Who put their UPS stub online? C’mon bro 🤦‍♀️…….

Over70irregs

Nope.

He's in the West. Doesn't need any added investments to be able to retire comfortably with the Wests' huge pensions. In the Central, we need IRA's, 401K's and savings, along with our pension, just to get what the West gets in a pension alone.
With spouse and cost of living increasing you need more than pension.

ManInBrown

Anyone have any insight into this? In the beginning of the year I was paying roughly 29%-32% in total withholdings weekly of course based on weekly pay. I check every week. For about the last 2-3 months every week its no more than 28% no matter how much OT. I’ve never seen that before. Did I meet some threshold where I’ve paid a certain amount already so it’s been automatically knocked down? I can’t imagine that’s the case.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Actually from my math he’s withholding the exact amount needed in his tax bracket. He won’t get a tax return but he won’t owe the IRS either. That’s kinda smooth, don’t give the government a 0% interest loan.
That’s the goal. But tbh I rather give a little more than owe. It gets hard calculating the proper withholding since the hours are never consistent.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
I never wanted to get a big tax return, break even or pay a little at the end.
I’m not going to lie, it took me way too long to figure this out. I used to get relatively large tax returns and think it was awesome. One day I was talking to an accountant at a bar and we got to talking about taxes. He said I was a fool for withholding more than necessary because that’s money I could be investing or gaining interest on in a savings account. I still withhold a little more than I should but I’m afraid of the IRS. I don’t want them kicking my door in and shooting my dog over $500.

Trucker Clock

With spouse and cost of living increasing you need more than pension.

Not really. If you have everything paid off before you retire, you can live comfortably on the pension in the West. Unless you are an overtime whore, you'll collect almost as much as when you were working.

Add Social Security... and you will be making the same retired as working.

Zowert

Care to share the math?
I used last years numbers to estimate:
Single
$75,269 minus the standard deduction gives a marginal tax % of 22% on $62,000. Taxes owed would be $9200 range. He’s only withheld $6500

Now if he’s married he would owe $5200, and would get a $1300 refund
Going off what I made as a joint filer last year, I had about the same being deducted. Made just a tad over $100k and got a whopping $300 return.

MattM

Good catch - I was too busy thinking what a tool to post a paystub and missed they idiocy of not contributing to the 401K.
It’s absurd.
A 10% (at minimum) tax break that tends to grow at 10% annually and they are somehow happy with a $1,000 tax refund thinking the government is giving them free money. Free money are these tax credits and breaks.

I just realized the vast majority in America don’t know how taxes here work.

I tried to get a buddy who was PT just out of college who was getting by at $19,000/year. He refused to take part in the retirement savings program. Instead he would claim zero, have an extra $30 withheld out of each paycheck, and would essentially get a $1500 tax rebate come tax time.

What could’ve been was him using that extra $30 that was withheld and throw it in a 401k. By years end he would have a near $1,000 tax credit offsetting any liability

The first guy is saving zero, getting $30 less per paycheck, but getting back about $1200 (after owing nearly $400 in taxes)

Person 2 is getting more every week and also getting a $750 tax credit

Never give the government free interest for a year ( withholding too much)

Then again, I don’t feel the teamsters or union or ups truly mentions we even have a 401k available at ups. It’s true they don’t match but the tax breaks along with the index fund growth is free money.

Over70irregs

Not really. If you have everything paid off before you retire, you can live comfortably on the pension in the West. Unless you are an overtime whore, you'll collect almost as much as when you were working.

Add Social Security... and you will be making the same retired as working.
Have you checked the spousal pension options?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Then again, I don’t feel the teamsters or union or ups truly mentions we even have a 401k available at ups.

Section 3. Tax Deferred Savings Plan 401(k)

"The Employer and the Union agree to continue the Teamster UPS National 401(k) Tax Deferred Savings Plan. The Employer shall pay the record-keeping expense for the Plan.

It is further agreed, by the Union and the Employer, that the Employer shall withhold from an employee’s earnings, amounts mutually agreed between the Employer and the employee, and deposit such monies into a 401(k) account in the employee’s name in compliance with the Internal Revenue Code and E.R.I.S.A.This Plan will be jointly administered by the Union and the Employer."

It's not like it isn't in the contract.... people need to realize the Union is not a babysitter.