Why So Many New Ground Trailers?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Perhaps if you were to fill your trucks up a bit more. The pay might increase. There is no way Express pay should be comparable to UPS pay.

Sorry....that is the truth.

If I drive twice as many miles as you and deliver 75% as many pkgs, who works harder? Sorry, but having a fuller truck doesn't equate to harder work when your area is significantly smaller than your FedEx counterpart. Things have changed since you were there. While I still think that the UPS driver does work harder in most cases, the compensation gap is way too wide.

How about RTD vs Feeder pay? I've done both jobs, and being a Feeder driver was much less physical than being an RTD. The heaviest object I ever had to handle with Feeders was a converter dolly. I don't see UPS truckers pushing AMJ's....the handlers do it.

tieguy

Banned

The package was in town early that morning and they weren't planning on delivering it until monday morning? why would you let it sit at the destination that long?

SmithBarney

If I drive twice as many miles as you and deliver 75% as many pkgs, who works harder? Sorry, but having a fuller truck doesn't equate to harder work when your area is significantly smaller than your FedEx counterpart. Things have changed since you were there. While I still think that the UPS driver does work harder in most cases, the compensation gap is way too wide.

Having actually worked for both(within the last century(4years)) I can tell you
absolutely that Expess Couriers shouldn't make what UPS drivers make based on
work load. I can honestly say that top rates are fair, what isn't fair is it
can take upwards of 15 years to top out. How does a company expect to keep
employees loyal, honest and hard working if they can't keep them around.

I was a coverage driver at UPS no real regular route. and I can say
without a doubt the easiest route I ran at UPS was twice as hard
as any route I've run at FedEx.

Here is a good comparison
Easy Route at UPS 80 Stops/ 250-300 miles/ 10 hours(+1 lunch)
Regular Route at FEDEX 80 stops/45 miles/ 8 hours(+1 lunch)
Comparable Route at UPS 260 Stops, 400 pieces, 25 miles, 8 hours
(Comparable UPS route geographically)
Current Route at FedEx 40 Stops/35 miles <7hrs

Now if we were paid based on Revenue, Express should make tons more
most of the letters we deliver cost $25-40 to ship Standard Overnight.
Doing rough math(really rough) estimate 40 pieces @ $25 ($1000)
that is not including heavy boxes, internationals, etc...

New Englander

How about RTD vs Feeder pay? I've done both jobs, and being a Feeder driver was much less physical than being an RTD. The heaviest object I ever had to handle with Feeders was a converter dolly. I don't see UPS truckers pushing AMJ's....the handlers do it.

First of all...you don't drive TWICE as many miles. I've worked for both don't forget. Both as in same area as well. Thats the biggest misunderstanding out there by you guys. You do drive more miles but not nearly as much as you think you do.

WE drive on nearly every road in our area's in comparison to you guys. So we rack up MORE miles in much less area. These miles are at a lower rate of speed then travelling to a new town. So while you may do more miles it's not comparable as every mile is not the same.

Trust me here.....the pay is absolutely where it should be in regards to FedEx and UPS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
First of all...you don't drive TWICE as many miles. I've worked for both don't forget. Both as in same area as well. Thats the biggest misunderstanding out there by you guys. You do drive more miles but not nearly as much as you think you do.

WE drive on nearly every road in our area's in comparison to you guys. So we rack up MORE miles in much less area. These miles are at a lower rate of speed then travelling to a new town. So while you may do more miles it's not comparable as every mile is not the same.

Trust me here.....the pay is absolutely where it should be in regards to FedEx and UPS.

I like Fredly's answer better than yours. If you are "topped-out" at FedEx, then I'll agree that the pay per hour inequity isn't that big of a deal, but aren't you forgetting benefits? Plus,as he mentions, it takes about 10-12 years to top-out, depending on your review scores. I'm guessing you're at around $28.00 per hour, so if the 3-year FedEx courier in your area is making $16.00 per hr, do you work that much harder? If you figure in your pension plan vs. our non-plan then the total compensation disparity looks even worse. Don't look at it from just the one dimension. Also, I know plenty of FedEx routes that have 4 or 5 UPS drivers covering the same territory, particularly in semi-rural or rural areas. In town, the difference is much smaller.

