Flavor of the Month: Following Trace

PPH_over_9000

Mandate came down two weeks ago, we need to follow 90% trace or better for whatever reason. That includes following itinerary updates.

Stretched out Monday route had an on-demand pick-up come through that jumbled my whole list, put one of my post offices as the third-to-last stop.

I've been to this PO before but never this late, meaning I've never encountered a situation where I needed to know when they close. Approached the stop today and it was closed. Made a phone call and now I'm looking forward to a meeting in the morning with the center manager and a steward.

I feel like I have nothing to worry about. This missed stop resulted from the directive not to stray from trace and to follow itinerary updates so as to keep our trace numbers up. It could've been avoided had I known this stop's hours of operation, or if there were even a note in the DIAD with their end of day. Moving forward, now I know and will be able to avoid this in the future, but as it stands I just don't know what I don't know, to the point where I don't even know that I should make a call until I pull up to the stop and notice that they're closed.

Any advice, old timers? As it is I'm kind of pissed off but the more I think about it the less this feels like it's truly my problem.

DOK

They’re going to say “we only wanted you to follow it 90%” you reply, “there’s not a tracker in the diad that tells you what percentage you are achieving at a any given time in the day, so I had no choice but to follow 100%”

The dispatch sup can put a closing time in Orion for that stop so Orion will direct you there by closing time.

Mailboxbandit

Working as instructed! Instruct me on how to run this based on your computer system. Always listen closely when they are preaching trace in the PCM. Are they just preaching following trace, or are they instructing trace but not missing commits?

I would normally break off for commits then go all the way back to previous stops.

PPH_over_9000

Working as instructed! Instruct me on how to run this based on your computer system. Always listen closely when they are preaching trace in the PCM. Are they just preaching following trace, or are they instructing trace but not missing commits?

I would normally break off for commits then go all the way back to previous stops.
Problem was, post office has no commit time. They just expect you to be there in time.

I arrived at 17:41, they closed at 17:00.

Typically I roll up to this one around 2pm. my second one on this route around noon and the first one is almost one of my first stops.

This is the kind of stuff that happens when they take three rural routes on a Monday and cram it into one because "LoW vOlUmEeEeEeeee"

9 airs, 140 stops, 157 miles, no pick-ups aside from On-Demands and computer said I should get to my last stop around 22:35. I feel like I kicked the days ass considering I'll be done with my break in 20min.

Thanks for the feedback, y'all.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I would rather they throw me in the office for trace first because I would be able to apply much more pressure before-the-fact and set a precident for having alerted them of incoming service failures. Whatever it takes to draw blood on a decision that alledgedly does not negatively impact them.

Besides, common sense would have it they would need to drag me kicking and screaming before I change my well-estsblished business delivery and pickup timetable. And this does not at all add in the extra issues of public and personal safety concerns that arrise from operating a mcstepvan through town especially after pickups.

And fair warning. Missed packages are piece-by-piece even the bags, if you had a post office stop with 50 plus pieces that probably made you enemy #1 in the district and they will come down hard on you no matter what no matter why. If you sheeted closed after 1700 like some folks panic and do, expect them to have ammunition to try and fire you outright.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

They’re going to say “we only wanted you to follow it 90%” you reply, “there’s not a tracker in the diad that tells you what percentage you are achieving at a any given time in the day, so I had no choice but to follow 100%”

The dispatch sup can put a closing time in Orion for that stop so Orion will direct you there by closing time.
Exactly I’m not a mathematician it’s either 100% or leave me the hell alone and let me do the job

Brownwind

Problem was, post office has no commit time. They just expect you to be there in time.

I arrived at 17:41, they closed at 17:00.

Typically I roll up to this one around 2pm. my second one on this route around noon and the first one is almost one of my first stops.

This is the kind of stuff that happens when they take three rural routes on a Monday and cram it into one because "LoW vOlUmEeEeEeeee"

9 airs, 140 stops, 157 miles, no pick-ups aside from On-Demands and computer said I should get to my last stop around 22:35. I feel like I kicked the days ass considering I'll be done with my break in 20min.

Thanks for the feedback, y'all.
Wow that’s a lot of work for the miles. Are you making sure to take your breaks within the allotted time, obeying speed limits and following methods? If so your good.

