.

Tell him to grow a set and ask for a broom tomorrow.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What about laughing about his $1300.00 checks after taxes that you posted on another forum about. Now your worried about him getting sent home! You should be laughing all the way to the bank. Talk about bi-polar!
Plus if he's making $1300 after taxes either he's at full scale (I don't think he is) or more needs to be put away for retirement.