Working For FedEx- Orientation soon...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My first day of Orientation was a positive one and plenty of information about my job indeed!

Sorry to break it to you but I am not naïve and don’t misconstrue what you read and take things out of context based on what’s written, they are merely words not actions.

I sensed MrFedEx works for UPS or some other competitor because of the criticism and obviously someone who thinks he has all the answers! Whateva. Like I said, I’ll take what he said as a compliment!

I am working for FedEx Express in the downtown core of a big city. Today we basically went over a lot of paper work, went over the DG training and what to expect on our first day which is Monday when we are taken on a route with a driver to show us around. I have a background in computers so based on the information I gathered today from the trainer, I will have an opportunity to apply for other jobs within FedEx down the road and possibly with IT and customer service related jobs. I will work hard with being a “casual” courier so I am neither part-time or full-time so my hours will certainly be limited.

I understand that there are going to be highs and lows. That can be said about any job in life but I am a very hard worker with anything I do and FedEx will take notice of this.

How many days of training do you get?

I have been with UPS 8 years, full-time for over 3 years. I just bid into a full-time driving job a couple weeks ago. We have 48 hours of paid training. Not including a road test and DOT physical to qualify for the job.

UPS does not take drivers out in vehicles until after over a week of training and safety hoops to jump through.

How does this compare with FedEx training seeing you are going through it?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes, there is 'courier school' in Canada...I hesitated to call it that becuz people think it's a big joke..
I had been with Purolator before Fedex...so going into Fedex,and get all that training and support..I was impressed with the company..and still am.
Being at UPS now,seems like going back in time to Puro days...
I have noticed that alot of negative energy is wasted at UPS towards Fedex..as UPS seems to be very concerned about Fedex's success over them...
I also have noticed how much managers/supervisors at UPS bad mouth each other,employees etc...swearing,calling each other names etc...that was never my experience at Fedex..management seemed alot more professional towards each other..if there was anamosity towards each other..I never witnessed it.
Think it also has alot to do with the local supervisor and how skilled they are at people skills...I know alot of Fedex managers had more education,so maybe that brought up the professionalism?..
Or is this the 'new' workforce of today?..
Total lack of respect toward others..?
I know a few people who worked at UPS and then came aboard at Fedex,and they all said the same thing...Fedex seemed to be better organized/run..and managers seemed to have more respect towards them as human beings..
I walked into the office,where the regional manager was having a speaker phone conversation with his boss at UPS,and the language and name calling coming from that speaker phone was appalling!.. I asked him if this was normal UPS behavior at his level,he nodded, 'yes'..
I never heard such atrocities at either Fedex or Puro..
Maybe this lack of respect towards each other needs to be addressed at UPS..or the entire today's society?
Good luck Mr Newbie Fedex..

How long did you work at UPS and what capacity?

FedEX 4 Life

I know a few people who worked at UPS and then came aboard at Fedex,and they all said the same thing...Fedex seemed to be better organized/run..and managers seemed to have more respect towards them as human beings..
Thats funny,I work in a different counrty from you yet I've heard the exact same thing.

Island Girl,get ready to be bombarded by the regular cast of clown characters trying to discredit you on working for UPS.

Last edited:

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Fedex will bombard you with info initally,so it may seem a bit of overkill,but it's nice to have all the info available

There was an old joke... "How many FredEx managers does it take to change a light bulb?" Answer...who knows, the "People Manual" doesn't have provisions for management to perform work related tasks!

whereas Fedex does not tolerate O/T much at all
What a joke, probably half of the couriers AND handlers in my station are AVERAGING 10-20 hours a week, but we run on the "sop it up with the biggest biscuit you can find" rules of engagement...lol :knockedout:

SmithBarney

I am confused I thought there was a hiring freeze at express. Has that been lifted?

Depends, we just hired a off the street part time route driver cause the last two JCATS transfers left because of the lack of hours, yet we are threatened that we have to cut routes and possibly couriers..
why we are hiring? I have no idea...

FedEX 4 Life

Im getting asked all the time by people if Fedex is hiring.Even a lawyer on my route asked about this.I thought he was joking.Turns out hes serious,his medical coverage costs him upwards of $1000 a month.