And what about Feeder pay vs FedEx RTD? You didn't answer that one.

New Englander

I like Fredly's answer better than yours. If you are "topped-out" at FedEx, then I'll agree that the pay per hour inequity isn't that big of a deal, but aren't you forgetting benefits? Plus,as he mentions, it takes about 10-12 years to top-out, depending on your review scores. I'm guessing you're at around $28.00 per hour, so if the 3-year FedEx courier in your area is making $16.00 per hr, do you work that much harder? If you figure in your pension plan vs. our non-plan then the total compensation disparity looks even worse. Don't look at it from just the one dimension. Also, I know plenty of FedEx routes that have 4 or 5 UPS drivers covering the same territory, particularly in semi-rural or rural areas. In town, the difference is much smaller.

Listen....don't back peddle now that you obviously don't have anyone to agree with you.

You mentioned about the gap in the pay. You didn't mention anything else. It's easy to go back now and say "well lets look at something different."

Yes your progression sucks. I left due to the pay. I started at UPS at more then I left FedEx at after nearly 4 years since I started as a Courier/Handler at $10.40hr to start.

Bottom line. The difference in both of our top pay is EASILY understandable and warranted. Now if and when Express AND ground merge if you Express guys still have a job you then have a beef to make it a bit closer.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
First off, if you've read any of my previous posts, (and I know you have), I'm not advocating for equal pay,but equitable pay, which would have to include benefits (aka retirement etc). Hardly anyone ever agrees with me here, so I really don't give a crap about your opinion.

Whatever you think you "know" about FedEx, your knowledge isn't current because you've been gone for awhile. When I say it's tightened-up, I really mean it, and to say that you work soooo much harder is BS. They are squeezing the orange very tightly to get all the juice, and it goes way beyond anything you experienced even 5 years ago at Express. If you think that you're worth $12.00 per hour more than the FedEx guy (excluding benefits), then you must really have a high opinion of yourself. Here's a reality check for you: You're a high-speed box monkey, just like me, and I'm working just as hard as you are, IF you consider the on-call factor, the split-shift factor, and my wider area factor. We're never going to agree, but you're not that talented to deserve that much of a pay premium over your FedEx contemporary.

New Englander

What does talent have to do with it?
We physically work harder. Sorry but it's true.
Split-shift factor? Thanks for showing us how hard you guys are working now!

Perhaps you could leave for Brown as well? Seems like it would fix all your problems.

FedEx All the Way!

It probably wasn't answered because we all forgot - you know it all!!!!!!!!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What does talent have to do with it?
We physically work harder. Sorry but it's true.
Split-shift factor? Thanks for showing us how hard you guys are working now!

Perhaps you could leave for Brown as well? Seems like it would fix all your problems.

I've never said you don't "physically work harder"...you do. What I am saying is that the pay gap isn't equitable. Nobody at FedEx expects to be making what UPS does, but we do want a fairer pay scale, starting with reduced top-out times. I'd be happy with our current top-out rates, but only if they brought back the retirement plan.

I'm too old to switch over to UPS, but I would if I were younger...you made a smart move. FedEx has never had the pounding physical demands of UPS in most cases, but we do run our asses off all day long. You guys go in and out of the package car many more times than your FedEx counterpart. My point is that we work hard too, and it's plenty stressful trying to be at 10 pickups who have all made on-calls for 1600 before they close on you. You're probably in and out of your car 5 times for every 2 times I am, but at least you can do your route in a linear logical fashion because so many of your pickups are house stops.

Add-in route consolidations, positive-pull, and all the other BS, and most every day is a major grind, just like UPS.

And what about Feeder pay? Our RTD guys actually do more physical work than your Feeder guys do...many even deliver after they do their run.

