Wheel routes

Nolimitz

May be possible for me to get a new gig. It would be a 4-10 schedule as a Wheel route. Doing 4 different routes during the week. It would get me off Saturdays, a huge plus for me. as well as a 3 day wk end. Does any one have any input on this animal? TIA

DS

Fenderbender
I guess it would be ok if it was a small town,doing the same 4 routes over and over.
I personally have ultimate respect for swing drivers.Some of them actually enjoy doing something different every day.
I,personally could not take it.Where I am they can throw you into any of about 80 runs with 10-11 "planned":) 8.5 hr days.I like knowing where I'm at.

vantexan

May be possible for me to get a new gig. It would be a 4-10 schedule as a Wheel route. Doing 4 different routes during the week. It would get me off Saturdays, a huge plus for me. as well as a 3 day wk end. Does any one have any input on this animal? TIA

I'm on my 3rd stint as a 4X10 cover driver. The two best things about it to me are getting Fridays off(in the latest situation) and having a little variety. The worst is dealing with very particular couriers who get upset if their truck isn't exactly as found after I drive it. I try to leave things the way I find them, clear out trash, etc. Some guys are pretty anal though. And you may find that if a driver has been on a route a long time to where he's friendly with various customers, some of the customers will point out how he does it, act very impatient with you, etc. Most people are fine, but you may run across some weirdness. One of the couriers I cover takes his 911 county street guide home every night including the night before I run it. Luckily next courier over who's in the same county knows his rt so well that he lets me use his. For your own sake don't criticize any of the drivers you cover. At last station our loop cover driver was married to one of the loop's couriers. Courier next to him averaged about half the stops he did so when she covered that courier she worked extra hard to show that courier could be doing more and help her husband. Was so vocal about it that it was probably a reason a rt was cut out of our loop, forcing that courier and the rest of us to do more. Went from comfortable rt with hour lunch in the middle of day to running like crazy with a half hour lunch in the late afternoon. If the rts you cover are extended areas driven by senior couriers then most likely they are reasonable rts. Not always though, may drive an hour, run all day, drive back. If these are 4X10's in a busy city I'd find out opinions of those rts before signing anything.

Doc Sorting Dude

Hey, I like swing crr's who clean the trash out especially after a long vacation. We have one crr who's so bad at customer service that everytime I found out he covered for me I have to apologize to my regs when I get back.

vantexan

If they change any overtime laws in your state they'll cut that position first. All of them.

What do you mean? 4X10 cover drivers eliminate OT. And if they eliminate the cover rts they'll have to put the remaining rts up for bid because it'll be the low seniority guy who's out if it comes to layoffs.

overflowed

What do you mean? 4X10 cover drivers eliminate OT. And if they eliminate the cover rts they'll have to put the remaining rts up for bid because it'll be the low seniority guy who's out if it comes to layoffs.

Go ask 4 10 covers in California Vantexan. changed back to 5 day no pups. go look at Jcats and look at the number of stations hiring pt drivers. Mostly all pup drivers. Remember, it only suits the company till it no longer is in their favor. Capitalism, I get it. but, were all just asset numbers. This was over some law that changed. Would you be upset if they gave you 30 to find a new position like that? They really make the float look like a nice gig though. Pick of the litter days off yada yada.

vantexan

Go ask 4 10 covers in California Vantexan. changed back to 5 day no pups. go look at Jcats and look at the number of stations hiring pt drivers. Mostly all pup drivers. Remember, it only suits the company till it no longer is in their favor. Capitalism, I get it. but, were all just asset numbers. This was over some law that changed. Would you be upset if they gave you 30 to find a new position like that? They really make the float look like a nice gig though. Pick of the litter days off yada yada.