You’re probably going to get your hand slapped for delivering a business after five. Unless you’re very new this is pretty common knowledge. They will throw at you 140 stops equals 14 trace breaks. Have a plan with your steward and remember to ask what article you broke.

PPH_over_9000

I would rather they throw me in the office for trace first because I would be able to apply much more pressure before-the-fact and set a precident for having alerted them of incoming service failures. Whatever it takes to draw blood on a decision that alledgedly does not negatively impact them.

Besides, common sense would have it they would need to drag me kicking and screaming before I change my well-estsblished business delivery and pickup timetable. And this does not at all add in the extra issues of public and personal safety concerns that arrise from operating a mcstepvan through town especially after pickups.

And fair warning. Missed packages are piece-by-piece even the bags, if you had a post office stop with 50 plus pieces that probably made you enemy #1 in the district and they will come down hard on you no matter what no matter why. If you sheeted closed after 1700 like some folks panic and do, expect them to have ammunition to try and fire you outright.

Jesus! Luckily it's all country out there, so it was 3pcs + 1 bag.

That's some need-to-know information for sure, though, thanks for that. Thing is, I know that it's a problem to sheet businesses closed after 5 but they're pushing trace hard in my building at every PCM.

I'm not putting it past them to set this kind of trap, but if that's what it is then literally that's all I need to know. If their directions/instructions are leading to situations that can result in discipline then it looks like my supe's need to be put under review, and I've learned over the past few months that grievances are really easy to fill out.

PPH_over_9000

Wow that’s a lot of work for the miles. Are you making sure to take your breaks within the allotted time, obeying speed limits and following methods? If so your good.

You’re probably going to get your hand slapped for delivering a business after five. Unless you’re very new this is pretty common knowledge. They will throw at you 140 stops equals 14 trace breaks. Have a plan with your steward and remember to ask what article you broke.

I take my break but at end of day. After the conversation I had today, though? I'm planning on telling my supes that my breaks going forward are going to be taken between the 4th and 6th hour, typically at 1pm to 2pm, every single day going forward. If there are pick-ups in those windows on whatever route they have me cover, I'll message in through my DIAD prior to clocking into my break.

Going forward, I'm going to tell them, I want all communication to be through DIAD messaging, which I'll screenshot on my phone after every message and I'll ask for a printout of the communications at the end of every day. Furthermore, I'm going to ask that my management team never attempt to call my personal phone, and if possible I would really appreciate if they could go ahead and delete my number while we're all here in the office at the moment.

Things are gonna get fun.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I love when trace is the flavor of the month. I’ll run straight Orion and work three hours over for a couple of days. Collect OT and a 9.5 bonus and they leave me alone for a year. I saw a guy fired for being scolded about trace, followed it the next day 100% and needed to be helped. They said he was “following orders with malicious intent”

Brownwind

I take my break but at end of day. After the conversation I had today, though? I'm planning on telling my supes that my breaks going forward are going to be taken between the 4th and 6th hour, typically at 1pm to 2pm, every single day going forward. If there are pick-ups in those windows on whatever route they have me cover, I'll message in through my DIAD prior to clocking into my break.

Going forward, I'm going to tell them, I want all communication to be through DIAD messaging, which I'll screenshot on my phone after every message and I'll ask for a printout of the communications at the end of every day. Furthermore, I'm going to ask that my management team never attempt to call my personal phone, and if possible I would really appreciate if they could go ahead and delete my number while we're all here in the office at the moment.

Things are gonna get fun.
Please let us know how it goes. We didn’t write the rules but they certainly come after us if we don’t follow them.
Not your problem about the numbers and times. They’ll adjust. Start taking lunch during the day. You will feel better

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Tell them ”You dispatch and know exactly what I have, I will deliver as the trace tells and I never look more than 5 stops ahead” There is no problem until it becomes their problem. The most fun I had my last years before retiring was trying to figure out how to make everything they “demanded” to become their problem.

Brownwind

I love when trace is the flavor of the month. I’ll run straight Orion and work three hours over for a couple of days. Collect OT and a 9.5 bonus and they leave me alone for a year. I saw a guy fired for being scolded about trace, followed it the next day 100% and needed to be helped. They said he was “following orders with malicious intent”
Malicious compliance is the term out here