Worst Supervisor or manager you've ever had...

The bad ones aren't worth my effort to remember. We currently have an on-road on Belt1 (I hope he reads this) in a Southern NH center who bleeds brown. The following story is absolutely true...

2 peaks ago, about 1 week before Xmas if I remember correctly, his brother-in-law died, DIED, in his house. (I knew him from a route I used to cover and he was a very nice guy, I felt horrible) He passed after a long battle with cancer and this supervisor left his wife that morning, she just lost her brother for christ sakes, to come in the building to handle the cardboard.

Really?? Seriously?? What type of person reasons that boxes are more important than family at a time like that (SCREW PEAK) and is this a symptom of his personality or the 'programming' he received in management training?

Just to be clear, he has been an on-road forever and is not now, or ever, mentioned as a center manager candidate.

I will never, ever, NEVER have any respect for this person. Your actions have completely negated any positive action you will ever take in our center, not that you have any...

I had a sup that his mom died one morning he took care of funeral arraignments and then came back to work

Dustyroads

Originally Posted by Mike23
Not even to pee on his grave?! :surprised:

Reminds me of the two Irishmen who had been life long friends, one says to the other, "Patty, we've been buds for so long, will you promise that when I die you'll pour a fifth of good Irish whiskey over me grave?" His buddy looked at him and replied, "I'll be happy to, do you mind if I run it through me kidney's first?"

Tony31yrs

Many years ago, when I first started at UPS, we had a hub manager that was a complete idiot. He was transferred to out district because someone threw a bag over his head, beat him up and locked him in a trailer. He was always concerned with the little things while not seeing the big problems. He would complain about paper or styrofoam on the floor while packages were getting compacted on the belts. He filled in for our belt supervisor for a week and kept the first trailer past it's departure time so that he could fill it up. He wound up sending the next one out with only the nose filled on a windy, stormy night. The feeder driver was pissed. When he went over to delivery, he rode with one driver who had to go to the bathroom on route. He told him not to flush the toilet so that he could check if he actually went. For this, he acquired the nickname "Turd Inspector". All of the other management also realized what a total buffoon he was. He finally screwed up enough so that they transferred him again. I think he went to Texas where someone beat him up again and he finally quit UPS. We had other bad ones, including one really pr*cky one called "the snake", but he was the most incompetent.

Hedley_Lamarr

My current center manager I'm sorry to say. The guy is a complete stiff. He's had me in the office twice since he took over, both times it was for something I didn't do. Once it was for a mis delivered package, I wasn't even in that area the previous day. He's just like "uuuuhhh hmm, uuuhhh lets see here, I uuuuhhhh thought it was you." Whilst he fiddles with papers on his desk. The other time he tried to tell me that 45 minutes PM time in the building. I said "Oh really." Then I pulled out my little note book and said, "Lets see here, I finnished my last stop at 16 Campus at 7:22, I was in the yard at 7:26. I went in the front gate fuled up at pump number 1, put in 10 gallons. Then I went to the clerks and unloaded my clerk work 5 pieces. Then I went to the air building and dumped off my airs 57 pieces. Then I backed in, and was punched out at exactly 7:39, so according to my notes here I had exactly 13 minutes PM time." Again, "uuuuhhh hmm, uuuhhh lets see here, I uuuuhhhh thought it was you." Whilst he fiddles with papers on his desk. I hate when somebody calls me on the carpet for something I didn't do, and then doesn't have his ducks in a row....

babsjean

I was on light duty in the middle of winter and worked nights on the car wash. Full time supervisor refused to put the heat on in the building. Like it was coming out of his pocket. He was also one of those sneaky guys constantly spying on everyone.

Welp, he quit to go work for DHL before they crapped the bed. Would be a shame if he was one of the people to fall victim to their subsequent downsizing :wink2:.
Your building has heat?

