winter storm jonas

rod

Retired 22 years
How come the weatherman can always predict bad weather a week in advance but if you plan an outdoor activity in the summer because he says it will be nice out-------it rains?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
How come the weatherman can always predict bad weather a week in advance but if you plan an outdoor activity in the summer because he says it will be nice out-------it rains?
Instability in the atmosphere makes rain and thunderstorms harder to predict. In the winter moisture dictates the storms. In the summer it is instability due to heating mixing with the moisture and cooler air. The air flows make predicting that combination much more difficult.

rod

Retired 22 years
Instability in the atmosphere makes rain and thunderstorms harder to predict. In the winter moisture dictates the storms. In the summer it is instability due to heating mixing with the moisture and cooler air. The air flows make predicting that combination much more difficult.

Damn---I started reading this and had to look again to see if it was a Upstate post.

oldngray

nowhere special
Today - Overcast. A few flurries or snow showers possible. High 29 °friend (-1.7 °C). Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph (16.1 to 32.2 kph).

Not too bad.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
blizzard warning starts at midnight in my area tonight calling for 12-18, should be a fun Monday. But we shall see, last year they shut the center down the day before the storm saying we were getting 12-18 and got a whopping 2 inches of snow. center manager said there were not doing that again

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Weather has always fascinated me. That was my college major.

It's all just mathematic equations that predict what they think will happen. Obviously not a perfect science. Never will be. Mother Nature has a mind of her own sometimes.

Temp can be forecasted fairly accurately for long period of time. Like you said instability in the atmosphere especially during the summer makes precip a lot harder.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Weather has always fascinated me. That was my college major.

It's all just mathematic equations that predict what they think will happen. Obviously not a perfect science. Never will be. Mother Nature has a mind of her own sometimes.

Temp can be forecasted fairly accurately for long period of time. Like you said instability in the atmosphere especially during the summer makes precip a lot harder.
Being on a coast, it's seems harder to be accurate with predictions. The more inland places seem to get more accuracy with the flow being tracked over mtns and flat land. When it comes straight from the sea, it's a crap shoot.