Young Drivers

Griff

You should also REREAD the contract if you have so much more seniority then me.

Seniority doesn't give you the right to refuse your own work. It gives you the right to take extra work or deny it as long as some one with less/more is present at the same time.

Why your guys panties are all in a bunch because some one actually performs at his job :rolleyes:

Everyone who gets paid by UPS as a driver performs at their job, whether you want to believe that or not. Most just understand the basic math and logic behind being an hourly employee, this is foreign to you. Just wait until you get a gungho center manager at your center, you won't have to help anyone else because the work will be added to your route permanently. If your "burning up" routes as a swing driver, that is just plain idiotic. Are you one of the geniuses that shows up at pickups 3hrs early and leaves because they aren't ready? I have a feeling you don't really burn routes up, maybe in your mind you do, but if you are getting back later than 5pm you aren't burning anything up.

tourists24

Dont worry DT,,, you wont have to bring my airs in.... mgt will simply add the 20 stops to you (without asking) that I cant handle... keep up the pace.

VTBrown

Everyone who gets paid by UPS as a driver performs at their job, whether you want to believe that or not. Most just understand the basic math and logic behind being an hourly employee, this is foreign to you. Just wait until you get a gungho center manager at your center, you won't have to help anyone else because the work will be added to your route permanently. If your "burning up" routes as a swing driver, that is just plain idiotic. Are you one of the geniuses that shows up at pickups 3hrs early and leaves because they aren't ready? I have a feeling you don't really burn routes up, maybe in your mind you do, but if you are getting back later than 5pm you aren't burning anything up.

Ouch griff...you hurt my little feelings.

You tool.

guzzi71

Can do it when I get around to it.
From VT.....Why your guys panties are all in a bunch because some one actually performs at his job :rolleyes:
VT, circus animals preform.We do this for a living,do you know what they do to circus animals when the don't(Perform) anymore? You are no exception.

VTBrown

Well...duh, when you can no longer perform at your job....UPS should somehow just let you be?

Sounds like a good business practice right there!

upsgrunt

Well...duh, when you can no longer perform at your job....UPS should somehow just let you be?

Sounds like a good business practice right there!

So when you wrench your knee tomorrow "burning up a route" you think it is ok for UPS to just toss you to the curb because you are no longer useful to them? This job is a marathon, not a sprint, and you are setting yourself up for exactly what you are asking for.

VTBrown

Can you read? Did you read this post before you offered your opinion?

If you had.....you'd have read that I do not run. :naive:

DS

Fenderbender
VT.......... You also claimed in a former post that you were an offensive lineman.
Now you are just an offensive ups driver.You seem to be a know it all .
Dont you realize you will get older too? Do you think UPS would go under if you stop (not) running for them,or if you get hurt or quit?
Buddy,you are just a number like the rest of us.

UPS Lifer

...They are members but take no interest in the union and probably rarely vote. I fear that their waning interest doesnt bode well for the future of the union if this is a nationwide problem. Any comments?

Mikeb....You really brought up a great topic - Nice Job!!!

Getting back to the topic of the thread. Nobody has addressed how the "Y Generation influence has impacted the topic of this thread.

You are talking about "Generation Y". Generation Y grew up in a different time then the Great Generation or the Baby Boomers or even the X Gen. The union needs to identify what the values are and address these with it's younger constituency.

The union may need to adjust the way they conduct meetings and activities to promote interest from the various generations. Identify what is important with each generation and address those values and you will get more participation in union activities.

If changes are not made as younger workers continue to fill the ranks the union will continue to weaken and may lose ground with other unions that recognize and utilize the strengths of Generation Y.

upsgrunt

Can you read? Did you read this post before you offered your opinion?

