Why am I doing more work than everyone else?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
First of all a preferred job is sorting. again read the contract. Management does not have the right to give the postions out, they are done by seniority. again talk to a steward. not trying to be mean when i say this, but if you don't stand up for your rights they will walk all over you and then you will not have nothing. you come to this board looking for suggestions and it was given and now it is up to you to put the action forward no can do this but you. good luck.
Preferred job is pickoff (HV/LV), PRELOAD, sort aisle.

Notcool

Same thing happening to me right now. I am doing two trucks that get hit all night at the same time and I can't possibly be in both at once. They just let it back out till I get over the the next one. While everyone else on the belt does one truck and gets a re-spot. So I stopped going to the other truck and let the sup handle it. They can't say anything and wont as long as your pph is at a decent rate. Shame on you for having a strong work ethic. That will diminish after a while at ups. You learn to play the game and to survive.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Months ago, I didn't think I'd be posting this but I need opinions right now. I used to have a "preferred" inside job. I did my job fast, safely and took pride in the quality of my work. Somewhere along the line I must have pist someone off, because shortly after I was moved to loading. With ZERO training other than trial and error on my own part and picking things up from other loaders I was placed with, I became a respectable loader. I had a strong work ethic, and remained excited to come in and give my "best". This must have been obvious, because shortly after I began loading, I was moved to a harder area of the building. The volume is much greater, and the people are long time loaders. I was moved to a series of trucks in particular. These are the trucks that receive the bottom belt of a sort isle. Therefore, everything and anything that comes is a HEAVY package. If not heavy, odd shaped. 99% of the time it is both. My enthusiasm continued though and I worked hard. At the end of the night, I'd be the last one there to do wraps, pick up and make sure everything was OK in the area.

Fast forward 8 months. I have seen 3 people that they have put in my truck daily quit. Everyone else they have tried to put in has somehow managed to get out and go back to their light load or sort job. I see a face for a day or two and then they are gone. Everyone I run into tells me no one wants to touch this truck with a 10 foot pole. They simply cannot get anyone besides me to play the role of sucker and subject themselves to it. The consensus is, this is the load they put you in when they want you to quit.

Over the months, I've gone from being enthused to come into work and do a good job, to just barely pulling myself in. I absolutely am disgusted knowing full well I am in the ONE TRUCK out of DOZENS on the sort that needs to deal with packages that are ALWAYS between 50 and 70 lbs. Some below 50 (30-40lb occasionally), and more than I'd like to think above 70 lbs. I am in good shape. I've always taken care of myself , but this is starting to wear and wear big on me. I am not sure if my body can't keep up with the caloric needs or if I am just severely burnt out, but I find myself coming home and sleeping most of the night. When I wake up, I am just DEAD. Not even sore, just DEAD. I don't want to do ANYTHING physical. I just can't.

I look at other people and I have no problem doing more work than others. I did before I came in this heavy load anyway. I am a hard worker. And they are taking advantage of this in a big way. But when I am having to do more work than everyone else in the fashion I am, for this long, when other people are in a regular load dealing with regular packages, I have a problem. When I can no longer go to the gym, and lead a normal life because I am leaving my soul behind in their "hell hole" truck, I have a bigger issue. I need opinions on what I can do. It is obvious they aren't moving me out anymore on their own and I am done bending over. Flow is incredible from start to finish, everything is obnoxiously heavy, my body is shot.
HelloWorld,

Several years ago I was talking with a young, up and coming part-time supervisor.

When asked what his goals were with UPS he boldly stated, "I want to be the CEO some day".

He had a military background and he was very stern and firm with his workers.

He also was very smart and very kind!

He always correctly rewarded his superior workers with the easier jobs.

You would always find his fastest, hardest workers sorting smalls, doing retapes and other less strenuous jobs as a reward for their superior effort.

One day his full time supervisor confronted him on this and said "If you don't think you are going to jump on the backs of your good workers and ride them then you will not have a future at this company".

He only lasted about a month after this confrontation. He quit.

His full time supervisor was a very mean, unhappy person. Last I heard she was still with the company.

Sincerely,
I

UPSGUY72

First of all a preferred job is sorting. again read the contract. Management does not have the right to give the postions out, they are done by seniority. again talk to a steward. not trying to be mean when i say this, but if you don't stand up for your rights they will walk all over you and then you will not have nothing. you come to this board looking for suggestions and it was given and now it is up to you to put the action forward no can do this but you. good luck.