Hedley_Lamarr

Many years ago, when I first started at UPS, we had a hub manager that was a complete idiot. He was transferred to out district because someone threw a bag over his head, beat him up and locked him in a trailer. He was always concerned with the little things while not seeing the big problems. He would complain about paper or styrofoam on the floor while packages were getting compacted on the belts. He filled in for our belt supervisor for a week and kept the first trailer past it's departure time so that he could fill it up. He wound up sending the next one out with only the nose filled on a windy, stormy night. The feeder driver was pissed. When he went over to delivery, he rode with one driver who had to go to the bathroom on route. He told him not to flush the toilet so that he could check if he actually went. For this, he acquired the nickname "Turd Inspector". All of the other management also realized what a total buffoon he was. He finally screwed up enough so that they transferred him again. I think he went to Texas where someone beat him up again and he finally quit UPS. We had other bad ones, including one really pr*cky one called "the snake", but he was the most incompetent.
Ya know I've heard stories about ridiculous sheet at UPS, but telling a guy not to flush??!?! That is just EFFFFFED up, even by UPS EFFFFED up standards. That guy had some serious issues....

rod

Retired 22 years

If this was about any other company besides UPS I think we would all say "bull" but anyone who has been around UPS for awhile knows how sad but true this could be. To this day people call me a liar when I tell them about having a stopwatch ran on me while I took a bathroom break---by a girl. (she did stay outside the door if that is any conciliation)

tardus

Over the years, I must say that I've had some real doozies for supervisors at UPS. Once a hazardous package broke open in the Hub. I was literally standing IN the hazardous waste. I told my supervisor that I didn't feel good and had to leave. He said that if I left, I was FIRED. I left and had to WALK to the emergency room where the doctor said that it was a good thing I left because the organic compound would have eaten up my lungs. The supervisor arrived (by car) a half hour later to ask the doctor if I really needed medical attention. Needless to say that after a call to the Union (and OSHA), I got my job back the next day. Experiences such as this give you an appreciation for how important it is to have a Union in the workplace!

upssup

As both a Mechanic and now a Supervisor with UPS I have seen the best and worst of both. My only gripe about the employee side is that your effort and willingness to do your job, got you nowhere as far as promotions, job changes or pay raises. The only thing that did was the date you started with the company. I was lower seniority than some slugs and I got frustrated with that concept.

amiflitzer

Probably the worst supervisor I have ever had is now my ex-supervisor. He was arrested by the local police for his involvement in a theft ring. From what we have been told it at least involves him, other managers, preloaders, and drivers. This is shaping up to be the single strangest week in my UPS career.

slantnosechevy

As both a Mechanic and now a Supervisor with UPS I have seen the best and worst of both. My only gripe about the employee side is that your effort and willingness to do your job, got you nowhere as far as promotions, job changes or pay raises. The only thing that did was the date you started with the company. I was lower seniority than some slugs and I got frustrated with that concept.

Thats your opinion that they were slugs. Whenever I hear some manager complaining about an hourly's production, I tell them the company hires them and the union is forced to defend them. There is a probation period. Management is too lazy to take the time and do a good evaluation. Seniority keeps some brown nosing, no service, working off the clock rat from leap frogging over someone who laces them up every morning and goes out there and does the job by the methods, drives safely, and gets the cardboard to the right address. Seniority is earned...end of story.

hdkappler

:happy2:i was with brown 30 yrs.i only had one (1)center manager that i didn't like.in all the 30years.he was hateful.had it in for all drivers.never filed a grevance in 30yrs.the fact i was there 30yrs.had one workman's comp claim.he had it in for me.won't say his name,but intials are G.V.was the last c.m.after my last day i never saw him again.i won't be at his funeral i don't think any driver will.i have never worked for anyone that i disliked except.for him.i'am not the type of person who hates anyone.(just him)the way he treated me.c.m. at peoria,il.2001-2004.:devil3:
anyone on this site from ky.i think he is a mgr.or div.mgr.down there.i feel sorry for anyone who works for him.my last year with brown was the worst.thanks to g.v.