If you had.....you'd have read that I do not run. :naive:

You know, your attitude stinks----with a capital SUCKS!! You'd be surprised what I read and have read. You and Griff and 1989 must be brothers-everything you say and do is right and everyone else is wrong. Does your arm ever get tired of patting yourself on the back?

upsman29

When the time comes that my knee can't take the punishment? I'll bid into Feeders or a 22.3.
I hope for you its alot easier to bid on those jobs at your center than mine....Ive worked here for 20 years and im still many full moons away from being able to bid into those jobs...As far as your knees and the many injuries you've had with them you'll be lucky to see a pension...Keep burning those routes up and UPS will be buying you out soon enough..... For all those other guys skipping lunch think of this, for every 8 guys at your center who skips lunch thats a route not needed if everyone would take their lunch between the 4th and 6th hr everyday everyone would be able to see their family early because they would
eventually have to put that extra route in to not miss business stops...It wouldnt happen at first but after a few conference calls with the division manager things would have to change...

Last edited:

browned out

I hope for your its alot easier to bid on those jobs at your center than mine....Ive worked here for 20 years and im still many full moons away from being able to bid into those jobs...As far as your knees and the many injuries you've had with them you'll be lucky to see a pension...Keep burning those routes up and UPS will be buying you out soon enough..... For all those other guys skipping lunch think of this, for every 8 guys at your center who skips lunch thats a route not needed if everyone would take their lunch between the 4th and 6th hr everyday everyone would be able to see their family early because they would
eventually have to put that extra route in to not miss business stops...It wouldnt happen at first but after a few conference calls with the division manager things would have to change...

Right, and that injury buy out does't go far. 3 guys I know got an average of 120,000. Not much for bustin your knees, back, elbows,ankes,nuts and whatever else can hurt.

I like the fact that in CA the DIAD shuts down for the lunch period. (or so Ive heard)

upsman29

These young guys talk about how slow the old times are on their route I guess they've never seen the instructional videos they show us from time to time..... I figure if thats how they have to work then ill follow their lead....

VTBrown

This is were you are wrong. It's the biggest myth at UPS.

Running a lunch DOES NOT relate to having less routes on. If you have any idea at all about how UPS dispatches you'd know that one.

They get a magical number that tells them how many stops per car need to dispatched. They can either decide to be hero's and cut a route or be the goat and add a route.

What it all boils down to is the fact that skipping your lunch only gets you in an hour earlier.

upsman29

This is were you are wrong. It's the biggest myth at UPS.

Running a lunch DOES NOT relate to having less routes on. If you have any idea at all about how UPS dispatches you'd know that one.

They get a magical number that tells them how many stops per car need to dispatched. They can either decide to be hero's and cut a route or be the goat and add a route.

What it all boils down to is the fact that skipping your lunch only gets you in an hour earlier.
OK rookie let me explain.....Say you can run 15 stops per hr and your pickups take 2 hrs to complete you start them at 3pm....You start at 9am that means by 1:50 you would have to be done with all businesses at the 15 stops an hr that would be about 72 business stops now if you skip lunch you can run another 15 stops of businesses which would be 87 stops....Had you taken your lunch those extra stops would have had to be put on someone else because you cant be 2 places at once and we all know you DO NOT miss pickups...UPS's magical number is for little wanna be management dudes like you that they can abuse because you do know any better....I dont care what the computer says I should be able to run because a human made it think that way and humans are wrong more often than not....Get on the CAR stop using time studies that are 25 years old and see if the numbers are off in most cases they are also not all but most are....You are such a sucker fed ex lost such a go getter.........

VTBrown

OK rookie let me explain.....Say you can run 15 stops per hr and your pickups take 2 hrs to complete you start them at 3pm....You start at 9am that means by 1:50 you would have to be done with all businesses at the 15 stops an hr that would be about 72 business stops now if you skip lunch you can run another 15 stops of businesses which would be 87 stops....Had you taken your lunch those extra stops would have had to be put on someone else because you cant be 2 places at once and we all know you DO NOT miss pickups...UPS's magical number is for little wanna be management dudes like you that they can abuse because you do know any better....I dont care what the computer says I should be able to run because a human made it think that way and humans are wrong more often than not....Get on the CAR stop using time studies that are 25 years old and see if the numbers are off in most cases they are also not all but most are....You are such a sucker fed ex lost such a go getter.........

