Mesm23

I'm a new hire package handler at the CACH facility near the Chicagoland. Was told they had an PT mechanic opening. Is it really worth it and what are chances of going full time? I'm assuming they are IAM Local 701. Have 8 years experience and was previous 701 member.

I'm a new hire package handler at the CACH facility near the Chicagoland. Was told they had an PT mechanic opening. Is it really worth it and what are chances of going full time? I'm assuming they are IAM Local 701. Have 8 years experience and was previous 701 member.
in palatine their looking for full time mechanics

Gear

Parts on Order
You will have the chance to bid on the next full time bid. Even if a full time guy moves from center a to center b, he left a spot,
so you can take that one. Which would leave the part time bid for a off the street hire.

Take the position. Once in the position you will find out who the next one is to retire.

Gear

Parts on Order
Part time package handlers start off at $10. Mechanics start off around $20. Around here IAM (full time) progression is 2 years to top rate. Im not sure about part time but it has to be better than part time Teamsters.

Gear

Parts on Order
Centers that have odd ball numbers of trucks have part time mechanics.

Example. 57 trucks .
Not enough to have 2 mechanics but to much for 1 mech. This guy would be sending out work which costs more money then doing repairs in house. Other option would be to have mechs from other centers to come in on a regular basis to help. But now the "helper" needs to work over time to get his work finished, which cost more money.

Mesm23

Part time package handlers start off at $10. Mechanics start off around $20. Around here IAM (full time) progression is 2 years to top rate. Im not sure about part time but it has to be better than part time Teamsters.

Ah ok. That is a quick progression and a higher starting rate compared to the dealer apprenticeship, which is 5 years to get journeyman rate. So the top rate would be the same as a journeyman from a dealer or does UPS set the top rate?

Gear

Parts on Order
Ah ok. That is a quick progression and a higher starting rate compared to the dealer apprenticeship, which is 5 years to get journeyman rate. So the top rate would be the same as a journeyman from a dealer or does UPS set the top rate?

Unions set the top rate. Im 36.?? an hour. Our healthcare is free, we pay low copays. Our dental is free and excellent. Vision is free and ok. These benefits are for all UPS union employees. IAM pension is close to $89 a day. Basically $11 an hour goes into your pension (straight time, on top of hourly rate). Car and heavy truck dealers wont come close to our total compensation.

The worse part of our job is the working hours. Most package car mech bids are 7p-330a, M-friend. The only daylight hours we have are at a hub working on tractors. But those are taken by the top seniority guys. Chances of getting one are slime and probably decades away.

Another negative thing is we get 0 training. You will never go to school to keep up with vehicle advancements. So if you like staying up to date with the latest and greatest, this place isnt a good fit.

Ive had a few jobs, dealers, union and non union jobs. This is the best overall job. Only 1 job in my city beats this and you need political friends to get in.

Your job could be slightly different in your area. Teamster mechs have a 4 year progression, you need to know which union it is.

If you're a heavy equipment or heavy truck mechanic, this job will seem easier. If you're a car mech, you'll probably be thinking, "WTF is this," alot.

My suggestion is take the job, try it out and make a decision. You can always quit and go somewhere else.

Mesm23

Ok thanks for the info and I'll try it out. I come from union ford dealership and did couple of truck diesel work so that should help a bit.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've never heard of UPS saying a mechanic had too much work. I'm not saying the mechanic didn't--I'm saying UPS never admitted it. Our old mechanic would be rolling over in his grave if he heard that.

Gear

Parts on Order
I've never heard of UPS saying a mechanic had too much work. I'm not saying the mechanic didn't--I'm saying UPS never admitted it. Our old mechanic would be rolling over in his grave if he heard that.

Technology has changed alot over the years. An old package car with no power steering, telematics and no keyless anything would be alot easier to keep on the road. There wasn't much to troubleshoot or even maintain. Maybe a total 20 wires running through the entire truck.

Now we have diesel with no egr, with egr, DPF and SCR (def). Truck might come in with no regen and shutdown light on. Could be a simple sensor, maybe wiring, maybe a glitch in programming, could be anything. Sometimes it takes time to troubleshoot the problem. These problems didn't exist in the 80s or earlier.

The work has become more technical, which adds time. Thats why alot of current mechanics prefer to be called technicians rather than mechanic. So its not really, " to much work", but way more technical work.

rod

Retired 22 years
Technology has changed alot over the years. An old package car with no power steering, telematics and no keyless anything would be alot easier to keep on the road. There wasn't much to troubleshoot or even maintain. Maybe a total 20 wires running through the entire truck.

Now we have diesel with no egr, with egr, DPF and SCR (def). Truck might come in with no regen and shutdown light on. Could be a simple sensor, maybe wiring, maybe a glitch in programming, could be anything. Sometimes it takes time to troubleshoot the problem. These problems didn't exist in the 80s or earlier.

The work has become more technical, which adds time. Thats why alot of current mechanics prefer to be called technicians rather than mechanic. So its not really, " to much work", but way more technical work.

Our old mechanic could fix any of those problems. He would just cover the idiot light with black tape and send it back out on the road. He was noted for that.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Earlier you stated no training.

You would have to be trained on those situations.

Gear

Parts on Order
Earlier you stated no training.

You would have to be trained on those situations.

Exactly, which takes more time to fumble through. We do on the job training, OJT. Our training is calling other centers to talk to the mech who is familiar with the problem. We also have, "tech tips", but those can be written by anyone. Even guys who have no idea what they are doing.

I started in my 30s and was already trained up to SCR systems. Plus I do alot of side work and have my own JPRO for diagnostics. Any advancements after SCR and I will be blind. Examples, natural gas, CNG, LNG. The only gas engine experience I have came from working here.