Sorry man, you seem to know what you mean but aren't quite conveying it. FedEx almost always hires PT couriers except for FT routes that no one locally is willing to do. Very few people come off the street into a FT job. And there seems to be some mixing up on this thread of 4X10 cover drivers with swing drivers. 4X10's get nothing extra for doing four rts but, in theory at least, usually in practice, they are only doing those 4 rts, not thrown onto other rts they don't know like swings are. The point being it's cheaper to work 5 couriers on 4 rts with little OT than to have 4 couriers getting a lot of OT. It's been my experience that most 4X10 extended area rts are reasonable, more about miles than stops, and are done mostly by senior couriers who worked their way into them. A low seniority guy who would otherwise be stuck in heavy rts can greatly improve his situation by being willing to cover 4 rts run by older couriers. Now if the trend is to keep pushing shippers towards Ground, causing Express volume to drop, those extended 4X10's will eventually have to go 5X8. Either the area will be restructured to 5 5X8 rts, or the low man in seniority on the loop will be assigned elsewhere. With attrition that displaced courier will eventually be doing something substantial, although he might only be getting 35 hrs. And isn't policy 90 days to find something else, not 30? I can see where 4X10's in a metro area could be changed to 5X8's no pups, but not extended areas. Is California saying that you get OT if you work over 8 hrs in a day, thus negating the advantage of 4X10's?

overflowed

I'm sorry , 90 I was thinking 3 months 30 day . 3 times 3 is 9. Sorry , my bad . i see what your saying on extended rte A6 areas wouldn't make sense. yes, the law that changed was basically 4 day drivers started getting ot at 8 instead of 10. And yes this was metro. Now i'm not all conspiracy like some people but let's just say es got pulled from us. go to ground whatever. A6 area would have no SO . P1 and see ya. Matter of fact SM asked me on a extended rte how many P1 do you average on a daily basis? Weird question yes, was thinking hmm, but its due at 1630 so who cares, never actually counted them. This was a few months ago. Around sept. Kinda strange right? This talk on here was the reason it even made me think hmm. I remember you saying you're a float, not trying to freak you or anything. Just trying to give my advice on OP. Saw it happen wasn't cool you feel me?

whenIgetthere

I've heard district is looking to make many of our extended areas AA service. I would imagine this will mean more PT routes with P1 and out, and FT for P2 and PUPs.

vantexan

I'm sorry , 90 I was thinking 3 months 30 day . 3 times 3 is 9. Sorry , my bad . i see what your saying on extended rte A6 areas wouldn't make sense. yes, the law that changed was basically 4 day drivers started getting ot at 8 instead of 10. And yes this was metro. Now i'm not all conspiracy like some people but let's just say es got pulled from us. go to ground whatever. A6 area would have no SO . P1 and see ya. Matter of fact SM asked me on a extended rte how many P1 do you average on a daily basis? Weird question yes, was thinking hmm, but its due at 1630 so who cares, never actually counted them. This was a few months ago. Around sept. Kinda strange right? This talk on here was the reason it even made me think hmm. I remember you saying you're a float, not trying to freak you or anything. Just trying to give my advice on OP. Saw it happen wasn't cool you feel me?

1630 P1 commit areas don't have SO, just next day, 2 and 3 day delivery. It doesn't appear they are going to have Ground take our 2 and 3 day from us. But a combination of more people switching to cheaper Ground as well as Ground being sold as a better alternative to our bulk shippers will reduce Express volume to the point we won't have 4X10 rts, even in extended areas. Eventually they'll restructure rts to where the 4X10's, including the cover driver who'll have his own rt, will be working 5X8's. Interesting what California is doing, but it's a labor friendly state. In business friendly, anti-union states it's unlikely we'll see OT after 8 hrs if on a 4X10 rt. No freaking here, just biding my time until retirement.

overflowed

hope you make your retirement buddy. in one piece. We all hope and pray for it. The cali thing is old news partner. Best to you.

SmithBarney

I see an advertizing blitz coming SO service anywhere in the US by 1200(or some other time) rather than 4:30 which I believe is our latest commit.