Why do we pay people to negotiate a contract?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS is an especially malicious company and fires people for things that would get you lesser discipline at many other employers.
You can accidentally screw up somehow and where management might understand at other companies,

you're fired from UPS and need the union to help get your job back.

It's almost like they have this "song and dance" all choreographed. :biting:

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Yes......now the company will be wonderful again that I've gone. It's amazing how I single handedly dragged this multi-billion dollar company down in the short time I was there sorting smalls. I'm sorry everybody, please forgive me. And while I'm at it I won't be shipping weekly with UPS anymore so you won't get that bad karma from my packages either. Later asshats, you can all go :censored2: yourselves now.
Don't give yourself that much credit. I surely didn't. You are/were just a small piece of a larger problem. Seems as though you are still consumed with the place ,though. Otherwise why would you still care enough to come on here and post? Move on and try to find something that makes you happy instead of just coming on here and trying to stir the pot.

Broke

The longer I'm a steward the more I wonder why we, (union and company), pay alot of people alot of money to negotiate a contract that neither side wants to abide by. There seems to be alot of grey area interpreted in by the company and the union allows it. Everything is written in black and white but this manager believes it means this and that manager believes it means that. The union won't stand with you unless it affects the chosen few. Get alot of, "gotta pick your battles with this economy and all...", "be glad you have a job...", "we have a local agreement on that..". Situations that are clearly addressed in the contract are not handled as the contract states and we get no backing from the union. People are clearly being wronged and the BA makes a deal with the company. I don't get it. The top guys don't care because it doesn't affect them. The guys in the middle don't want to "make any waves". And the guys on the bottom are left holding the bag. Thought the whole idea of a union was solidarity. We're all paying dues and should all be awarded the same rights.
I invite you to come over and work at Fedex Express for a while and you will see pretty quick what the union actually does for you.Most of us make about half of what you make and would love to have someone representing us on the job.So go ahead and vote the union out and take that $15 an hour paycut, loose your pension and start paying $200 a month plus a co-pay for your insurance.Oh yeah, we don't have any type of grievience process over here either, if you screw up and they want to fire you, they can.

guzzi71

Can do it when I get around to it.
Broke,
I have many good friends who work at FedX Express,your numbers are off try 5$ an hour less,are able to transfer,free airplane rides.Congress just passed a bill to make it easier for Fedexers to unionize.Now let's see who steps up to the plate to make that happen.Then you can state how wonderful things are,Jimmy Hoffa will love you to death,he fluffs Mike Eskew's pillow every night for him just before they turn off the lights.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Broke,
I have many good friends who work at FedX Express,your numbers are off try 5$ an hour less,are able to transfer,free airplane rides.Congress just passed a bill to make it easier for Fedexers to unionize.Now let's see who steps up to the plate to make that happen.Then you can state how wonderful things are,Jimmy Hoffa will love you to death,he fluffs Mike Eskew's pillow every night for him just before they turn off the lights.[/QUOTE]
Eskew retired about a year ago! ROOKIE

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Broke,
I have many good friends who work at FedX Express,your numbers are off try 5$ an hour less,are able to transfer,free airplane rides.Congress just passed a bill to make it easier for Fedexers to unionize.Now let's see who steps up to the plate to make that happen.Then you can state how wonderful things are,Jimmy Hoffa will love you to death,he fluffs Mike Eskew's pillow every night for him just before they turn off the lights.
Eskew retired about a year ago! ROOKIE
lol :happy-very: