Who put their UPS stub online? C’mon bro 🤦‍♀️…….

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Cops make more these days. They made 50k maybe 2 contracts ago.
They make a good chunk of their income on off-duty work. We were paying a state trooper to watch one of our off site lots on the weekends because people were ripping tires off our trailers. I talked to him one day and said he was being paid from 6am-6pm at $70/hr.

Zowert

Hmm. It also looks like he may not withholding enough federal (unless he has a kid or other credits coming).

And no stock purchases?

A driver could easily earn a share a week and retire with 1,300 shares. Dividends alone would be $8,400 annually.
Actually from my math he’s withholding the exact amount needed in his tax bracket. He won’t get a tax return but he won’t owe the IRS either. That’s kinda smooth, don’t give the government a 0% interest loan.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Actually from my math he’s withholding the exact amount needed in his tax bracket. He won’t get a tax return but he won’t owe the IRS either. That’s kinda smooth, don’t give the government a 0% interest loan.
I never wanted to get a big tax return, break even or pay a little at the end.

Zowert

I never wanted to get a big tax return, break even or pay a little at the end.
I’m not going to lie, it took me way too long to figure this out. I used to get relatively large tax returns and think it was awesome. One day I was talking to an accountant at a bar and we got to talking about taxes. He said I was a fool for withholding more than necessary because that’s money I could be investing or gaining interest on in a savings account. I still withhold a little more than I should but I’m afraid of the IRS. I don’t want them kicking my door in and shooting my dog over $500.

MattM

Care to share the math?
I used last years numbers to estimate:
Single
$75,269 minus the standard deduction gives a marginal tax % of 22% on $62,000. Taxes owed would be $9200 range. He’s only withheld $6500

Now if he’s married he would owe $5200, and would get a $1300 refund

MattM

How many drivers do you guys know who does stocks, does an independent IRA, or the provided 401k with empower? I’m wondering how fiscally responsible some of these high rollers are with the company. This guy doesn’t have any deductions other than union dues. Is this the norm or exception I wonder.

Among my PT coworkers, I feel 4-5 out of a hundred actually does any bit of investing. It’s shocking really

K20A

Even combo guys at $38.69 make more than most ppl with degrees and all you do is put stickers on boxes (clerk).

BobJ

Even combo guys at $38.69 make more than most ppl with degrees and all you do is put stickers on boxes (clerk).
It takes skill to place a sticker where it blocks addresses and bar codes at the same time.

Also, being able to spot a SurePost so we can cover the USPS tags takes a lot of hand/eye coordination.

Trucker Clock

Fool not investing any money for tomorrow? Must be in the Central.

Nope.

He's in the West. Doesn't need any added investments to be able to retire comfortably with the Wests' huge pensions. In the Central, we need IRA's, 401K's and savings, along with our pension, just to get what the West gets in a pension alone.

BobJ

Nope.

He's in the West. Doesn't need any added investments to be able to retire comfortably with the Wests' huge pensions. In the Central, we need IRA's, 401K's and savings, along with our pension, just to get what the West gets in a pension alone.

It's hazard pay for having to step over the homeless people.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Nope.

Time to fire the pension management. Let the west team run things.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Nope.

Those bastards

Commercial Inside Release

His lack of proper withholding might be due to a lot of missed days... like a few weeks layoff.
Actual withholding is determined by charts that correspond with the pay period.

This is why overtime pay meets a point of diminishing returns around the 7-8hrs OT... Because the OT kicks you into a higher tax bracket for that week. Happens with MRAs, too. They'll get it back in the form of a tax return, despite spending hours wrangling the right withholding allowances.

Welcome to the screwed up American tax code. Flat tax, now!

Thebrownblob

And you know that how? You can fund your retirement without using the 401k.
There are other investment opportunities although the 401(k) is pretty easy and convenient and it’s pretty common if they’re not doing that they’re probably not doing anything. At least that’s been my experience.