Testicular Fortitude

Mr Fedex, I am one in agreement with you.Arguing with Fedex all the way is like either of us having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.In one of her previous posts she stated her husband was in upper management and the people in his department respected him.This means he is either in a corporate office,call center or dispatch office somewhere.This means neither of them have any actual knowledge of life in the trenches.Fedex couriers who have not made top pay will never I repeat NEVER, ATTAIN TOP PAY with Fedex Express.Currently the hourly pay for a UPS delivery driver is 5 to 7 dollars per hour more than their rival Fedex courier in the northeast.One of Fred Smiths broken promises to us that are pay would be comparable to the pay at UPS,5 to 7 dollar difference is not comparable.In my delivery area there are 3 UPS routes,I agree they do deliver more packages than we do but they are not under the time restraints we are under,delivery stops per hour and doing early close pick ups.

New Englander

While we agree on the length of progression.

There is absolutely no way you Express drivers should make near what we do. You can honestly believe our sporh is higher then yours. You can honestly believe at our pay rate the expectations of us are higher as well. Plain and simple we are doing much more work in our day then you guys are. You spend far more time driving then we do.

What makes you think we don't have early close pick ups?

Now if it happens like I think someday.....Express gets merged with ground. You may have a point to bring the pay a bit closer.

Till that happens enjoy what you have.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
While we agree on the length of progression.

There is absolutely no way you Express drivers should make near what we do. You can honestly believe our sporh is higher then yours. You can honestly believe at our pay rate the expectations of us are higher as well. Plain and simple we are doing much more work in our day then you guys are. You spend far more time driving then we do.

What makes you think we don't have early close pick ups?

Now if it happens like I think someday.....Express gets merged with ground. You may have a point to bring the pay a bit closer.

Till that happens enjoy what you have.

The difference is not what it used to be, and the average Express courier works nearly as hard as a UPS driver. Wider areas, a much higher percentage of on-calls vs house stops, and less time to perform the actual work make for a very concentrated day. If you need to, you can stay out until 8 pm delivering. I need to be back by 1745 or my outbound misses the plane. I'm not given the option to get caught-up.

Once again, I'm not advocating for equal pay, so I'm not sure where you're not understanding. Equitable pay means a more realistic wage and benefit pkg than what we are currently receiving. How much more clear can I make it for you?

NJ12hrday

Working at Fed-Ex is like doing saturday air at UPS. I know of 2 now Fed-Ex drivers that worked in my center for about 8 yrs and thy said its like a vaction. I'm not trying to say anything bad a bout fedex drivers, but this is what they told me. They said rarely do they see heavy pkgs, its mostly envelopes and barely any pickups. They told me never is a truck "blown out". They are allways getting paid waiting at meetpoints. And its way less stressful. They said they would love to get paid more but it is less work. They compare it to code 5 air-only days. This is in north Jersey not the boondocks.

Testicular Fortitude

They must be at a very small station in a very rural area NJ12 HOUR DAY.That is not the case at any Fedex A station.An A station is the biggest an busiest stations.Dont believe all they are telling you.I also know people who work at UPS that deliver in the same area that I deliver in,a large city.They only have to deliver a certain amount of stops everyday with the exception of Christmas time.They have told me numerous times that Fedex is much worse than UPS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm going to agree with TesticularFortitude, and say that in an urban station/center where everyone drives a walk-in, there isn't much of a difference. I'm in a FedEx station with 100+ routes, and it runs just like a UPS center, including having 5 straight trucks just to do bulk stops. You do more physical work because your routes are tighter and you have more pkgs, which also means you're in and out of the package car more often. But in a big city location, it's pretty close. I get planty of 100# pkgs and a bunch of 150# stuff every day, and my truck is 100% bulked-out every day(W-900).

Bottom line is we are underpaid relative to UPS, especially when you include benefits(or lack thereof) in the equation. NewEnglander aside, the rest of you have no point of reference because you have not worked at Express, especially now that the screws have been tightened all the way.

It sucks...badly.