What's your method of breaking boots in?

local287driver

UPS Driver
i always hate getting new boots, because it takes much longer than i'd like to get them broken in. had to give in and pick up a new pair today. They are a pair of Red Wings, just like my last. My last pair were resole-able, so i was able to hold onto them for 2 years before picking these pair up.

My question is, how do you guys break your boots in? Any secret methods you've picked up on? Any oils/chemicals to loosen up the leather? etc?

AKX

I never wear a new pair of boots to work until they are broken in. You get out on route and they start rubbing or hurting your feet and your SOL for the next 10 hours. I just get a new pair before my old ones are completely wore out so I can wear them around the house some and feel em out. The only way I know how to loosen up new boots is by wearing em.

local287driver

UPS Driver
I never wear a new pair of boots to work until they are broken in. You get out on route and they start rubbing or hurting your feet and your SOL for the next 10 hours. I just get a new pair before my old ones are completely wore out so I can wear them around the house some and feel em out. The only way I know how to loosen up new boots is by wearing em.

yeah, that's basically what i've been doing...wearing them around the house. i also tend to wear an extra pair of socks to give a little extra cushion during break in.

AKX

Double socks in Cali? You poor fella. Im in the mid east coast and still wearing shorts and black nikes all but one day last week.

klein

Für Meno :)
Funny, this Spring when I needed to get new work steel toed boots, I had the same fear. So, I went to 2nd hand stores... but found nothing in my size.
Oddly enough though, I went to an Army & Navy Store (Canadian discount store), and they had work boots 30% off.

And they were the best I have ever, ever bought in my entire lifetime ! They fitted instantly, never rubbed, never hurt !
Manufacturer (name brand) : JB Goodhue

satellitedriver

i always hate getting new boots, because it takes much longer than i'd like to get them broken in. had to give in and pick up a new pair today. They are a pair of Red Wings, just like my last. My last pair were resole-able, so i was able to hold onto them for 2 years before picking these pair up.

My question is, how do you guys break your boots in? Any secret methods you've picked up on? Any oils/chemicals to loosen up the leather? etc?

Sorry, but your mistake is in buying a Red Wing work boot.
Yes they do last, but at a cost to your feet.
I learned that lesson over 30yrs ago. 2 blisters on my left foot and 3 on my right foot. I did not have the money to spare for new boots, so I just wore them. They lasted 5yrs.
A true quality work boot does not require any break in.
There are "old school" tricks to get a leather boot to form to your feet.
Soak them in water and wear them while they dry and they form to your foot.
If they are too tight, or just rub in certain spots, soak the area with rubbing alcohol and use the end of a broom stick, on the inside, to stretch the leather.
To soften the leather, massage mink oil into the leather-(it also is a good waterproofing)-.
IMHO, the best thing to do is to buy a boot that fits perfectly when you try them on at the store.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I wear them to start the day work about 2 hours change into my old ones, do this for a few days.
If I start to feel my feet hurting I just go back to the old ones for a few days.
Wear them a little more as time goes on, in about 2 weeks you will be fine.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't buy 'boots' for work but I have to agree with Sat. A GOOD pair should not need any break in. I buy New Balance shoes and have never used a break in period for them and have never had a blister on my feet. I've bought cheap tennis shoes (for personal use) and hated them because they hurt my feet no matter how long I've worn them.

local287driver

UPS Driver
capt. kirk:900874 said:
I wear them to start the day work about 2 hours change into my old ones, do this for a few days.
If I start to feel my feet hurting I just go back to the old ones for a few days.
Wear them a little more as time goes on, in about 2 weeks you will be fine.

that's an awesome idea! I'm so spent after work...i don't do too much walking after :P...going to make sure to have my old ones in the truck til the new ones are broken in!

satellitedriver

Double socks in Cali? You poor fella. Im in the mid east coast and still wearing shorts and black nikes all but one day last week.
I have worn two socks, all year round in Texas, for decades.
It keeps your feet warmer in the winter and drier in the summer.
I wear a thin cotton half sock under my brown socks.
Simple science, moisture is wicked to the outer sock through capillary action.
Even during the heat wave we had down here this summer when I took my boots off the outer sock would be damp and the the inner sock was dry.
Same thing happens in the winter.
In winter dry feet are warmer feet and in summer dry feet are not a breeding ground for fungal growth.
Meaning; no stinky feet.

rocket man

i always hate getting new boots, because it takes much longer than i'd like to get them broken in. Had to give in and pick up a new pair today. They are a pair of red wings, just like my last. My last pair were resole-able, so i was able to hold onto them for 2 years before picking these pair up.

My question is, how do you guys break your boots in? Any secret methods you've picked up on? Any oils/chemicals to loosen up the leather? Etc?
dunk them in a pail of water for a day or two if you dont have time to do that then just wear them

brown bomber

brown bomber
I used to buy, Red Wings.......however they weren't worth the break in period..........prior to my retirement, I always wore New Balance , for warm weather deliveries ( I've got wide feet ).........and I've also had a pair of light-weight Dunham boots (American made), that worked for just about every weather situation.......I also have a pair of Danner boots that that I've worn a few times.....they are basically too good,....they make my feet sweat...............ergo......COLD WET FEET

AKX

I have worn two socks, all year round in Texas, for decades.
It keeps your feet warmer in the winter and drier in the summer.
I wear a thin cotton half sock under my brown socks.
Simple science, moisture is wicked to the outer sock through capillary action.
Even during the heat wave we had down here this summer when I took my boots off the outer sock would be damp and the the inner sock was dry.
Same thing happens in the winter.
In winter dry feet are warmer feet and in summer dry feet are not a breeding ground for fungal growth.
Meaning; no stinky feet.

Hey if it works then by all means. I spray my feet with deodorant in the summer

TheDick

I've worn redwings since the beginning. I just wear'em, but i'll wear the REI expedition weight socks year round, or two pairs of socks.

packageguy

Red wings the best, about 3 hours a day, bring a
second pair change around lunch.