Ok dork.....let me try and say this r e a l s l o w so you can understand me.
I'm a cover driver......duh - I'm getting the same dispatch the bid driver is getting on e v e r y route that I do.

Did you follow that? Should I cut and paste so you have to REREAD it?

I seem to be missing something here......what planet err....center are you from where you work from 9 to 5? I mean honestly here. Damn dude....I want to come work at your center so I can get an 8 hour dispatch on a local commercial route!

You seem to be forgetting one thing.....I have not attacked anyone here until I was attacked by you all.

You attack the guy who runs his lunch and goes home...but every single one of you tools turn your head the other way when drivers are taking their lunches or breaks at the end of the day, when their work is done. I see it all the time.

It's the same thing. I just don't sit there at the center for an hour every night or at the local gas station waiting for my lunch to be over. :smart:

upsman29

I'm a cover driver......duh - I'm getting the same dispatch the bid driver is getting on e v e r y route that I do.

I seem to be missing something here......what planet err....center are you from where you work from 9 to 5? I mean honestly here. Damn dude....I want to come work at your center so I can get an 8 hour dispatch on a local commercial route!

You seem to be forgetting one thing.....I have not attacked anyone here until I was attacked by you all.

You attack the guy who runs his lunch and goes home...but every single one of you tools turn your head the other way when drivers are taking their lunches or breaks at the end of the day, when their work is done. I see it all the time.

It's the same thing. I just don't sit there at the center for an hour every night or at the local gas station waiting for my lunch to be over. :smart:

You're unreal dude maybe that 6th grade education is something to be proud of where you're from but it doesnt do squat for you here....I was explaining how not taking a lunch adds stops to your day and by taking a lunch it would alter the business delivery side of your day....I only spoke of business stops because residental delivery stops never close and can be delivered anytime during the day or evening/night....I never said a word about getting off at 5pm....If you take your lunch during the 4th and 6th hr you cant deliver as many businesses as you can by skipping it and if you cant make all your business stops and miss a few then they would have to lower the business stops on that route...Im not saying screw the company by working slow give an honest days work for an honest days pay and if you cant do it then oh well....Its their problem....

Griff

You're unreal dude maybe that 6th grade education is something to be proud of where you're from but it doesnt do squat for you here....I was explaining how not taking a lunch adds stops to your day and by taking a lunch it would alter the business delivery side of your day....I only spoke of business stops because residental delivery stops never close and can be delivered anytime during the day or evening/night....I never said a word about getting off at 5pm....If you take your lunch during the 4th and 6th hr you cant deliver as many businesses as you can by skipping it and if you cant make all your business stops and miss a few then they would have to lower the business stops on that route...Im not saying screw the company by working slow give an honest days work for an honest days pay and if you cant do it then oh well....Its their problem....

Why bother? He doesn't understand the gravity of the lunch situation. This is the same type of :censored2: that doesn't understand why split raises are a bad thing. Some people are just destined to be clueless and without common sense for their entire life. He also doesn't have a bid and doesn't understand what he is in for once he does win one. I have seen many drivers like him finally get their own route and management blows the stop count through the roof, it becomes a glorified split for the surrounding area. I know this type all too well, he'll be the guy who rebids on a different route every year after he runs his route into the ground.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
Why bother? He doesn't understand the gravity of the lunch situation. This is the same type of :censored2: that doesn't understand why split raises are a bad thing. Some people are just destined to be clueless and without common sense for their entire life. He also doesn't have a bid and doesn't understand what he is in for once he does win one. I have seen many drivers like him finally get their own route and management blows the stop count through the roof, it becomes a glorified split for the surrounding area. I know this type all too well, he'll be the guy who rebids on a different route every year after he runs his route into the ground.

I have never seen such retarded responses to a driver that actually works hard. Remember, he doesn't have his own route yet. Why would you want some lazy :censored2: filling in your route? Just to make you look good, when all you do is milk your route? VTbrown can do my route anytime.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.

I hear you brother. There's a lot of old timers that use this forum to bash younger guys like myself. It gets old. I will probably just have to add a forum to my web site so that the newer drivers don't have to deal with the older guys, set in their ways.