< 1 year 22.4 - Basic questions about vacation and promotion

Boston25

Hello, I've been a 22.4 driver for almost a year, and there are some things about the company that I still don't know. Every job I've had in the past, the company will provide an employee handbook so everyone knows every policy for everything. Does UPS have one of these? I can't find it on Upsers.com.

I've looked into the Master Contract, but it doesn't seem to directly answer a lot of my questions- or it's not clear if the specific clause relates to me or not.

I want that guidebook to answer questions like this:

1. Do I earn vacation in the first year, but can't use it till my 9th month... or do I start accruing at month 9?

2. Do vacation hours roll over if unused?

3. What are sick-day and other attendance rules? Is it a point-based system?

4. Does going from 22.4 > RCPD require me to watch out for a bid-sheet, or will promotions occur in line of seniority?

5. If I'm an off-the-street driver, will drivers hired after me have seniority if they've been package handlers since before I was hired off the street?
What Local are you in?

PPH_over_9000

I guess Art 22.4 are considered FT inside employees?

I mean... I could see how it could be construed that way, what with the contractual language regarding 22.4's. Realistically, though, none of the 22.4's in my center have worked inside since we went FT.

As far as I can tell, in practice 22.4's are just second-class RPCDs with less rights and protections. We might as well be called PCDs.

EDIT: :censored2:, I didn't realize there was a second page to this thread. Thought nobody had responded to you yet.

DriverNerd

Yeah, this is old, so I'll just add a little more since it was brought up for anyone in the future that finds it.

Just to add to the vacation thing...you are only eligible for vacation if you work enough hours the previous year. Now, unless you're hurt that won't be a problem, but if you're on disability for a year don't expect vacation when you come back.

And as said before, you qualify for vacation after one full year. If your first full year is up just before or at peak, you do not get your vacations for that year and they are paid out.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Yeah, this is old, so I'll just add a little more since it was brought up for anyone in the future that finds it.

Just to add to the vacation thing...you are only eligible for vacation if you work enough hours the previous year. Now, unless you're hurt that won't be a problem, but if you're on disability for a year don't expect vacation when you come back.

And as said before, you qualify for vacation after one full year. If your first full year is up just before or at peak, you do not get your vacations for that year and they are paid out.
Sorry man but the way vacation works is all based on your supplemental contract. So that information only pertains to your area.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
With no possibility of an 8 hour requests and no 9.5 language to protect them. Hey but at least RPCDs don’t have to work weekends anymore.

Greatest contract ever.
Except, they beg all the RPCDs to work Saturdays anyway so they can push a ton of work on Saturday and lighten up Monday so they can cut splits and avoid having those splits become new bid routes.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Hello, I've been a 22.4 driver for almost a year, and there are some things about the company that I still don't know. Every job I've had in the past, the company will provide an employee handbook so everyone knows every policy for everything. Does UPS have one of these? I can't find it on Upsers.com.

I've looked into the Master Contract, but it doesn't seem to directly answer a lot of my questions- or it's not clear if the specific clause relates to me or not.

I want that guidebook to answer questions like this:

1. Do I earn vacation in the first year, but can't use it till my 9th month... or do I start accruing at month 9?

2. Do vacation hours roll over if unused?

3. What are sick-day and other attendance rules? Is it a point-based system?

4. Does going from 22.4 > RCPD require me to watch out for a bid-sheet, or will promotions occur in line of seniority?

5. If I'm an off-the-street driver, will drivers hired after me have seniority if they've been package handlers since before I was hired off the street?

YOU’LL BE NEVER BE A RPCD 😂

🧔✊