Preferred job is pickoff (HV/LV), PRELOAD, sort aisle.

Some building don't have preferred jobs becasue everyone starts at the same pay rate.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Where is that in the contract? If you want someone to read it you should give them someplacr to look.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Same thing happening to me right now. I am doing two trucks that get hit all night at the same time and I can't possibly be in both at once. They just let it back out till I get over the the next one. While everyone else on the belt does one truck and gets a re-spot. So I stopped going to the other truck and let the sup handle it. They can't say anything and wont as long as your pph is at a decent rate. Shame on you for having a strong work ethic. That will diminish after a while at ups. You learn to play the game and to survive.

Shame on you for allowing a sup to do bargaining unit work and not filing a grievance on him!!

Krandy11

I was in the same situation...I started as an unloader and outworked everyone to the point that I couldnt find anyone that wanted to sort me and it felt good to be relied upon the first couple of months but pretty soon it became really annoying when I had to do my workload+the work of some lazy ass. About 3 months in I made the decision to become a sorter because I was sick of being used and doing such mindless/robotic work. I passed my test and waited like 2 months and every other week I would ask when I could sort but I would hear every excuse in the book, so I just gradually slowed down my work and one day while I was unloading, my sup. called me out of the truck and told me I was being moved to the sort aisle permanently. You just have to put your foot down with these people or they'll walk all over you.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Months ago, I didn't think I'd be posting this but I need opinions right now. I used to have a "preferred" inside job. I did my job fast, safely and took pride in the quality of my work. Somewhere along the line I must have pist someone off, because shortly after I was moved to loading. With ZERO training other than trial and error on my own part and picking things up from other loaders I was placed with, I became a respectable loader. I had a strong work ethic, and remained excited to come in and give my "best". This must have been obvious, because shortly after I began loading, I was moved to a harder area of the building. The volume is much greater, and the people are long time loaders. I was moved to a series of trucks in particular. These are the trucks that receive the bottom belt of a sort isle. Therefore, everything and anything that comes is a HEAVY package. If not heavy, odd shaped. 99% of the time it is both. My enthusiasm continued though and I worked hard. At the end of the night, I'd be the last one there to do wraps, pick up and make sure everything was OK in the area.

Fast forward 8 months. I have seen 3 people that they have put in my truck daily quit. Everyone else they have tried to put in has somehow managed to get out and go back to their light load or sort job. I see a face for a day or two and then they are gone. Everyone I run into tells me no one wants to touch this truck with a 10 foot pole. They simply cannot get anyone besides me to play the role of sucker and subject themselves to it. The consensus is, this is the load they put you in when they want you to quit.

Over the months, I've gone from being enthused to come into work and do a good job, to just barely pulling myself in. I absolutely am disgusted knowing full well I am in the ONE TRUCK out of DOZENS on the sort that needs to deal with packages that are ALWAYS between 50 and 70 lbs. Some below 50 (30-40lb occasionally), and more than I'd like to think above 70 lbs. I am in good shape. I've always taken care of myself , but this is starting to wear and wear big on me. I am not sure if my body can't keep up with the caloric needs or if I am just severely burnt out, but I find myself coming home and sleeping most of the night. When I wake up, I am just DEAD. Not even sore, just DEAD. I don't want to do ANYTHING physical. I just can't.

I look at other people and I have no problem doing more work than others. I did before I came in this heavy load anyway. I am a hard worker. And they are taking advantage of this in a big way. But when I am having to do more work than everyone else in the fashion I am, for this long, when other people are in a regular load dealing with regular packages, I have a problem. When I can no longer go to the gym, and lead a normal life because I am leaving my soul behind in their "hell hole" truck, I have a bigger issue. I need opinions on what I can do. It is obvious they aren't moving me out anymore on their own and I am done bending over. Flow is incredible from start to finish, everything is obnoxiously heavy, my body is shot.

I was a clerk for 4 years until I came back from having a disk removed from my neck. Then I was made a loader at the head of the belt with 4 trucks and split most of the time. And people wonder why I have the attitude that I do.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
One of the biggest challenges faced by any long-term UPS'er is in drawing healthy boundaries.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a hard working, productive employee. The problem starts when you cross the line from being a hard worker (which is good) to enabling an unhealthy or unsafe situation to continue (which is not good).

Sometimes our own egos are to blame because we are unwilling to ask for or demand help when needed. Other times, the expectations that UPS places upon us in a particular situation are simply not realistic.

