Which is the hardest of the 3? Loader, Unloader, or Sorter.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Don't load. If your center uses PAL labels then sorting isn't mental at all. I like unloading. At our center contrary to what another person said in this thread they send the really slow unloaders out to load trying to get them to quit >_>

That's interesting. The slow unloaders in the hub here are sent to do tapeups and help unload bulk. what a difference in mentality

dirty moose

Toward the end of my twilight work i was sorting my belt, my belt was the heaviest belt in the building by a lot.

Loading in that area was really hard i would avg 2000 scans a night.
I think i still hold the record with 4600 scans in one night.

Point being sorting was deff A LOT easier than loading, i loved sorting. There were 2 of us to sort the belt and we would just talk a bull :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: all night.

SoyFish

LOL the nite side here doesn't know what slow means. the twi on the other hand, i feel like im sorting a dead person when i work doubles.

I worked my first double the other day, and the twi definitly gets more scans when your loading, but seems like its a constant flow. On the night shift the going is slow then the belt gets hammered and everyones slide starts to jam up...you think they'd have some kind of system where each belt can get an even steady flow instead of having all the trucks being unloaded basically going to one belt. :whiteflag:

"sorting a dead person" that is a new one...

hyena

Wow, the unloader scans at my center the loader does nothing but load the trailer. Then you got smalls which we just added this position last peak and I took it. Ive done it all including preload and am now training for internationals. Id say smalls is probbably the easiest. And I also use sheets that tell me all the zips, I memorized most of the splits but theres still some I have to look up normally the 3days that go to Cach, ILL. Oh yea I also only have 7 different places I send to. How many do you other guys normally have?

Over_70_Takeoff

With the Unloader position, they want a steady pace but accuracy with label placement. A fast pace is preferred, but customers still want to track their packages when they arrive at the facility. However, inaccuracies with label scanning does not put the unloader at fault a small percentage of the time because of shipping labels being placed at the long ends/on the side/some other random position on a package that isn't compatible with the scanner location on the belt. Tote envelops, use load stands and communicate with your sorter if your an Unloader to what docking station you are going to next. Prepare to lose weight if you have a gut and lift 80+ lbs. by yourself on a daily basis. Best advice I can give.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I officially started working at UPS, but I have no clue which of the 3 jobs Im going to get. This is how I see the jobs in my opinion.

Loader - Has to scan and lift packages, then set them down and build walls. He must do this at a quick pace and must be able to lift up to 70lbs by him/herself.

Unloader - Doesnt have to scan, but must work at a quick pace. If a loader loads about 500 packages onto one truck, the unloader must unload at least 3 times that.

Sorter - Must sort packages and memorize a lot of stuff, but gets paid a dollar extra than the loaders/unloaders.

I know all of these are hard jobs, but which is the easiest of them all?
Move box point A to B, repeat. Maybe settle on a reasonable pace you can maintain everyday, the rest of your life, if you had to?

None of the jobs are easy, but the best one is probably unloading brownies on the PM shift. At least where you "start out".

gorilla75jdw

sorting - easiest , unloading - mid level , loading - hardest amongst the three . Senior employee of 20 years , done all 3 jobs , just my perspective . Either you can work all 3 and over time you can decide whats best for you , or you can take some 20 yr vets advice , I have no reason to lie , I dont care . Lol , your asking , Im telling , nuff said .The truth to the matter , easiest job inside the job is re-wrap then irregs , then sorting , overall easiest job on the premise of the yard at UPS by far is SHIFTING . If I only would have known how easy and the amunt of deadtime is on shifting , I would of been bidding on a shifter job in my first year .GOOD LUCK ,p.s. stay away from package , unless your young 20-30ish , go COMBO , til you can get to feeder or fulltime shifting . Thank me later .

packageguy

I officially started working at UPS, but I have no clue which of the 3 jobs Im going to get. This is how I see the jobs in my opinion.

Loader - Has to scan and lift packages, then set them down and build walls. He must do this at a quick pace and must be able to lift up to 70lbs by him/herself.

Unloader - Doesnt have to scan, but must work at a quick pace. If a loader loads about 500 packages onto one truck, the unloader must unload at least 3 times that.

Sorter - Must sort packages and memorize a lot of stuff, but gets paid a dollar extra than the loaders/unloaders.

So what your saying is you want the easiest job before you start
with a company, I can see you will not last, sounds like your lazy........

Clemsontigers81

Nostromo

It's not like you will be able to pick during orientation. They'll assign you to where ever they need a body.
Most package jobs will put your body in some discomfort for a short period of time.

Sent using Morse code

degill7994

I think sorting is harder. At least when I did it because you had to think about what you were doing and it is very repetitive. Don't get me wrong loading and unloading are hard but you are moving around and changing positions.

davidAz

Unloading is physically demanding, loading is a lot more mental. If u get hired as a preloader, lay off the bong rips to avoid misloads... trust me