Will the next DIAD be the size of a smart phone?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Grey, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Grey

Grey Active Member

[​IMG]

Based on history pattern... Are we thinking 2020?

2. wornoutupser

wornoutupser Active Member

That is a good question...BUT- I miss the older DIAD 3 and DIAD 4. I have a rural run and they were great defense against dogs!

3. KOG72

KOG72 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have a place on it to slide a credit card

4. Grey

Grey Active Member

DIAD I looks ridiculous. I think I'd rather do paper.

5. AirOnTrace

AirOnTrace Allergic to cardboard.

God I hope not. The V is the perfect size imo, and seemingly indestructible.

6. jaker

jaker trolling

True , just do some better button placement

7. rod

rod retired and happy

But you could throw it under the tires for traction if you got stuck.

8. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

Paper sucked in the cold or the rain. Delivered a lot less parcels a day though.

9. DOK

DOK Active Member

Much smaller would be difficult to read the screen I would think, buttons shouldn't get much smaller than they are now either imo, wearing gloves would be tough if they were much smaller.

10. Ms.PacMan

Ms.PacMan Well-Known Member

Buttons is really the answer to the question. We really need the tactile feel to a button vs. a flat screen.

11. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

Do you really think the engineers in the Ivory Tower, where it never rains, freezes, sleets or snows care what you think/need?

12. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

The DIAD III was all around horrible.

Would still like my red stylus back.

13. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

We have been testing these in our center for awhile now, a little harder to work with than previous versions, almost going backwards, but then again, did you expect anything different?
    image.jpeg

14. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

You're not going to see smart phone like DIAD's. That would be completely impractical for all the requirements it has. It will likely remain about the same height and width but slim down slightly and get lighter. It's a real estate issue. For the job, you need tactile physical buttons and a screen big enough for customers to sign. The durability requirement will keep it a lot more bulky over most modern electronics as well. The battery needs to be capable of a good 12 hour day at least too.

15. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

I would like to see a smart phone style with a bluetooth ring scanner.

16. Fragile

Fragile Active Member

DHL uses some sort of smart phone scanner. Looks annoying to deal with especially with our volume.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. rpoz11

rpoz11 Member

Looks similar to an iPhone.

Based upon OLD WINDOWS CE software in diad, I wonder what direction they would go

18. Northbaypkg

Northbaypkg 20 NDA stops daily

Have you guys seen the Amazon same day delivery folks yet? Looks like they use smart phones to confirm a delivery. I'm guessing the phones are provided by Amazon and not actually the employees personal phone.

19. Tick Toc

Tick Toc Member

I would want a QWERTY keyboard if nothing else

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  20. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Trouble with smaller is that keys get smaller and harder to see. Small means easier to lose as well, like when it falls on you into the load for example.