Wow! Suddenly Even Worse Dental Covetage

MassWineGuy

I’ve had the same great dentist for years. They’re out of network and I’ve been ok with it. I’ve been covered for many crowns and other things, despite a $2,000/year benefit max.

Now another dental issue has arisen. I looked on the Cigna website and found that they’re limiting coverage for crowns to one crown every 86 months (seven years).

This is not mentioned at all in the materials sent to employees explaining the various plan options. I realize those descriptions are not the plan document, but still.

Is Cigna just the administrator and FedEx pays? I think there’s a decent case for legal action to recover costs.

Has anyone dealt with this?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I’ve had the same great dentist for years. They’re out of network and I’ve been ok with it. I’ve been covered for many crowns and other things, despite a $2,000/year benefit max.

Now another dental issue has arisen. I looked on the Cigna website and found that they’re limiting coverage for crowns to one crown every 86 months (seven years).

This is not mentioned at all in the materials sent to employees explaining the various plan options. I realize those descriptions are not the plan document, but still.

Is Cigna just the administrator and FedEx pays? I think there’s a decent case for legal action to recover costs.

A decent case for legal action because they’re cutting benefits yet again? You DO realize there are companies that don’t even offer dental benefits, right? What makes you think legal action would fix this?

MassWineGuy

No, not because of any ethical thing. Because the policy was changed without any warning. It’s a contract between us and them. If they want to change it, adequate notification is needed.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No, not because of any ethical thing. Because the policy was changed without any warning. It’s a contract between us and them. If they want to change it, adequate notification is needed.
Did you sign a contract guaranteeing that you were entitled to specific benefits?

zeev

Express chose no union no contract ,expect benefits to be revoked on a regular basis to drive out the Express drivers.

MassWineGuy

Did you sign a contract guaranteeing that you were entitled to specific benefits?

Again, that’s not the point. It’s a matter of contract law. Sure, they can change anything they want. But not without notification. I realize we’re all brilliant legal minds here. Myself included.

Serf

Federal Express hasn’t been a serious company for a long time. 7 years in between crowns or similar procedures is a bit excessive. I’ve been quietly planning my escape from this place for a while now.

It will be fine

Again, that’s not the point. It’s a matter of contract law. Sure, they can change anything they want. But not without notification. I realize we’re all brilliant legal minds here. Myself included.
With major medical insurance there are regulations on informing the participants of the coverage at the renewal date. I know I have to document how I sent that information out. My health insurance company will hound me with emails if I don’t enter that info into their portal.

I don’t have the same requirement for the dental and vision coverage. I send the info out at the same time but from my experience it seems like less of an issue with vision/dental.

Cheesypurpletees

Is this 1 replacement crown of the same tooth every 7 years? Or just any crowns in general?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
But isn't the contract with FedEx and not the employee?

Next time use your brilliant mind for discernment, not emotion.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Correct. Without a collective bargaining agreement, your benefits can disappear and it is not legally actionable.A union contract spells out exactly what you get or don't get. Maybe we should have gone union, eh? Over the years, Express employees have lost numerous benefits, from shift differentials to profit sharing. Expect continued takeaways as Raj attempts to make good on his multiple promises to increase profitability and cut costs.
The pilots just got a 30% raise in both pay and pension, so what Fred/Raj giveth, they taketh away elsewhere. Historically, ANY benefit "increase" or appearance of an enhancement, has been accompanied by a takeaway that evened it out financially for The Prime Weasel.

zeev

Just saw on Facebook person with a 70 tier healthcare plan 8400 deductible and now United healthcare will pay 70% at that rate no need for merger just make all the Express employees, Ground rate and be done it’s it.

FedexCares

I almost don’t blame Fedex when it comes to things like this. Healthcare cost in this country is and has been spiraling out of control at a rapid pace and unless something is done at the national level to rein it in somehow nobody except the very top tier of employers are going to be offering any type of real medical insurance in the years to come. It’s just too damn expensive.

yadig

I almost don’t blame Fedex when it comes to things like this. Healthcare cost in this country is and has been spiraling out of control at a rapid pace and unless something is done at the national level to rein it in somehow nobody except the very top tier of employers are going to be offering any type of real medical insurance in the years to come. It’s just too damn expensive.
That’s what they want you to believe. Good to see you on the corporate side of things