Flavor of the Month: Following Trace

PPH_over_9000

Trace doesn’t count when using map mode correct? I think management forgets we have MAP mode .
🧔‍♂️🧔‍♂️

Do you use map mode often? I've noticed these past two weeks that completed deliveries still remain as a blue box in map-mode even after completing the stop.

It's kind of coincidental that THAT kind of update rolls out around the same time they start requiring us to follow their trace...

21Savage

They tried that here too. Didn't listen, pretty sure nobody did. they didn't say :censored2:.

Just ran my route how I always do. I was curious though and looked at the ops report and it had me in 82-85% range all week anyways. Made me wonder if they fudged the numbers or following trace doesn't literally mean following orion stop for stop.

Either way I don't care. I'm not doing dumb :censored2: on purpose.

21Savage

I'm sorry, bud, but I think this is almost the exact sentence I'm going to use when/if they call me into the office.

Only difference is I'm going to phrase it as a question.
In my almost 4 years here this is the 2nd time I've seen them pull this. Didn't hear of anyone getting called into the office for it. I did however once get a warning letter from my center manager for cradle usage when that was a flavor of the month. That's been the most ridiculous thing I've been disciplined for thus far.

PPH_over_9000

So getting called into an office is a given for this reason:

During my phone call with my supe, he cut me off to tell me we'd have a discipline meeting with the center manager in the morning.

As I was responding he cut me off again to end my questioning and get his say in.

At that point I got PISSED and told him as respectfully as possible that he's cutting me off and I'd appreciate it if he'd let me finish a thought before he started his, to which he replied he'd appreciate if I knew how to do my job. [**EDIT: HOLY :censored2:, just remembered after he said he'd appreciate if I knew how to do my job, I told him if he wants me to do the job correctly then they need to drop the trace requirement and turn off itinerary updates, to which he laughed and told me to call Carol Tomei and let her know what the problem is. I said "Absolutely, dude, I'll call her right now, you got a good number for me?" Which curved him right back into talking about a meeting with a steward and a center manager.]

After that it was a straight up argument that I literally cannot recall verbatim, but I do remember him telling me he'd be in another building tomorrow (which was today) and that we'd have a meeting with a steward when he came back.

Last edited:

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
They’re going to say “we only wanted you to follow it 90%” you reply, “there’s not a tracker in the diad that tells you what percentage you are achieving at a any given time in the day, so I had no choice but to follow 100%”

The dispatch sup can put a closing time in Orion for that stop so Orion will direct you there by closing time.
better yet ask them where the diad says what percentage you're following trace. get them to say it doesn't say tell you. then ask them how you're supposed to know if it doesn't say.
you must be working a rural route where your area is 30 miles wide because whenever i have a post office, it's the first or second thing off after my airs just to get that volume off the truck so the rest can be organized.

PPH_over_9000

better yet ask them where the diad says what percentage you're following trace. get them to say it doesn't say tell you. then ask them how you're supposed to know if it doesn't say.
RIGHT!

Is it a straight chunk percentage counted by stop, or is it a running percentage based on miles and minutes broken? I have similar questions about average backing speed-- is that calculated over distance travelled or time spent in reverse?

I've literally been thinking about that for the past 10min. I don't think I've drunk enough today if this :censored2: that happened yesterday still has me so :censored2:in' seething, man.

Last edited:

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Do you use map mode often? I've noticed these past two weeks that completed deliveries still remain as a blue box in map-mode even after completing the stop.

It's kind of coincidental that THAT kind of update rolls out around the same time they start requiring us to follow their trace...
I only deliver off the map. My trace is nonsensical. I've never followed it but I'm pretty sure it'd lead me into a crash and a 14 hour day.

Last two weeks - Blue dots stay on map for extended periods of time AND houses I go to every single day are asking me Residential or Commercial. So weird.

PPH_over_9000

you must be working a rural route where your area is 30 miles wide because whenever i have a post office, it's the first or second thing off after my airs just to get that volume off the truck so the rest can be organized.

Mondays are ridiculous, dude.

They crammed three rural routes into one this week and I felt so gosh darn lucky when there was less than 3 miles to my next stop. Craziest part is that rural in Maryland absolutely DOES NOT equal rural in the rest of the country. 150-160 miles in Maryland is ridiculous, in my opinion. It's almost a third of the state.

I basically had every backroad in two counties and half of them in a third that day, with a few neighborhoods and country apartments (entire trailer parks with the same address, about 24 units per street and 15 streets in the neighborhood) thrown in the mix.

Last edited:

JL 0513

RIGHT!

Is it a straight chunk percentage counted by stop, or is it a running percentage based on miles and minutes broken? I have similar questions about average backing speed-- is that calculated over distance travelled or time spent in reverse?

I've literally been thinking about that for the past 10min. I don't think I've drunk enough today if this :censored2: that happened yesterday still has me so :censored2:in' seething, man.

How trace works:

A break is whenever you go backwards in EDD. Except if it's the same street as your next listed stop. Trace is always maintained sheeting the same road in sequence even if that road is broken up throughout the day in Orion. You can actually jump ahead as much as you want but it will likely update and screw your plans up

Whenever a dynamic update occurs, the old trace you were in the middle of is no longer valid. You must follow the new order.

Pickup order doesn't count towards trace. Stick with the timeframe your customers are expecting, not when Orion places them. It sometimes tells me to go to pickups 2-3 hours early. Don't do that.

DOK

Perfect

DOK

How trace works:

A break is whenever you go backwards in EDD. Except if it's the same street as your next listed stop. Trace is always maintained sheeting the same road in sequence even if that road is broken up throughout the day in Orion. You can actually jump ahead as much as you want but it will likely update and screw your plans up

Whenever a dynamic update occurs, the old trace you were in the middle of is no longer valid. You must follow the new order.

Pickup order doesn't count towards trace. Stick with the timeframe your customers are expecting, not when Orion places them. It sometimes tells me to go to pickups 2-3 hours early. Don't do that.
Problem is your Orion delivery stops are setup to get you to that 2:30 pickup that you really don’t make until 4:30

JL 0513

Problem is your Orion delivery stops are setup to get you to that 2:30 pickup that you really don’t make until 4:30
Yup, and this is when you make stupid breaks and take a nice ride to your pickup at the proper time. If this is how UPS wants to play, then play their game. You have to be willing to knowingly do stupid things when they push trace.

wayfair

swollen member
So getting called into an office is a given for this reason:

During my phone call with my supe, he cut me off to tell me we'd have a discipline meeting with the center manager in the morning.

As I was responding he cut me off again to end my questioning and get his say in.
Do yourself a favor and stop using your phone for work. If management wants to talk with you, request a steward everytime, EVERYTIME!!!

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
In my almost 4 years here this is the 2nd time I've seen them pull this. Didn't hear of anyone getting called into the office for it. I did however once get a warning letter from my center manager for cradle usage when that was a flavor of the month. That's been the most ridiculous thing I've been disciplined for thus far.
They are giving warning letters out for not wearing scanner belts on the sorts. Basically the equivelant of not using a Diad pouch.

Apparently it's because the district blame is that folks are breaking the scanners without them when the exact opposite is most likely true.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
They are giving warning letters out for not wearing scanner belts on the sorts. Basically the equivelant of not using a Diad pouch.

Apparently it's because the district blame is that folks are breaking the scanners without them when the exact opposite is most likely true.
Wholly :censored2: that's some BS right there.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
WAD, break them all
IMG_4714.gif

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊

THE RETALIATION HAS BEGUN
✊🧔‍♂️