So with the best of intentions, we give 150% and find a way to accomplish the impossible...only to discover that the impossible gradually becomes the norm. In the eyes of the company we did it once, so we should be able to do it again. And again, and again, and again.

There comes a point where the only way to make the company correct an impossible situation is by allowing it to fail. Once the consequences of that failure become too painful to ignore, those responsible will be forced to make the necessary changes. Until then, it will continue to be business as usual.

The line between "good employee" and "enabler" is a very faint and fuzzy one that can be almost impossible to avoid crossing from time to time.

JonFrum

. . . everything and anything that comes is a HEAVY package. If not heavy, odd shaped. 99% of the time it is both.

. . . packages that are ALWAYS between 50 and 70 lbs. Some below 50 (30-40lb occasionally), and more than I'd like to think above 70 lbs.

. . . Flow is incredible from start to finish, everything is obnoxiously heavy, my body is shot.

You have the right to bid on any available job (new or vacant) as stated in Article 22, Section 4. Any job you like is a "perferred" job. Although only some jobs will pay the extra dollar an hour.
- - - -
Another way to tackle your problem might be to determine if the tractor-trailer you're loading is over the federal weight limit. Perhaps a feeder driver or supervisor with more knowledge than I can address this issue. My understanding is the entire rig may not exceed 80,000 pounds, and there are other weight limitations per axle, at the couppling point, and if the rig will be going over a bridge.

Check the sticker on the outside nose of the trailer for weight data.

If you scan each package, check to see how many total packages you loaded in each trailer.

You can have the Union report the matter to UPS and/or the Government if your calculations indicate that any vehicle is illegally overloaded.

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/sw/overview/index.htm

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/sw/index.htm

JonFrum

very few of our trailers are ever found to be overweight. Overweight fines are normally assessed by states and not DOT. Your post here is encouraging someone to stir up some crap in an area where we rarely have an issue.

the browncafe gods here should delete your post for being misguided. but of course they wont as long as no one complains.....:)

Most UPS trailers are not weighed in the first place.

If ever there was a series of trailers that were candidates for checking, based on the Original Poster's information, this series of trailers should be at the top of the list.

State laws must be compatible with federal law. If you give me the state the original poster works in, and the state(s) the trailers will travel through, we can select the specific laws that may be broken and the precise dollar fines that may be imposed.

Maybe we should wait until the Original Poster gets back to us on the estimated weight of the trailers he is loading before jumping to any conclusions.

I'm guessing you are the only one that will call for my post to be deleted.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I know of a few brown trucks that have gone out with the tires rubbing. The truck that delivers the schwan's catalogs, for one. That is until the driver started saying he was overweight, and he refused the load. After that, the catalogs were loaded on a separate truck and shuttled out.

Boza

I've been there before. In may case I worked so much harder than everyone else that I strained my lower back and I was in my early twenties at the time.

It's the classic case at ups. The better you are the more you get. This especially goes with driving.

Best way to get worked pulled off is talk to your pt sup. If he doesn't take a truck off or get help or help himself then SLOW DOWN. Look out for your body and piece of mind. There not gonna do it for you.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I couldve, heck we all probably could write something similar to the OP. Sure, I enjoy doing what Im doing, the problem is that UPS enjoys the fact I enjoy what Im doing. Thats where it becomes a problem. And no one is better at creating problems then UPS.

To thee accord, the union doesnt discern relativity to production issues. So then what does that mean? Well, no matter if your fast or slow, the issue is a non-issue. Thus the union hurts the person who wants to be a hard worker. UPS abuses them and doesnt reward them at all. The union can protect you, but work ethic isnt in their vocabulary.

Heres a striking statement you can say or think about. UPS has a hard enough time keep people around, especially new hires, yet the ones who are crazy enough to stay around they treat like crap. Now what kind of winning policy is that? UPS has had a lot of hard workers come and go. I've seen many go, and i've been around for a little over 3 years.

You know, I know theres people getting less then you and I. It will stir inside of you and promote a sleeping rage within. It will, as you said, tear your body up quickly, and if your looking to make UPS a career, then those things should come first. Not what they want as of now.

You should be thinking now, UPS for me has been promoting unfair working standerds.

packagemandan

perhaps you should reevaluate your dedication? The company will burn you out if given the opportunity, slow your work pace and if you have enough seniority get the heck out of that position. You only have one back, they have millions of pachages.

detel555

they move you around more because you let them. they give you the heaviest loads because you are capable. Pass the sort test and get the hell out of there